WHAT HAPPENS NOW AT EAST AND CENTRAL?

bearcat100

I am not sure a veteran middle school coach, even with a couple years at the high school level is the right fit. There is no comparison between middle school athletics and high school athletics. It is apples to oranges. Not saying it will not work, but it will be tough. High School athletics is basically year round now. Everything is more intense. It is just a different game. Middle school sports, as it should be, is much more laid back. About a tenth the amount of pressure a HS varsity coach experiences. The dynamics are just different. I just feel a coach who had spent their career as at the middle school level would need about 5 years at the high school level to adjust to the transition. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to him. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure a veteran middle school coach, even with a couple years at the high school level is the right fit. There is no comparison between middle school athletics and high school athletics. It is apples to oranges. Not saying it will not work, but it will be tough. High School athletics is basically year round now. Everything is more intense. It is just a different game. Middle school sports, as it should be, is much more laid back. About a tenth the amount of pressure a HS varsity coach experiences. The dynamics are just different. I just feel a coach who had spent their career as at the middle school level would need about 5 years at the high school level to adjust to the transition. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to him. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

Well at Central, heck they need just about anything to get them rolling. Let the middle school coaches get their chance, they can't do much worse than what was already there. Should be interesting to see what is produced at Central in two years.

Still don't see how Central is a 5A school. Seems to me like they would be much more competitive at a 4A level. I guess when things are redrawn in 2013 we might see Central East South and North all in the same conference perhaps?

Well at Central, heck they need just about anything to get them rolling. Let the middle school coaches get their chance, they can't do much worse than what was already there. Should be interesting to see what is produced at Central in two years.

Still don't see how Central is a 5A school. Seems to me like they would be much more competitive at a 4A level. I guess when things are redrawn in 2013 we might see Central East South and North all in the same conference perhaps?

South and Central are getting smaller,D-B and Science Hill are getting larger. Central only had 25 fewer students than South at last re-classification. Central was next to last school in 5A and South 6th from bottom. Both will drop at next re-classification. The biggest problem TSSAA has to address is what to do with D-B and Science Hill. They are growing themselves into isolation. They are Metro sized schools in a geographically isolated area.The closest schools their size are Sevier Co. and Jeff Co. Central and South will both be more competitive at4A.

South and Central are getting smaller,D-B and Science Hill are getting larger. Central only had 25 fewer students than South at last re-classification. Central was next to last school in 5A and South 6th from bottom. Both will drop at next re-classification. The biggest problem TSSAA has to address is what to do with D-B and Science Hill. They are growing themselves into isolation. They are Metro sized schools in a geographically isolated area.The closest schools their size are Sevier Co. and Jeff Co. Central and South will both be more competitive at4A.

So, for instance, do you think both schools would benefit from building new schools in both of the areas high school wise? At least then they could compete in something different. Wouldn't be quite the same tho!! I still would love to see one big huge washington county high school. Its too bad we couldn't consolidate say, for instance, south and north together and east and central together. i think you'd have quite a big problem for other teams if you did that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing today that Coach Ralph Nelson interviewed with Science Hill and that this Friday could be his last day at East. He has met with the team and informed them that he was indeed going to Science Hill.I know Central has named a new coach , now I guess we wait and see what East does. Hearing the same rumors that Rusty Harrison could be offered the head job. If not, am hearing that Harrison could end up at South with Sam Haynie. Anybody got any thoughts on all of this? Spring practice is just around the corner.

Any more reports about nelson leaving east. If he doesn't go soon where does it leave the boys for spring ball? Have they started to interview anyone or are they just going to promote from with in? I say the longer they wait the more likely any new players coming are to transfer out and I guess some current players may leave too.

Just confirmed that Nelson accepted the job at Science Hill today. Don't know how long Sullivan County will hold him to his contract, but I believe that when Carter left South, he was released the next day. I am hearing that the Coaching job at East will be opened up. Who knows how long it will be before someone is named. I may be wrong but I believe that the current assistants are running the off season workouts and will run spring practice if necessary, although I don't see any real need for spring practice if a new head coach is not in place. About all you could do is work on fundamentals and conditioning. Hope something is resolved soon for the sake of the kids and assistants at East.

Well,here we go again. Found out the head coaching job at East is supposed to be posted on Monday on the Sullivan Co. school web site. If not on Monday at least this week. Then who knows how long it will take to name the new Coach. Got a feeling the new guy will be brought in from the outside,but who knows for sure. Spring practice at East has been in early May the past few years and probably will be again this year. Sure would like to have the new Coach in place before then, but I don't look for that to happen. If anyone out there hears anything different,please post it,there are a lot of folks wondering what is going to happen. Just to be clear, Ralph Nelson is a Great Coach,a real stand up guy,and a great father and husband. He has been a great role model for the kids at East, both football players and students, and he will be missed. The best football season in school history happened under his watch. Best of luck Ralph,you will be missed.

The football coache's job at Sullivan East has been posted on the Sullivan County School System's website. I guess we just wait to see who will be named the new Head Coach. Am hearing a coach from Georgia has applied and maybe a couple from this area,don't know for sure. It will be interesting to sit back and see what happens and who ends up with the job. Has anyone heard anything different,or any more than what I have?

• 2 weeks later...