The official Complaining Thread

wristbar

All in all, the only real problem I noticed about the reffing in Region 6 was the number of caution calls. Not actually a reffing problem I guess as they just enforce the rules, but the here's the way I think it should be in the rulebook:

When a wrestler starts up not in the proper position, ref warns him and allows a moment for him to adjust, then starts the period, no signaling a caution to the scoreboard or anything like that. Too many matches interrupted by the caution calls really breaking the continuity and doesn't really help anyone, only adds stress to every party involved. And penalizing a wrestler one point for three incorrect starting positions doesn't seem fair as they haven't made any violations during the match but rather between the periods. Wouldn't wrestling be better off without another Bond Davis-Luke Sanders situation? Especially when you get to the important matches, consider that everyone's going to be more jumpy and too much is on the line to be decided by something like forgetting for the referee to say "bottom man set?" before covering him. That and the fact that it's hard to hear the whistle blow while wearing headgear especially when whistles are blowing all over the place.

I say this can be enforced without breaking up the match and penalizing the wrestler. If it becomes a problem then its the ref's discretion to decide if it's detracting from the match enough to warrant a point.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how come every Region 8 Champion without a previous medal gets the number one seed in the Quarter Finals? Could the regions not rotate through for that position or something (i.e. Region 1 is there at 103 and 140, Region 2 is there at 112 and 145, etc). If they are seeded then they wouldn't have to be placed there, but otherwise every region could have an equal share of eighth seed instead of one region getting it every time.

I want to help explain this to you but first what are you trying to say...talking in your own region or at states.Your own region had a seed meeting and determined the top 4-5 seeds per weight then the rest is a blind draw...usually.The state seeds are determined by region champs that are returning state place winners.they get seeded if there is a returning medalist but he does not win his region then he is thrown in to the mix without being seeded.1st and 2nd place from same regions get seperated but no guarntee that 2-3rd or 4th want be on the same side.

Maybe this helps and well maybe it dont. I do know that its a blind draw other than that and dont think that anyone is picking on the (formerly Region 10) now region 8 .

I ref sometimes too so dont be angry at me bout that LOL

All in all, the only real problem I noticed about the reffing in Region 6 was the number of caution calls. Not actually a reffing problem I guess as they just enforce the rules, but the here's the way I think it should be in the rulebook:

When a wrestler starts up not in the proper position, ref warns him and allows a moment for him to adjust, then starts the period, no signaling a caution to the scoreboard or anything like that. Too many matches interrupted by the caution calls really breaking the continuity and doesn't really help anyone, only adds stress to every party involved. And penalizing a wrestler one point for three incorrect starting positions doesn't seem fair as they haven't made any violations during the match but rather between the periods. Wouldn't wrestling be better off without another Bond Davis-Luke Sanders situation? Especially when you get to the important matches, consider that everyone's going to be more jumpy and too much is on the line to be decided by something like forgetting for the referee to say "bottom man set?" before covering him. That and the fact that it's hard to hear the whistle blow while wearing headgear especially when whistles are blowing all over the place.

I say this can be enforced without breaking up the match and penalizing the wrestler. If it becomes a problem then its the ref's discretion to decide if it's detracting from the match enough to warrant a point.

I have always been in favor of giving points for fewer cautions instead of three. Lining up and getting into the referee's position is the easiest thing required on a wrestling mat. If the wrestler can not accomplish that, his opponet deserves the points he gets.

geterdone-

I think what the region 8 wrestler was trying to say was that in the State brackets all of the region 8 winners that didn't place at state last year are placed at a section in the bracket where they will wrestle the overall number one seed in the quarterfinals. So at 103, 119, 130, 140, 145, 152, 160, 189, 215 and HWY all of those region winners were placed in the same spot on the bracket. It wouldn't be so bad if that spot randomly happened to be against previous medalists at the 4th place spot which typically wouldn't even be a returning medalist , but when 10 of our champs have to face the overall number one seed in the quarterfinals it really kills our chances as a region. I don't think this is a conspiracy against a certain region- I just think that somebody didn't do the work to properly draw up the brackets. This really should be changed.

geterdone-

I think what the region 8 wrestler was trying to say was that in the State brackets all of the region 8 winners that didn't place at state last year are placed at a section in the bracket where they will wrestle the overall number one seed in the quarterfinals. So at 103, 119, 130, 140, 145, 152, 160, 189, 215 and HWY all of those region winners were placed in the same spot on the bracket. It wouldn't be so bad if that spot randomly happened to be against previous medalists at the 4th place spot which typically wouldn't even be a returning medalist , but when 10 of our champs have to face the overall number one seed in the quarterfinals it really kills our chances as a region. I don't think this is a conspiracy against a certain region- I just think that somebody didn't do the work to properly draw up the brackets. This really should be changed.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was trying to get at.

1st and 2nd place from same regions get seperated but no guarntee that 2-3rd or 4th want be on the same side.

Personal opinion, the blind draw portion should be drawn in public, but it actually is guaranteed that wrestlers from the same region can't be in the same quarter of the draw (if a region wins out, its wrestlers will meet as 1v3 and 2v4 in the semis).

Have to throw this out there too:

Bradley Central step on the same mat as a Division II team. For such a strong team, it's frustrating to know that they will NEVER face Baylor, Ryan, Callie, or any other private school. A little unfair to the Bear wrestlers as well. Cleveland and Soddy have been your only rivals for like fifteen years, why not raise the stakes?

Change State tournament to double elimination

Combine Division I and II in the individual tourney for a TRUE State Championship

If your going to allow cheerleaders to enter the state tournament free of charge, allow the wrestlers (on roster- non-state qualifiers) in free of charge as well.

All they have to do is put on skirts and shake their pom poms...lol Better yet hire some of them out as Asst. Coaches for other teams. Or maybe keep on staff in case of being tossed.

Good luck getting anyting to happen per TSSAA.