Fifty Best Prep Wrestlers in Tennessee State History

bbb

I do not know how you do it. Yet again you have gone above and beyond the call. Thanks for your time and effort on your research. Thanks again for all you do and all the great articles on The Chattanoogan and look forward to more. :thumb:

thanks for the nice note. had plenty of help and input from across the state.

b.b.b.

Excellent job as usual BB. I don't know how you pulled all of your info but it is impressive. I am sure everybody has their bias towards individuals they grew up with or are in their region; however, your list is thorough and impressive. It reminded me of the old days with some of the names mentioned.

Thanks for all you do for wrestling.

Yeah, seems like you and George Farr had a few good matches, when i was a first grade towell tapper, ;)

Thank you Mr. Branton :thumb:

thanks, but George is a few years my senior !! I wrestled Gary Speegle in '65 and '66, losing both times.

b.b.b.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember Stratford ever being called "North" Stratford though.

That might be a co-op team of Stratford and the old North Nashville High. Kennedy's title was in the next-to-last year of North's existence. (North served what's now called the MetroCenter area in the Pearl-Cohn zone.) TSSAA lists him as Stratford.

Maybe, but I wrestled Tony Kennedy and only knew him as a "Stratford" kid.

now I realize my mistake on Stratford. TSSAA has Tony Kennedy listed as from N. Stratford .. meaning Nashville Stratford. I thot it stood for North Stratford.

b.b.b.

Like so many others have already stated... this is a great post! Moreover, as a John Overton Alum, I would like to shed some light on some of the names already mentioned and perhaps not mentioned.

Here are some names to consider/re-consider:

Casey Brewster= In addition, to what has already been mentioned, let's not forget he is the current Head Coach of Sacred Heart University (at the time of him being named coach some three years ago, he was the youngest head coach in the entire NCAA).

Timothy Drinkwine= 4X state medalist and State Champ (4, 3, 4, 1). Medalist (4th) at US Open in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Wrestled at UT Chattanooga.

Derrick Jordan= 3X medalist (4, 2, 1). All-American, finalist at Tournament of Champions in Reno, NV.

Eric Jordan= 3X medalist, 2X State Champ (4, 1, 1). All-American, finalist at Tournament of Champions in Reno, NV.

Will Hadden= 2X medalist (2, 1). All-American, finalist at Tournament of Champions in Reno, NV.

Chuck Bean= State Champ, wrestled at UT Chattanooga. Has mentored/coached hundreds of Middle TN Wrestlers for the past 15 years who have grown into solid wrestlers: Drinkwine boys, Casey Brewster, Cameron Croy, and many more. He founded and still leads the Copperhead Wrestling Club out of Middle TN. He also just led Grassland Middle School to a Williamson County Tournament this past season in just his second year as a coach.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the clarification Mr. b.b.; and I almost thought you were going to get tossed from the streamcast table for letting the refs have it about (missing) the third/fourth cautions on Cate.

thanks. jason and I were also bantering with Times Free Press writer Ward Gossett on this who was sitting next to us . he kept saying it was only two and we were as you know quite vocal and adament that there were three cautions called and too us, an obvious fourth one missed. that would have been two points for Clements.

after the match Ward said that Clements was causing Cate to jump . all four times? I don't think so.

it was obvious that Cate was trying to time his move (not Clements fault) with the whistle with 23 seconds remaining and it didn't work. that was the third caution called.

b.b.b.

Thanks for the clarification Mr. b.b.; and I almost thought you were going to get tossed from the streamcast table for letting the refs have it about (missing) the third/fourth cautions on Cate.

thanks. jason and I were also bantering with Times Free Press writer Ward Gossett on this who was sitting next to us . he kept saying it was only two and we were as you know quite vocal and adament that there were three cautions called and too us, an obvious fourth one missed. that would have been two points for Clements.

after the match Ward said that Clements was causing Cate to jump . all four times? I don't think so.

it was obvious that Cate was trying to time his move (not Clements fault) with the whistle with 23 seconds remaining and it didn't work. that was the third caution called.

b.b.b.

Hey now--I thought all you media type folks were supposed to be unbiased at the match yesterday. Were bbb, an alleged McCallie grad, and Finnell, a confirmed McCallie grad, taking sides? :popcorneater:

b.b.b.

Hey now--I thought all you media type folks were supposed to be unbiased at the match yesterday. Were bbb, an alleged McCallie grad, and Finnell, a confirmed McCallie grad, taking sides? :popcorneater:

remember - I was not covering the match for chattanoogan.com .. john hunt was .. Jason and I were doing the broadcast for McCallie on the McCallie web site ..not a neutral internet site.

that makes a big difference ..

I graduated in '69 and wrestled for four years under Col. Dave Spencer and some years under Jim Morgan, Paul Tessmann, Fred Wunderlich .. Jason wrestled for Gordon Connell and won 3x titles

thanks, b.b.b.