Lawrence County at Shelbyville - Fight Breaks Out

tigertim2

BBALL, you are exactly right. People were downing our Administration when they can't keep their players from attacking students? It is a shame that they have the audacity to say such a thing. Yes we were rough throughout the game, but that team came to Lawrence County and heard worse. We did not use racist slang or any explecitves prior to them entering our area.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like SCHS might want to reorganize where the opposing student section is seated. It is condusive to fighting when tensions are already high if the opposing student section is at the locker room entrance. Why would you have other fans at your locker room? AND..who wouldn't get excited when you beat a team that is typically on top? Everyone is always gunning for those on top. SCHS should be used to that.

Let me begin this by saying I attended the game without any partiality to either team. But, if we could go back to the heart of the whole matter I think all of us as sports fans would get a better understanding as to how these things happen. The real issue that the TSSAA must look into as a matter of game control is the quality of their officials. That game began to get out of control last night when one young official took over the contest in the second and third quarter. Officials are taught to work as a team and cover for one another but you cannot continuously overrule another official’s call. Two of those guys were veterans officials but if the other official who made the majority of the calls had swallowed that whistle and let the kids play I believe that no matter who would have won the game I don't think you have seen the aftermath we saw last night. That's why officiating is so important it must be decisive but fair, last night it was neither. And because kids are not allowed to compete it builds frustration in everyone, players, coaches and especially fans. I don’t want to lay all that went on at the official’s feet but it was a big contributor. I was at the game as I brought members of my 11-12 year old basketball team to see the game and what they got was not a lesson in competition but a lesson in un-sportsmanship that I hope they never forget. Whether you win or lose always do it with class.

None of this would have happened if the Shelbyville coach would have walked the handshake line like most of the other players and coaches. When the S,ville coach ignored the handshake line and went toward locker room ( shoving a LCHS cheerleader in the process ) a couple of the S.ville players followed the coach vs doing handshakes with the others. Of course all that will happen is the students will be told to hold down the excitement. The coach will be free to keep showing poor leadership to these young men who it seems need proper leadership in the worst way. # 50 for S,ville is the worst tempered sport I have ever wittnessed.

Sounds like SCHS might want to reorganize where the opposing student section is seated. It is condusive to fighting when tensions are already high if the opposing student section is at the locker room entrance. Why would you have other fans at your locker room? AND..who wouldn't get excited when you beat a team that is typically on top? Everyone is always gunning for those on top. SCHS should be used to that.

You are exactly right in that the opposing student section should be nowhere near the home teams path to the dressing room. This is without a doubt a recipe for disaster but as I stated earlier, the blame cannot be laid entirely on the positioning of the fans as it relates to the players path to the dressing room. Someone in a position of authority with Lawrence County should be present and should keep the fans off of the court. I don't think that the home team's administration and the local police should be the ones trying to contain the visiting team's fans as this would also create an "Us versus them" mentality. Just my opinion

Umpire, you are exactly right TSSAA needs to look at the game and at the officiating first but I have been to several games that were called worse than that and this kind of thing did not happen. This would not have happened had the shelbyville coaches showed more class and sportmanship and shook our teams hands but they were too worried about screaming at the ref's. It probably would not have happened had their locker room not been right beside our student section because tensions were high and our kids were very excited and their players were very upset. I think TSSAA needs to look at how the coaches handled the game and the loss and they need to look at how the players took the loss by jumping into our student section and starting to punch our kids.

I wasn't at the game.I have no idea who started What.I'm sure the truth lies somewhere between the different accounts and that there is plenty of blame for both schools.I will offer this observation,Loretto and Summertown allegedly won't play LCHS because of the behavior of the LCHS Student section.There was an incident earlier this season at Wayne Co.with LCHS (once again involving the student section) and now another apparently much more serious incident involving (once again the LCHS student section).There seems to be some sort of lack of institutional control(borrowing a phrase from the NCAA) Regardless of who was at fault last night It's eventually going to penalize the ones who least deserve it,the LCHS players and coaches.It's possible to back your team without coming across in a negative matter and be respectful to your opponents . I'm sure this will be handled by both schools and the TSSAA.

Umpire, you are exactly right TSSAA needs to look at the game and at the officiating first but I have been to several games that were called worse than that and this kind of thing did not happen. This would not have happened had the shelbyville coaches showed more class and sportmanship and shook our teams hands but they were too worried about screaming at the ref's. It probably would not have happened had their locker room not been right beside our student section because tensions were high and our kids were very excited and their players were very upset. I think TSSAA needs to look at how the coaches handled the game and the loss and they need to look at how the players took the loss by jumping into our student section and starting to punch our kids.

I can admit that from the Shelbyville standpoint that some things could have been handled differently.

Can ANYONE from Lawrence County admit that their students were ON THE COURT !!! ???

Can anyone from Lawrence County admit that their student STORMED THE COURT !!! ???

Can anyone from Lawrence County admit that they had NO ADMINISTRATION THERE TO CONTROL THEIR STUDENTS !!! ???

Can you???

As long as I have been at Shelbyville the opponents student section has been there. I can not remember anything happen like this before. But I can see it happen very easy. I thinks as fans and players we need to do better at how we act on the court and off. Is this how our society is teaching our young people how to act. I do agree that Andrews should NOT act how he does. People know this about him(Opponents, coaches, refs). So it does not take much to spark something like this. Rushing the court: I understand why a group would do this. But it can get out of hand very quickly. The SEC does not allow this because of things like this happen. Maybe as a district they put a rule in place to help this not happen. TSSAA will do something about this. What and how much who knows.

On the statement that the girls have won district two years in a row(Shelbyville girls won the season undefeated last year, Lawrence Co won the district tournament last year).

I sit away from both sides fans because neither say nice things about the other. These are kids not pros. They make mistake how they act is a lot like their parents or other around them. Game over win or lost enjoy the game. You can not play it for long. And someday one or the other may need the other

I was not there for the fight but heard things.And I was sadden by it

I wasn't at the game.I have no idea who started What.I'm sure the truth lies somewhere between the different accounts and that there is plenty of blame for both schools.I will offer this observation,Loretto and Summertown allegedly won't play LCHS because of the behavior of the LCHS Student section.There was an incident earlier this season at Wayne Co.with LCHS (once again involving the student section) and now another apparently much more serious incident involving (once again the LCHS student section).There seems to be some sort of lack of institutional control(borrowing a phrase from the NCAA) Regardless of who was at fault last night It's eventually going to penalize the ones who least deserve it,the LCHS players and coaches.It's possible to back your team without coming across in a negative matter and be respectful to your opponents . I'm sure this will be handled by both schools and the TSSAA.

Once again Hawse is trying to change the topic(he does this a lot). This has nothing to do with Summertown or Loretto, but it involves two AAA schools so we would not expect you to understand. Nice that you put your 2 cents in though.