Sullivan South Rebels 2010

compusatman

Such negativity at this stage is depressing. My 2 cents worth:

The Rebels have an uphill battle this year...we lost 23 excellent seniors. That means many underclassmen did not see much action last year and will get on the job training this year. Secondly: DB and Boone are loaded. SH always had the athletes. Now they have a coach with some discipline, so they'll be much better as well. TH is TH, always talented and this year is no different.

Certainly questions abound about the success of our new Head Coach and staff and we'll see how good they are, because they didn't inherit the Rebels of 05-09. They inherited a younger, less experienced group of players. Do we have the talent to win some games? Absolutely! Do we have the talent to run the conference? I think I expressed that opinion above and certainly won't feel the coaches failed if we don't beat the above teams this year. If we lose to Central, Volunteer, and Crockett...then we've underachieved. I personally think we can pull a few upsets, but the cards have to be played perfectly. I do believe in our coaches. I trust their knowledge and definitely their integrity as men. I wish them the best.

As for players quitting, I know Coach Hilton tried to talk the last athlete out of quitting. He pretty much begged and you can't beg these kids. They have to want it. Is it hard waiting? Yep! As for another kid that I know quit, mostly it's laziness. And this new generation of parent isn't very helpful to a coach's/schools cause.

• Upvote 1

Is South High School Imploding? Sure. It will be owned by it's arch rival in as little as a year.

Is South football imploding? Don't know yet. I believe my prediction somewhere on here was 4 wins.

Could a South coach ever be wrong? Absolutely. Can it be whispered here? Absolutely Not.

Do some blog to try to keep some small grip of relevancy in their lives? Most.

Speed is good. Our WR's have it. For a WR speed is useless if he can't catch. But our RB's of this decade have not been speed demons. If fact they were rather slow by top shelf standards with the exception of Jake McMillian. Bobby Taylor was probably a 4.7 40 man with Taylor Fletcher a solid 4.6. But both their claims to fame were quickness. Their (both of them) first 10 yards were where they earned their paycheck. And of course their technique. I will take an agile RB over a fast one any day of the week...Walter Peyton comes to mind. So for me a lack of speed at the RB position is irrelevant. But for WR's and especially the secondary speed is needed. Most likely we have more speed at those two positions than we have had this decade. The fastest WR's of late were Seth Watterson last year and Houston Martin of 2007. But the most acomplished WR's were not always the fastest. ie. Kaleb and Jordan Kitzmiller. As well Jordan Cassell is not slow. In fact he probably is the fastest RB we have had this decade in terms of open field speed. And I would say that he is in fact in the competition for the fastest 3 people on the team. If the numbers were posted we would most likely see that we probably have more speed than we have had in years. Speed (or the lack of) is not what will determine the game for the Rebels this year. The determining factor will be execution. And that will be a coaches responsibility. There will be many facets in the Big 8 this year and they range from Finesse to Brute Strength. Defense will be more important this season than it has been in recent memory. And from what I saw our front 4 were some of the best we have had. Anyone with knowledge care to comment on the new secondary and its coach. May be a bit too soon to speak of our new coach but I hope the secondary is his specialty.

• Upvote 1

Too early to tell about the secondary Comp. Two a days this week, then scrimmages the following Tuesday & Friday will help. I think the key with any secondary is can we pressure the QB. Any good QB with time will find an open receiver. On paper though, the secondary should be pretty good. Coach Sturgill seems to be settling in fairly quickly. He and Coach Hilton have been working closely with LBs and DBs during 7 on 7. Not sure he adds anything exceptional though, but that remains to be seen.

Sad to say and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I understand Cody Shipley is one of the athletes who has quit. The consensus is that he wants to concentrate on basketball. That is a tremendous loss for the Rebels as he can play many positions and do it well. If this is the young man that was not getting sufficient playing time then I fully well understand the previous posters discontent. As well, I understand our prayers are needed for his Grandfather who is currently ill. My support to his family and him in a time of need. He is a very respectable young man and his mother and father are examples of dedicated and supportive parents.

Speed is good. Our WR's have it. For a WR speed is useless if he can't catch. But our RB's of this decade have not been speed demons. If fact they were rather slow by top shelf standards with the exception of Jake McMillian. Bobby Taylor was probably a 4.7 40 man with Taylor Fletcher a solid 4.6. But both their claims to fame were quickness. Their (both of them) first 10 yards were where they earned their paycheck. And of course their technique. I will take an agile RB over a fast one any day of the week...Walter Peyton comes to mind. So for me a lack of speed at the RB position is irrelevant. But for WR's and especially the secondary speed is needed. Most likely we have more speed at those two positions than we have had this decade. The fastest WR's of late were Seth Watterson last year and Houston Martin of 2007. But the most acomplished WR's were not always the fastest. ie. Kaleb and Jordan Kitzmiller. As well Jordan Cassell is not slow. In fact he probably is the fastest RB we have had this decade in terms of open field speed. And I would say that he is in fact in the competition for the fastest 3 people on the team. If the numbers were posted we would most likely see that we probably have more speed than we have had in years. Speed (or the lack of) is not what will determine the game for the Rebels this year. The determining factor will be execution. And that will be a coaches responsibility. There will be many facets in the Big 8 this year and they range from Finesse to Brute Strength. Defense will be more important this season than it has been in recent memory. And from what I saw our front 4 were some of the best we have had. Anyone with knowledge care to comment on the new secondary and its coach. May be a bit too soon to speak of our new coach but I hope the secondary is his specialty.

Jordan Cassell would have been in my top 3 Comp. I wasn't going to list names,but looks like the cat's outta the bag. The others would have been Wagner and Steffey. Cassell and Wagner ran the 100m. Brent Hubbard also has good speed as a power RB. He was running the 400m during track season. Both RB's have good speed and varying styles with enough experience to have outstanding Sr.campaigns. I hope we see them both back there some in the T set. With Heath's ability to run/throw, I believe the WRs coming around will give this offense a chance to be one of our more versatile units of the recent run. St. Clair's injury was tough to handle last year, but will begin to pay dividends at QB as this season gets underway.

I know the question was about fast RBs, but at South the QB is a RB. Curt would have been the fastest by far. His JR. year,when Taylor went down, he was basically the only back we had. DB thumped us bad that year because the aerial triad of Ringley, Fickey, and Kitzmiler had not jelled yet. If you recall,we limped through that season with Curt running most of the time and throwing to these three. With a limited attack, we shocked Tn. Hi to end the season running a 3 yards and cloud of dust T with LB Wingfield and OL Dykes in the backfield. That was one of the great high school coaching strategies of recent memory IMO.

Jordan Cassell would have been in my top 3 Comp. I wasn't going to list names,but looks like the cat's outta the bag. The others would have been Wagner and Steffey. Cassell and Wagner ran the 100m. Brent Hubbard also has good speed as a power RB. He was running the 400m during track season. Both RB's have good speed and varying styles with enough experience to have outstanding Sr.campaigns. I hope we see them both back there some in the T set. With Heath's ability to run/throw, I believe the WRs coming around will give this offense a chance to be one of our more versatile units of the recent run. St. Clair's injury was tough to handle last year, but will begin to pay dividends at QB as this season gets underway.

I know the question was about fast RBs, but at South the QB is a RB. Curt would have been the fastest by far. His JR. year,when Taylor went down, he was basically the only back we had. DB thumped us bad that year because the aerial triad of Ringley, Fickey, and Kitzmiler had not jelled yet. If you recall,we limped through that season with Curt running most of the time and throwing to these three. With a limited attack, we shocked Tn. Hi to end the season running a 3 yards and cloud of dust T with LB Wingfield and OL Dykes in the backfield. That was one of the great high school coaching strategies of recent memory IMO.

Yes Curt was fast. I am not familiar with Steffey. But if I remember correctly the Shanks boy is not slow. And yes, that was an example of using the talent where it best fits. JD, if you remember, was a RB at CHMS...along with Jordan and Paul. I learned to love the spread simply because it played to my sons strengths. But an under center running offense is something I miss. I feel that will be in our repetroire this year. I am excited for them already.

I read through the crap about the boys that quit. What the heck is wrong with you people. You ought to be ashamed and should be run out on a rail for trying to give parenting advise. I know Riley worked hard, never missed a practice and never fussed or asked for anything. If you people are representitive, the best thing for south is for DB to come get it now.

I won't give parenting advice because I don't have a dog in that race. I understand that what you stated about Riley is true...hardworking and dependable. So was Cody. What doesn't make sense then is why any of these boys would quit....

I will say that I'm sure it's hard waiting for your turn or opportunity. Riley was probably going to have to wait. Cody may/may not have started, but would've played on both sides of the ball.

Water under the bridge now. Thank goodness there are many players sticking it out that will provide some great football entertainment on Friday nights for the Rebel faithful.

I won't give parenting advice because I don't have a dog in that race. I understand that what you stated about Riley is true...hardworking and dependable. So was Cody. What doesn't make sense then is why any of these boys would quit....

I will say that I'm sure it's hard waiting for your turn or opportunity. Riley was probably going to have to wait. Cody may/may not have started, but would've played on both sides of the ball.

Water under the bridge now. Thank goodness there are many players sticking it out that will provide some great football entertainment on Friday nights for the Rebel faithful.

I don't have a clue about why some of your guys may not be playing,but from experience I can tell you that a kid can just flat out get sick of playing the game of football.It doesn't matter if he is offered a full ride to the next level or is offered the moon to continue in high school.When they are burnt out,it's over and nothing will change their minds.Just my two cents worth guys.It sounds like your going to have another very good team this year.