Knoxville Area Officials

easttnbball11

It is just you. Also, it might have something to do with the Knox area girls teams are some of the worst ever as a whole. I am sure there are a few teams that can play but those are few and far between. Girls basketball is awful.

Sounds like an official talking. That whole attitude of "Girls basketball is awful" is what the officials are showing on the court, they totally act like they could care less. How about you tell that to some of the girls who give all they have on a nightly basis that they are awful.

I am associated with Lenoir City and we held the District tournament. Our head girls coach was livid that the officials association only sent one crew for 2 girls games, while they sent a separate crew for each individual boys game. That sends a great message.

Wrong again oh wonderous one. Not an official talking. I have been watching girls basketball in TN for 25 years and the skill level of play has continued to go down over that period of time. Just because someone gives their all does not mean they can play. I am not talking about effort. Skill level is what I am talking about. The fundamentals are lacking if they even exist. All some teams want to do is come across the time line and shoot the three. No team play or defense in some of these games. Actually defense is probably not needed as most teams can't handle the ball anyway. Most officials will tell you that it is much easier to work a girls games than a boys games. Kind of like the rec or church leagues. Just get the walking calls and flagrant fouls and there are plenty of those.

The Knoxville crew that worked the double header at Upperman on Friday night worked like pros. They were on the court 10 mins. before tip-off, counting players, checking the books, doing the admin. meeting,talking to the coaches and meeting the captains.

They called a consistant game, rotated well, both games.

The only glitch was when the Seq. Co. boys coach called timeout, when he had none left.

Why do you think girls play has decreased so much in the past couple decades? I don't know what to think about that. Do you believe it is talent or coaching? I know this... today's coaches can not be like they were a decade ago much less before that because of the complaints about being so tough and intense on players. I wonder if some good coaches do not get into the profession due to the political aspect of parents having so much more power and in some school districts the principal not making decisions at the end of the season but central office administrations. I know of a couple coaches that don't coach now because of these reasons and they are good coaches.

Also Knox area officials are not good but its not a job that has much oversight and referees have very little accountability because so few people want to do it in this area. But seriously athens association officials make knox area officials look like SEC or Big East officials. They are much worse down there.

I think that it is a combination of things that has caused the decline of girls basketball in the area. Tallent and coaching certainly have something to do with it. I have watched many players that have an over abundance of tallent and zero in the area of fundamentals. The tallent carried them the through the younger years and they were never taught the fundamentals. When they get to high school and maybe play against someone that has less tallent and better fundamentals then they become frustrated and the parents cannot understand why they are not the dominant player or why they are not winning. Of course, to the uninformed parent, it is always the coaches fault. Yes, many good coaches leave because of parents and unruly kids. Why would you choose to put up with all that crap when you don't have to. There are not many youth programs where a young girl can be taught the fundamentals of the game mainly because most of the teams are "coached" by a parent that has no clue about teaching fundamentals and good sportmanship. Yes, sportsmanship is part of the game. A perfect example is the way some of the athletes act out when they lose or are disqualified for some reason. Also, some of these pro athletes have the sense of entitlement and all of that filters down to the young kids at a very early age. The chest pumping, the jersey flipping, etc. I could go on but I will stop. Just one persons opinion and I am sure there are many out there that will not agree and that is okay by me. We as a society have been headed in this direction for years and it is not going to stop until we change our philosophy about raising our kids. I don't see it happening anytime soon. The parents of today are the kids of yesterday where all this started and as far as they are concerned nothing is wrong.