Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

Give me Crockett. Boone, Central,East, North,South,Cherokee, and Volunteer. It would be a conference of similar sized schools with comparable resources and governing systems,all county schools in multiple school systems. Every sport would be competitive and up for grabs year to year. It would be about fairness and equality. Secession is the order of the day. TSSAA: take a flying jump. Go figure out who you want D-B and Science Hill to play now. It's sad that we have no representation on the board from anyone who lives on this side of Morristown. :thumb:

Give me Crockett. Boone, Central,East, North,South,Cherokee, and Volunteer. It would be a conference of similar sized schools with comparable resources and governing systems,all county schools in multiple school systems. Every sport would be competitive and up for grabs year to year. It would be about fairness and equality. Secession is the order of the day. TSSAA: take a flying jump. Go figure out who you want D-B and Science Hill to play now. It's sad that we have no reresentation on the board from anyone who lives on this side of Morristown. :thumb:

I would love that, but TN High would have to be in the mix too. They are no where near being 6A even if they are a city school. I think those eight teams would make a pretty good conference. I expect to hear some noise from Cherokee this year

Give me Crockett. Boone, Central,East, North,South,Cherokee, and Volunteer. It would be a conference of similar sized schools with comparable resources and governing systems,all county schools in multiple school systems. Every sport would be competitive and up for grabs year to year. It would be about fairness and equality. Secession is the order of the day. TSSAA: take a flying jump. Go figure out who you want D-B and Science Hill to play now. It's sad that we have no reresentation on the board from anyone who lives on this side of Morristown. :thumb:

I would love that, but TN High would have to be in the mix too. They are no where near being 6A even if they are a city school. I think those eight teams would make a pretty good conference. I expect to hear some noise from Cherokee this year

I agree in general but Sullivan North would be doing it's athletic programs a disservice by being in a conference with the above schools. Kingsport has just annexed too much of SN's base for it to be in the same league with the schools above. I'm definitely not putting them down at all (former Raider here!) but you can't argue with numbers. As far as football goes I'd say that SN would at least be a middle of the pack or a little better contender in the conference named above. Norris has done a great job with that program and they've had admirable success as a 3A team playing up at a 5A level in the recent past. SN can definitely be a regional championship contender when they play schools their own size though and I think it is only fair to the kids that they should have that opportunity.

This piqued my interest in area enrollments and I got the following data from www.city-data.com.

All I can say about D-B and the Hill is that they have grown to their current size intentionally. Schools need to be playing other schools with similar enrollments and if there are issues with travel time, travel costs, etc - they've simply gotten what they have asked for...

David Crockett

Total = 1508

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1025

Daniel Boone

Total = 1350

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 917

Tennessee High

Total = 1342

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 873

Cherokee

Total = 1288

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 810

Volunteer

Total = 1223

Sullivan East

Total = 1081

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 763

Sullivan South

Total = 1138

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 743

Sullivan Central

Total = 1109

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 716

Sullivan North

Total = 933 (includes 8th grade)

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 517

Other Local Schools

Elizbethton

Total = 800

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 506

Greeneville

Total = 948

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 602

D-B

Total = 2034

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1317

Science Hill

Total = 2855 (includes 8th grade)

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1447

Intresting numbers RebRaider. But it only goes to show that numbers are just that. The common consencous is that numbers produces dominant athletic programs. I applaud Sullivan South, Greeneville, Elizabethton, and yes Sullivan North for having the ability to dispel common beliefs. If an efficiency rating could be applied to these schools based on success per percentage of census then it would stand to reason that one should expect so much more from the high census schools. As it stands the low census athletically adept schools are chastised for not breaking upper echelon barriers when in fact they are doing quite well with what they have to work with. In addition, if in fact these football programs had the numbers to choose from that their competition have then based on this proposed formula said schools would in fact be even more superior. Kingsport City should take both North and South. But I think they have a vested interest in the South Side. The problem with that is that many will attend Central and drastically change that schools characterisitcs. It's funny how all this goes full circle isn't it. Colonial Heights first proposed incorporation in "72 or "73 I believe. Most people in the Heights scoffed at the notion. Some forward thinking people in the Heights at that time. Most likely passed on now. But I think we all realize that in hindsight incorporation would have been the sparkle that would have made the Heights the Jewel of the Nile. It would have bled over to Daniel Boone as well. It's like we are the Star Ship Enterprise and are being pulled in to the Klingons (Kingsport) by a tractor beam. Oh...so much for lamenting. It's sad because I remember when the Bloomingdale community was nothing short of a football powerhouse. To end my rambling I think that it is safe to say that coaches such as Stacy Carter and Staff and Shawn Whitten and Staff are the kind of people who have the vision, power, and drive to rebuild communities just by being an Icon in their small little world. There are others but these two are textbook examples of what it takes to inspire generations of young men to want better for their hometown instead to let it rust away. Annexation won't fix the problems. Quality young men to grow up and drive the ship is what it takes. And everybody thinks football is just a game.

I agree in general but Sullivan North would be doing it's athletic programs a disservice by being in a conference with the above schools. Kingsport has just annexed too much of SN's base for it to be in the same league with the schools above. I'm definitely not putting them down at all (former Raider here!) but you can't argue with numbers. As far as football goes I'd say that SN would at least be a middle of the pack or a little better contender in the conference named above. Norris has done a great job with that program and they've had admirable success as a 3A team playing up at a 5A level in the recent past. SN can definitely be a regional championship contender when they play schools their own size though and I think it is only fair to the kids that they should have that opportunity.

This piqued my interest in area enrollments and I got the following data from http://www.city-data.com.

All I can say about D-B and the Hill is that they have grown to their current size intentionally. Schools need to be playing other schools with similar enrollments and if there are issues with travel time, travel costs, etc - they've simply gotten what they have asked for...

David Crockett

Total = 1508

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1025

Daniel Boone

Total = 1350

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 917

Tennessee High

Total = 1342

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 873

Cherokee

Total = 1288

Volunteer

Total = 1223

Sullivan East

Total = 1081

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 763

Sullivan South

Total = 1138

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 743

Sullivan Central

Total = 1109

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 716

Sullivan North

Total = 933 (includes 8th grade)

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 517

Other Local Schools

Elizbethton

Total = 800

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 506

Greeneville

Total = 948

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 602

D-B

Total = 2034

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1317

Science Hill

Total = 2855 (includes 8th grade)

Upperclassmen (10-12th Grade) = 1447

The numbers are interesting and all of us agree that they are of relevance in determining a schools competitive level. My argument is this: numbers are not as important as the county/city and single or multiple school system status. Look at your list of numbers. Would North rather compete with Greeneville and Elizabethton on a regular basis or East and Central? That's pretty obvious isn't it? The city schools are more even in size with you but their programs have much better support. A whole town behind one school. A school board polarized and focused on one school, a town of supporting alumni with corporate money, businesses,radio,etc. County schools in multiple settings are competing with each other for that type of support. There is no comparison. Size is important ,but not as important as the politics and money behind the school. TSSAA has figured out that private schools have an advantage.They haven't figured out how to deal with sub-classifying public schools because it is much easier to pretend they're all equal.

i went to the web site i can't see how they add up

D.B> 531=9/461=10/453=11/403=12/=1848

S.H> 605=9/541=10/472=11/434=12/=2052 (605=8/) =2652

DB looks about right, with SH they have their 8th and 9th grade in a building and their 10-12 in a different set of buildings. Take away the eighth graders from the equation and I can see how SH has that many students. Plus I believe that there are a lot more programs that also add into the numbers and SH.

I thought it was interesting to see the numbers and athletic ability. Population isn't everything unless you are a city. Crockett is stuck on the back end of the county where it happens that they may have a lot of kids, but not many are that interested in athletics. Building the community support in the 5th grade levels and up on that side of the county seems like it could be something to turn it around, but you always have the choice to go to Boone it seems.

With Sullivan South, I haven't put my finger on that number of athletes you all have had in the past few years, and I'm talking about some real play makers. I remember going through that South did take some from the Gray area as well, but I didn't hear too many stories of a Sullivan County kid going to a Boone.

I still can't see how TN High's population is that low, Bristol needs to get more people coming in!! But, they are at the right competition level for them.

As for Elizabethton, it looks like Witten did rebuild a lot of the program, but who knows what will happen this year. A lot of the kids graduated so who knows what he has left.

It seems that 3A 4A schools in our area are just right about in their competition, but it seems like some of the 5A schools need to be dropped down to 4A to be more competitive, but there is no way it will happen with the numbers they have.

Crockett looks like the first to possibly go up to 6A in football, and that would be a terrible decision playoff wise, but if they were in the same conference as we are in right now, they could at least win a few games a year. A pure 6A....that would be hard and terrible for the program.

i went to the web site i can't see how they add up

D.B> 531=9/461=10/453=11/403=12/=1848

S.H> 605=9/541=10/472=11/434=12/=2052 (605=8/) =2652

Yep... I hadn't checked their math, just reported the total number from the web site then added up the numbers from the 10th to 12th grades to see how many upperclassmen there were. I actually think the latest total number for D-B is around 1950 or so. Don't have any better numbers for the Hill.

Crawdad, I agree about the resources available to city schools vs county schools in general. What we are talking about on this board is football and as far as that goes the amount of "support" in the community is important but it's not all about money. I think the key is the FOCUS that you speak of. I'm actually a cross-county transplant, my kids are in the South zone feeder schools with one about to move to South next year. To me, the most important thing in crafting a winning program is to build a good foundation. Making development opportunities available to the elementary/middle school aged kids and building an attitude of excitement/anticipation towards "strapping on the big helmet" inspires the kids to work hard and keeps them interested so that they don't drop out when other things start competing for their attention. A good example of this sits accross the state line in Gate City. The kids over there can't wait to play for "Big Blue". The Rebels seem to have a pretty good feeder system. I've been around the Sullivan County league the last couple years. I heard that there was a lot of contriversy (can't spell can I?) at first about this but I think it's great that the Colonial Heights area actually has two teams (Colonial Heights and Fordtown) in the league. While that might dilute the talent a bit I think its great at this level to be able to give kids double the playing time that they would have been getting under the old format. I've got several friends over in Gray involved in the county leage and have heard them discussing about doing something like that in the past because they've had a lot of kids standing on the sidelines but they couldn't get past the fact that it would weaken the team if they split it.

Intresting numbers RebRaider. But it only goes to show that numbers are just that. The common consencous is that numbers produces dominant athletic programs. I applaud Sullivan South, Greeneville, Elizabethton, and yes Sullivan North for having the ability to dispel common beliefs. If an efficiency rating could be applied to these schools based on success per percentage of census then it would stand to reason that one should expect so much more from the high census schools. As it stands the low census athletically adept schools are chastised for not breaking upper echelon barriers when in fact they are doing quite well with what they have to work with. In addition, if in fact these football programs had the numbers to choose from that their competition have then based on this proposed formula said schools would in fact be even more superior. Kingsport City should take both North and South. But I think they have a vested interest in the South Side. The problem with that is that many will attend Central and drastically change that schools characterisitcs. It's funny how all this goes full circle isn't it. Colonial Heights first proposed incorporation in "72 or "73 I believe. Most people in the Heights scoffed at the notion. Some forward thinking people in the Heights at that time. Most likely passed on now. But I think we all realize that in hindsight incorporation would have been the sparkle that would have made the Heights the Jewel of the Nile. It would have bled over to Daniel Boone as well. It's like we are the Star Ship Enterprise and are being pulled in to the Klingons (Kingsport) by a tractor beam. Oh...so much for lamenting. It's sad because I remember when the Bloomingdale community was nothing short of a football powerhouse. To end my rambling I think that it is safe to say that coaches such as Stacy Carter and Staff and Shawn Whitten and Staff are the kind of people who have the vision, power, and drive to rebuild communities just by being an Icon in their small little world. There are others but these two are textbook examples of what it takes to inspire generations of young men to want better for their hometown instead to let it rust away. Annexation won't fix the problems. Quality young men to grow up and drive the ship is what it takes. And everybody thinks football is just a game.

The city can kiss my glutemous. (sp?) Allow a vote or be gone. If they care about providing services to all us disadvantaged county people, they would have "helped" bloomingdale decades ago.