Sullivan South Rebels 2010

compusatman

SSReb, when I post I usually say things that most are thinking but will not speak. In this regard I speak from experience. When my daughter informed me in February that she would not be running track I was agast. Not fully recovered from my sons undoing I was hit blindside with her proclamation. Being one of the top 5 400 meter qualifiers in the state as a Frosh she obviously had talent. But to just walk away from her success? She was lazy. She was a wimp. So that makes me a wimp for not teaching her better. She is still in high school and doesn't know what is best for her. Some day she will realize that decision was a mistake. I failed somewhere along the line. As far as my son is concerned, I failed as well. In all the teaching I gave him something did not quite get through. So yes, he was a wimp also. And that falls directly in my lap as well. It is never a coaching issue. That is nothing more than an obsticle that they must learn to overcome. A good coach is a blessing no doubt. But what do you do with a bad coach. You have to play your cards as they are dealt or else fold. What would you teach your child? Would you (have you) tried to choose each teacher each year of your childs schooling. Can you manipulate each and every situation to make a perfect outcome? Is there a bonafide justification when a high calibre' athlete walks away from a situation that is not to his liking? In my opinion...never. Not for my son, my daughter or anyone elses child. The high school child is not yet ready to take on adult decisions. So the responsibility (or the lack of) falls squarely in the parents lap. It's a different story when the child realizes they are not qualified for said undertaking and choose to bow out gracefully. No, I stand behind my view that the parent is responsibile for the child at least during high school. Being a quitter is never purposefully taught by any parent. But being a winner takes much more than being a superstar. Sometimes you have to be last in order to be first.

Another lesson in life.......by compusatman

SSReb, when I post I usually say things that most are thinking but will not speak. In this regard I speak from experience. When my daughter informed me in February that she would not be running track I was agast. Not fully reco... takes much more than being a superstar. Sometimes you have to be last in order to be first.

Good decision making doesn't magically appear on your high school graduation. Some have it early and some never have it. To say the parents, many who have their own inner needs and motivations, always know best is just plain silly. I won't presume to label a child without knowing the motivations behind their decisions. I was just asking if anyone knew the motivations of the two players, who I thought had huge upside potential, in quitting the team and they were attacked. What the H$%#?

High caliber people in their field, whatever that may be, quit things for thousands of reasons. Again, I will NOT presume to label them without knowing the facts.

Guest footballfan100

speaking of this years team...who are the three fastest on the team and who was the fastest one that was said to have quit the team??

speaking of this years team...who are the three fastest on the team and who was the fastest one that was said to have quit the team??

The Anderson kid, a rising Junior, was one of the fastest and he quit. Mitchell Crowe was one of the fastest and he broke a collarbone. Out for the season. Paul is still healthy. Those were the fastest 3. Rebel Camp started today. New coach is the secondary coach.

Good decision making doesn't magically appear on your high school graduation. Some have it early and some never have it. To say the parents, many who have their own inner needs and motivations, always know best is just plain silly. I won't presume to label a child without knowing the motivations behind their decisions. I was just asking if anyone knew the motivations of the two players, who I thought had huge upside potential, in quitting the team and they were attacked. What the H$%#?

High caliber people in their field, whatever that may be, quit things for thousands of reasons. Again, I will NOT presume to label them without knowing the facts.

I didn't attack anyone. All I did was express my disgust with you for implying the team was "imploding" just because 1 or 2 kids decided football was not worth their time and effort. If you have been around high school football long enough, you find that dropouts occur all the time, but most often during spring practice or just before the start of grueling summer work.

You are the one listing his credentials as though we were losing one of our top players. I know who he is. I hate he quit. I don't ever want to see a kid quit and I've seen a few when I played, as I've watched,and even experienced as a parent myself, much to my disappointment. I will disagree with Comp in that parents can only do so much to encourage and discipline their kids. Once they get this age you have to start letting go. They want and need to make some life decisions on their own and they are not always going to please you.

You should ask him why he quit. Realize you may not get the truth no matter how much you trust his answer. What I know is kids say "it was taking up too much of my time" or "I have a job now" or "I wasn't going to get to play much" or "I don't like playing behind someone who is in the class behind me". The real truth is they just don't like football that much. You parents that fuss about playing time are whining about your own selfish desires. Kids who really love the game and are not WEAK-HEARTED toward football enjoy the scrimmage in practice everyday,the occasional "after the game is decided" playing time, or JV duty. They are the real heroes and the ones preparing themselves to face the challenges and hardships of real life. I assure you ,our coaches do a lot in preparing our young men for adult life and molding the character of each. I for one am thankful for each who chooses to stay and play in whatever capacity they can to help the team.

You would be well served to quit looking for someone to blame other than the one making the decision.

Edited by crawdad

I didn't attack anyone. All I did was express my disgust with you for implying the team was "imploding" just because 1 or 2 kids decided football was not worth their time and effort. If you have been around high school football long enough, you find that dropouts occur all the time, but most often during spring practice or just before the start of grueling summer work.

You are the one listing his credentials as though we were losing one of our top players. I know who he is. I hate he quit. I don't ever want to see a kid quit and I've seen a few when I played, as I've watched,and even experienced as a parent myself, much to my disappointment. I will disagree with Comp in that parents can only do so much to encourage and discipline their kids. Once they get this age you have to start letting go. They want and need to make some life decisions on their own and they are not always going to please you.

You should ask him why he quit. Realize you may not get the truth no matter how much you trust his answer. What I know is kids say "it was taking up too much of my time" or "I have a job now" or "I wasn't going to get to play much" or "I don't like playing behind someone who is in the class behind me". The real truth is they just don't like football that much. You parents that fuss about playing time are whining about your own selfish desires. Kids who really love the game and are not WEAK-HEARTED toward football enjoy the scrimmage in practice everyday,the occasional "after the game is decided" playing time, or JV duty. They are the real heroes and the ones preparing themselves to face the challenges and hardships of real life. I assure you ,our coaches do a lot in preparing our young men for adult life and molding the character of each. I for one am thankful for each who chooses to stay and play in whatever capacity they can to help the team.

You would be well served to quit looking for someone to blame other than the one making the decision.

Well said.

I will add that during my time as a parent that there were many top shelf athletes that quit due to playing time, playing behind someone who was getting "preferential treatment", not enough time to party...whatever. I made it a personal vendetta to reel these tremendous athletes back in. I was not always successful but when I did succeed the end result was a moving experience. I give you 3 grand examples: Henry Ringley, Seth Johnson, and my personal favorite, Michael Acero. At their Senior banquet they each communicated that quitting was the worst mistake they ever made. And that coming back was the greatest moments of their high school career. And all three of these young men quit because of lack of playing time. All three were intergral in their seasons successes and were regarded as top shelf Rebel athletes. Their message to the underclassmen? Never give up. Tow the line. The reward will be worth it. There are no guarantees in life. This game teaches our young men this cold hard fact.

Unbelievable. If you had bothered to read the post, I was replying to compuman, who most certainly did attack these young men without knowing any of the facts. I intend to find out why one of them quit this weekend. I did not imply the team was imploding. I asked what was going on. If it is imploding, my son is going down with it. I also never implied one was a "top player". I said he was fast with upside potential. Step away from the keyboard, settle down, learn to read and get the facts before posting, please.

Unbelievable. If you had bothered to read the post, I was replying to compuman, who most certainly did attack these young men without knowing any of the facts. I intend to find out why one of them quit this weekend. I did not imply the team was imploding. I asked what was going on. If it is imploding, my son is going down with it. I also never implied one was a "top player". I said he was fast with upside potential. Step away from the keyboard, settle down, learn to read and get the facts before posting, please.

Really unbelievable. Let me try to mend fences with you SSReb. You asked the question, "Are we imploding?" A reasonable person would logically infer that your question implies reasonable doubt. Does it not? If this is code or a mysterious rhetoric that I don't understand, I apologize. If there is reasonable doubt, and you are worried about your son, re-read my post. I assure you the Rebels ARE NOT IMPLODING. Your son is with the best. You can count on it.

You stated you "had been kicked" in response to my first reply. I am sorry you felt that way. I was merely expressing an opinion as you were. My opinion is this. The team needs encouragement. I feel commentary should be positive without stirring up doubt about leadership or team chemistry on these boards. Your question made me mad because you chose a public forum to express doubt about the state of the program because 1 or 2 players had quit. You are also correct to suggest that you can express dissatisfaction or doubt whenever you chose to do so however harmful this is to our players who read these boards. Team unity and morale are vital to a successful campaign.

As far as the comment on the "top 40 time", I merely replied I was certain there were faster players still on the team. That was based on a season of track under Coach Hilton, where this young man was not one of the top 4 sprinters as evidenced by times and events entered. In other words, no need to get excited, WE ARE NOT IMPLODING.

As to why he quit, that you keep alluding to finding out all about this weekend when you talk to him : I told you. If I wasn't direct enough, once again my apologies. Two quotes are direct,one first hand report and the other a known fact. You can figure it out. When you ask him, he may tell you different than me. And thus we never know what is going on in the mind of another,especially a youngster. If he is your son, I am sorry for the situation. If he is a friend of your son, YOU have nothing to worry about. Speak words of encouragement.

REBEL NATION

Edited by crawdad

Really unbelievable. Let me try to mend fences with you SSReb. You asked the question, "Are we imploding?" A reasonable person would logically infer that your question implies reasonable doubt. Does it not? If this is code or a mysterious rhetoric that I don't understand, I apologize. If there is reasonable doubt, and you are worried about your son, re-read my post. I assure you the Rebels ARE NOT IMPLODING. Your son is with the best. You can count on it.

You stated you "had been kicked" in response to my first reply. I am sorry you felt that way. I was merely expressing an opinion as you were. My opinion is this. The team needs encouragement. I feel commentary should be positive without stirring up doubt about leadership or team chemistry on these boards. Your question made me mad because you chose a public forum to express doubt about the state of the program because 1 or 2 players had quit. You are also correct to suggest that you can express dissatisfaction or doubt whenever you chose to do so however harmful this is to our players who read these boards. Team unity and morale are vital to a successful campaign.

As far as the comment on the "top 40 time", I merely replied I was certain there were faster players still on the team. That was based on a season of track under Coach Hilton, where this young man was not one of the top 4 sprinters as evidenced by times and events entered. In other words, no need to get excited, WE ARE NOT IMPLODING.

As to why he quit, that you keep alluding to finding out all about this weekend when you talk to him : I told you. If I wasn't direct enough, once again my apologies. Two quotes are direct,one first hand report and the other a known fact. You can figure it out. When you ask him, he may tell you different than me. And thus we never know what is going on in the mind of another,especially a youngster. If he is your son, I am sorry for the situation. If he is a friend of your son, YOU have nothing to worry about. Speak words of encouragement.

REBEL NATION

He is not my son, but would be proud if he was. I took offense at the disparaging remarks cast his way, as I would my own son, yours or anyone elses on here. I'm gone till at least the season starts. Go Rebels!

This implosion rethoric is based on one thing. Disrespect for our current coaching staff. There are those of you who feel disaster is eminent with Hunter Jordan calling the shots. And especially with Sam Haynie allowing him to call the shots. I came to love Stacy as well as the rest of you. But before Stacy I was a Hunter Jordan devout follower. His record at CHMS was exemplary. And many think Sam Haynie is weak. I feel closer examination is required. He had a top shelf high school career. Was well accomidated. And played well at ETSU. He is quiet. He is a phylosopher. He is rather passive. But (and most important in my view) he is a thinker. He has the ability to anylize a situation and make a cool headed adjustment that might very well change horses in the middle of a stream but will have the potential of being the difference between a win and a loss. Stacy did not operate that way. Stacy would ride his prize horse into oblivion if honor called for it. Does that mean Sam is not honorable? No it just means he is practical. Hunter Jordan is an offensive mind in my view and a motivational wizard. He may be a bit over the top but Sam will know just how to keep that in check. The problem as I see it is this generation of Rebels have no knowledge of who Hunter Jordan is and what he is capable of. And are losing respect for Sam Haynie for allowing Jordan to lead this team down a path that they are not in agreement with. In the beginning I did not like Stacy nor his offense nor his attitude. So after much deliberation (complaining) I shut up and paid attention. By the time my son was entering Rebel Camp in 2007 I was a staunch follower. I learned something new and Stacy Carter was the teacher. I admonish you dissenters to please try and do as I did. Try and support this staff and watch and learn and hopefully we might just see that we are in a better position than we were in. And in regards to players who have quit...I feel approaching the staff would not be taboo. No, in fact I feel coach Jordan and coach Haynie are very accessible. And I think reinstatment of said players on the team would be a blessing in disguise. I think these parents and their athlete children owe it to themselves and the team to "come clean" and be honest with each other. It is not a perfect world and sometimes it is hard to swallow your pride but I think you will find that once the committment is made to do just that...that only good things follow. If anyone is a Hard A it is me and sometimes the door just won't open until you unlock it.

So I will start by appologizing for any abrasive comment I have made in regard to a player or parent. Please, I admonish you to give it one more shot. You will be the better for it. I wish nothing but success for these young men and their parents. Because I know how special a feeling that is I only wish for others to experience the same.

This implosion rethoric is based on one thing. Disrespect for our current coaching staff. There are those of you who feel disaster is eminent with Hunter Jordan calling the shots. And especially with Sam Haynie allowing him to call the shots. I came to love Stacy as well as the rest of you. But before Stacy I was a Hunter Jordan devout follower. His record at CHMS was exemplary. And many think Sam Haynie is weak. I feel closer examination is required. He had a top shelf high school career. Was well accomidated. And played well at ETSU. He is quiet. He is a phylosopher. He is rather passive. But (and most important in my view) he is a thinker. He has the ability to anylize a situation and make a cool headed adjustment that might very well change horses in the middle of a stream but will have the potential of being the difference between a win and a loss. Stacy did not operate that way. Stacy would ride his prize horse into oblivion if honor called for it. Does that mean Sam is not honorable? No it just means he is practical. Hunter Jordan is an offensive mind in my view and a motivational wizard. He may be a bit over the top but Sam will know just how to keep that in check. The problem as I see it is this generation of Rebels have no knowledge of who Hunter Jordan is and what he is capable of. And are losing respect for Sam Haynie for allowing Jordan to lead this team down a path that they are not in agreement with. In the beginning I did not like Stacy nor his offense nor his attitude. So after much deliberation (complaining) I shut up and paid attention. By the time my son was entering Rebel Camp in 2007 I was a staunch follower. I learned something new and Stacy Carter was the teacher. I admonish you dissenters to please try and do as I did. Try and support this staff and watch and learn and hopefully we might just see that we are in a better position than we were in. And in regards to players who have quit...I feel approaching the staff would not be taboo. No, in fact I feel coach Jordan and coach Haynie are very accessible. And I think reinstatment of said players on the team would be a blessing in disguise. I think these parents and their athlete children owe it to themselves and the team to "come clean" and be honest with each other. It is not a perfect world and sometimes it is hard to swallow your pride but I think you will find that once the committment is made to do just that...that only good things follow. If anyone is a Hard A it is me and sometimes the door just won't open until you unlock it.

So I will start by appologizing for any abrasive comment I have made in regard to a player or parent. Please, I admonish you to give it one more shot. You will be the better for it. I wish nothing but success for these young men and their parents. Because I know how special a feeling that is I only wish for others to experience the same.