GPS forced to forfeit

gpsbowler

The Division II bowling tournament has been rescheduled to Saturday February 13th. During this time, every girl at GPS is required to participate in a winter activity. The GPS bowling seniors (there are six on the team), along with the Coach Gordon, will all be in Disney World. The tickets are non-refundable and we don't have that kind of money to waste ($400). Our athletic head and bowling coach have worked all weekend to reschedule the tournament date but Bernard Childress will not allow it. That is crazy and completely inconsiderate. We have been working for several years to get to our final state tournament, and we have been robbed of that opportunity. If this had been any other sport, the TSSAA would have found some way to help us. If you have any ideas about what we can do please let us know. We have worked too hard to be ignored.

Unfortunately contacting Matthew Gillespie was pointless. He was willing to work with us but his boss, Bernard Childress, was unwilling to cooperate. We have worked way too hard for Mr. Childress to deny us the chance to compete. For six of us, this is the last time we will ever bowl, and that opportunity has been inconsiderately taken from us.

Well if it was my team I would try one more time and then I would go to the media. I no longer have a child in high school bowling but I find this unacceptable.

The roof collapsed at Smyrna while the tournament was scheduled that is noone's fault and couldn't be foreseen, however with that said no team should be penalized for not being able to meet the rescheduled date due to other school activities. It isn't the schools fault..they were there when they were suppose to be, TSSAA cancelled the tournament not the schools. I'm sure those schools would have went anywhere else that day to bowl. They didn't really care where it was at, they were just thrilled to be there. I happen to know that several other bowling alleys offered their centers to finish the tournament, maybe they weren't convenient or maybe it had to be finished at Smyrna, I don't know but before the date was set you should have made certain it doesn't interfere with other already scheduled events. Shame on TSSAA for depriving this team their chance.

Again my advice would be to try once more then I would contact the local news stations, public opinion can say alot. Also to everyone on this board call TSSAA and voice your outrage...remember this could have been your child or school in this situation and then you would do everything you could to make it right.

• 10 months later...

Many sports have issues with the timing of state tournaments. The Spring Fling often is during graduation time for Seniors. Often the individual seniors chose to play in the games rather than attend graduation. it is the nature of the beast when nearly 400 schools are involved. I regret you have a conflict. You are asking everyone else to change their plans for you. Once that road is traveled there is no time for anything, because everyone would have a conflict.