Why the problem at the DUALS?

PUMMELKING

Chatt78 - Thanks for what you do and its easy to understand your position of there not being enough competitive matches to go around for the officials to all be at the top of their game. Do you have any ideas as to how officials can be coached toward the center on the point of being either more involved or less involved in the matches? A couple of the more experienced officials are prone to over officiate a match. 2 evenly matched quality wrestlers rarely score a ton of points on one another due to the quality of their positioning and defense. In these cases, an overzealous official "creating" rules deviations can affect the match outcome. By "creating" I mean making calls that are not made by the other top officials. Either way, you get what you pay for and everyone surely knows that the money is not the reason officials are out there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I think we are better than a lot of other states, you have to put new faces in the mix to let them get the experience, you might go all year calling tourneys or duals that are not that tough then bam it's the state tournament and there is a ton of close calls, judgement calls. I've called a lot of sports in the past and wrestling is by far the toughest, there not just black and white calls, theres a lot of gray area. It's amazing you could put ten refs/fans together looking at a situation and you could get 10 different opinions on the call. The consistency will come with time, we just don't get enough pressure matches throughout the year, and that hurts. When you call lop sided matches theres not many tough calls in those matches.

I disagree with the statement that we are better than a lot of other states. (and I'm not talking about all of our officials, but the group as a whole.)

When we travel, we see very little of the this problem in the areas where the officials are becoming overly involved in matches. I know I've seen some cases everywhere, but as a general statement, in TN it's a problem.

Basic rule that should be followed. Let the kids wrestle. Call the rules as stated in the book, and make the judgement calls when they are obvious. If this were followed, the better wrestles will almost always prevail.

Chatt78 - Thanks for what you do and its easy to understand your position of there not being enough competitive matches to go around for the officials to all be at the top of their game. Do you have any ideas as to how officials can be coached toward the center on the point of being either more involved or less involved in the matches? A couple of the more experienced officials are prone to over officiate a match. 2 evenly matched quality wrestlers rarely score a ton of points on one another due to the quality of their positioning and defense. In these cases, an overzealous official "creating" rules deviations can affect the match outcome. By "creating" I mean making calls that are not made by the other top officials. Either way, you get what you pay for and everyone surely knows that the money is not the reason officials are out there.

In Chatt we have meetings every year before the season thats covers everything, I personally don't think we (chatt)get involved in matches, Are veteran guys are really good, and the younger guys will be there soon, but we teach positioning and techniques in the classes. You're definetly right were in it for the love of the sport, a chance to give back to the sport that I love

Hahaha I bet their last names start with C and end with dale :thumb:

Dude, I don't know who you are or what hole you crawled out of, but the world would be a better place if you crawled back in it. This is a wrestling board to talk about wrestling not your personal problem with me, my son or my brother.

Oh Stanley,I dont have a personal problem with yal! You and your son are just perfect examples of a sub-par official with an over inflated ego lol.

Lets make a deal Clouseau..."I'll crawl back in my hole" when ever you take off the stripes. Because the wrestling world would be a much better place without you.

P.S. Is there not some sort of hidden clause saying that you cant be a ref if you get beat by girls? hahaha :lol:

I can think of one reason for our reffing problems:

To get signed on as a ref you have to navigate the TSSAA website which provides no human contact or direction for those of us who are less savvy with computers. I suppose the website generally works wonderfully for booking matches but there's no one there to guide you through it other than by email. Hold some referee seminars or something, any kind of face to face interaction to train referees, then things may improve.

I can think of one reason for our reffing problems:

To get signed on as a ref you have to navigate the TSSAA website which provides no human contact or direction for those of us who are less savvy with computers. I suppose the website generally works wonderfully for booking matches but there's no one there to guide you through it other than by email. Hold some referee seminars or something, any kind of face to face interaction to train referees, then things may improve.

Not to bash on the TSSAA, they do a fantastic job, but with the world so computer-oriented not everything is better

If you have a D-2 perspective, this issue rarely comes up in the early rounds where the skill level is mismatched and the officials really do not matter. As your boy gets into the finals of D-2 he should be in good care with the officials the TSSAA selects there. Of course, this would also apply more at the 3rd and 4th place levels and below of D-1 than D-2. I know, I saw the importance of consistency and not being overly creative first hand in the D-1 consolation finals as well. Too many matches going on to have the elite everywhere at one time. We're grateful for all those who puts on the stri :thumb: pes

You want bad officiating? Try this call out. State championship match. Two GREAT wrestlers, 30 seconds to go in the match 1-0 score, no stalling all out war. Whistle blows. Referee gives the kid that was down a point. Why? The other kid's singlet slide up his leg and exposed a bit of his undershorts! That kid lost in OT....he was a senior. Thanks ref, nice call. BTW that was the only such call of that nature all year anyone could remember. Following the letter of the rules or just wanting to be the focus of attention?

You want bad officiating? Try this call out. State championship match. Two GREAT wrestlers, 30 seconds to go in the match 1-0 score, no stalling all out war. Whistle blows. Referee gives the kid that was down a point. Why? The other kid's singlet slide up his leg and exposed a bit of his undershorts! That kid lost in OT....he was a senior. Thanks ref, nice call. BTW that was the only such call of that nature all year anyone could remember. Following the letter of the rules or just wanting to be the focus of attention?

You know that could be easily taken care of...WEAR A JOCK. All wrestlers used to, so if ya did there would never be any chance of getting called. just my opinoin.

Going off topic ...

When did that episode happen? There was rule support and point of emphasis on that very subject 4-5 years ago. After trying it out for a year or so NFHSA decided to ax that rule. I saw with my own two eyes a coach rip a pair of boxers off of a wrestler in the bathroom because they extended past his singlet, then when the wrester went out the other coach was making a hissy fit about not having any thing on under the singlet. The NFHSA nixed the rule recently about having to wear anything under the singlet. NFHSA did the same thing with shoelaces being unsecured, it was a unsportsmanlike against the coach, which has now changed to not include the coach in the penalty.