East Magnet????

coachtut

BigAl we may have our differences but I am gonna agree with you on this one a little bit. Metro schools are known for recycling coaches in the system. And I dont understand many of reasons why but what I do know that its not always the coach's choice on certain decisions made week in and week out. The board and administration can make it tough on any coach in Metro to do what he needs to do and be successsful. Many Metro teams do not have the support from boosters, communitys, or even parents to deal with situations like money, buses, pre game meal or even concession stands. There are some out there but it takes more than a handful of parents and boosters to have a successful program. The "SCHOOL SPIRIT" is slacking in Metro which makes it very hard and many coaches spend countless hours and a lot of their own money just to have a decent program. We always had fans in our stands when I played in High School but now I have been to games where the other side or even our side of the stands had 50 people at the most watching and cheering at a game. I think open enrollment has a little to do with that since many students dont drive these days and the only way they get anywhere is by bus which doesnt run on firday nights and live far away from the school they attend.

Thats just a few problems in Metro so when you talk about other Coaches from outside the system coming in and trying to be successful in its first few years "YES" it happens but how long do they stay in the system. "NOT LONG!" So those coaches who have commited to Metro schools my hat is off to them whether HEAD or ASSISTANT and deserve a little more credit than what is given on a dumb forum. A wise person once told me when I was getting into this you can spell metro the same sideways as you can up and down. "5 DOWN 5 ACROSS!

M E T R O :hungry:

E

T

R

O

Ok I will get off my soapbox I was at East Lit last night watching Basketball and heard some rumors, this is what I know. People who have applied so I hear. LAW (Whites Creek), Ralph Thompson (Maplewood), An assistant from Hillwood not sure of the name and also a guy from Sycamore.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ring around the logs, as in a previous post, Thompson to book school and Law to Maplewood.

Ah grasshopper, you learn well, keep agreeing and it may keep you of the banjo pickers.

DC at Hillwood, Sycamore coach are correct. To answer another post, Phillips came to metro from willamson co. Log layers gearing up for spring canoe trip, and trying to get B.R. to be a guest paddler.

LILAL just stick with Sumner Co. Ya'll have enough going on there and all you ever do here is talk negatively about Metro. Sure metro has its problems but so does everyone else. I still say since all you do is run your mouth about metro that you must be a former metro teacher that couldnt hack it or you must have tried getting into metro but were denied. You probably went to Sumner Co and are teaching somewhere like Beech.

Mindless the 5down 5across analogy has to do with finding metro in a crossword.

Ring around the logs, as in a previous post, Thompson to book school and Law to Maplewood.

Ah grasshopper, you learn well, keep agreeing and it may keep you of the banjo pickers.

DC at Hillwood, Sycamore coach are correct. To answer another post, Phillips came to metro from willamson co. Log layers gearing up for spring canoe trip, and trying to get B.R. to be a guest paddler.

In your opinion ,which seems to be on target, why is Metro in the state it is in. There appears to be plenty of athletic talent so it must be the employees in Metro.I know the coaches in Williamson County do not have the athletes that Metro has,but always seem to be come out on top.Do you have a history in Metro schools or is this just a very informative and wise observation.I have only lived in Tennessee and Williamson County a few years and enjoy the truth. I do not see these problems anywhere other than Metro.I also see why there are not many head coaches outside of Metro applying for these jobs. Thanks for your insightful posts,even though I don't quite understand your bitterness to Metro.

5 Down 5 across is the steps it takes to get something accomplished in Metro. Before anything is accomplished it has to go through 5 or more people before anything is even though of being accomplished.

Example: Lets say I want to buy fertilizer for the practice field. Before I can get money to buy I have to go throught the Ad, then the ad to the principal, the principal to the head secretary who does the money, who writes the check, back to the principal to sign the check, then back to the ad who will tell me that I am spending too much on fertilizer for a practice field. It makes more sense for me just to go buy the fertilizer and bring the receipt and let the secretary right me a check. But thats not how its done in Metro.

Thats just an example, there are far worst situation

Spending whatever you want without regard to budget will get you fired outside of Metro just as well as in Metro. Ex: Wilson Central

Unfortunately, there are coaches out there who think theirs is the only program in the school. All have to be funded. Title 9 could close anyone down. Until you have actually been an AD, you could not possibly understand. If there are situations out there where the AD and Football coach butt heads it is probably because both want to be in charge. The difference is one is in charge of A team. The other is in charge of ALL teams.

Lucky for me I have had a great relationship with our coach. Will I with the next one? Who knows.

Absolutely. However, some like sour grapes lilal don't understand just how much difference the school atmosphere plays a part in the success or failure of a program. Sure there are good and bad coaches everywhere. They get hired and fired in Sumner County too. Lilal, why don't you get on up to Portland and show us all here in Metro how to resurrect a once powerful program? Surely you wouldn't get turned down with all your experience, right?

I have heard that 32 people applied for the East Literature coaching vacancy. I have details about some impressive names on that list as well. There are some guys who have been in Metro/Nashville and had a lot of success at other places who have applied. There are also some guys who have coached and had success at schools in the middle-TN area that have also applied. This is going to be a hire that opens some eyes when all is said and done in my opinion.