Hickman/Camden ..... One second added at end of game

dawgballfan

Referees are human. Eventually even the very best will miss a call every now and then. Sometimes the call in error is a fairly small one and does not affect the outcome of the game. I am afraid to say though, this was not the case with the Hickman County/Camden girls 2nd round region matchup on Monday night at East Hickman. Both teams were tied at 62 toward the end of the game with Camden having possession of the ball on their end of the court. The ball was tied up by a Hickman player with .5 seconds showing on the clock with the possession arrow going to Camden. For whatever reason, one of the referees rushed over to the scorers table and had an additional full second put back on the clock. As most basketball fans know, the difference between half a second and a second and a half is daylight and dark. At most, if .5 had been left on the clock Camden would have had no more than a tip at the basket. As it was, 1.5 seconds gave Camden just enough time to get the ball in bounds under the basket, which to their credit they did, and win as the buzzer sounded ..... which they did. I hope I don't come across as a bitter fan because I am not. Camden played a fantastic game and has a really good team. But, the same could be said about the Hickman County team. The Lady Dawgs, I believe, were down in the first half by as much as eleven or twelve points. They clawed their way back in the second half to take the lead a time or two. My point is this ..... if the referee had a instant replay monitor to look at and then determine that time should be put back on the clock, that's one thing. But of course he/she did not have that luxury. The referee made a judgment call, and according to the film, was not even looking at the clock to begin with. In a game that close with that much at stake, the time on the clock should have remained at .5 seconds. If Camden would have been able to get the ball in and score in time, then so be it. If not, then let the game be decided in OT. Both teams fought way too hard for 31 minutes & 59.5 seconds for the game to end that way. Allow the players to decide the outcome of whose season ends ..... not the referees. I know what some will say .... "If that call had gone in Hickman's favor, you would not be posting this at all." My answer is ..... "You are exactly right. I would have run out of the gym celebrating exactly the way Camden did, as they should." But, since it did not go in Hickman's favor, I shall use this as a way to vent :?

The ref knew he let the tie-up go too long without a whistle...hence the second put back on the clock. Probably should have been more than 1 second put back on the clock if the truth be told. Camden made a good in bounds and Brandenburg made the shot. The Lady Lions did what they had to when the game was on the line and Hickman didn't...end of story.

Well if you want to get into the fouls that were or weren't called, this discussion could go on forever. The point of this discussion is why the ref who was looking at the play on the floor at the time could have made the decision to add the second back on the clock. This same ref was the one who made the judgement call with the last second shot to end the half. i am not taking away anything from the Camden girls. They played a good game and have really good players but the ref did not consult with the other officals or give the coach a chance to ask why the time was being placed back on the clock. It was funny how they ran off the floor before our coach could ask them about it after the game.

Well if you want to get into the fouls that were or weren't called, this discussion could go on forever. The point of this discussion is why the ref who was looking at the play on the floor at the time could have made the decision to add the second back on the clock. This same ref was the one who made the judgement call with the last second shot to end the half. i am not taking away anything from the Camden girls. They played a good game and have really good players but the ref did not consult with the other officals or give the coach a chance to ask why the time was being placed back on the clock. It was funny how they ran off the floor before our coach could ask them about it after the game.
TALK TO THE REF DEARING THE TIMEOUT NOT AFTER THE GAMES OVER .YOUR COACH COULD HAVE CALL TIMEOUT AND TALK TO REF.WHY DID HE NOT CALL A TIMEOUT AND TALK TO REF.

Referees are human. Eventually even the very best will miss a call every now and then. Sometimes the call in error is a fairly small one and does not affect the outcome of the game. I am afraid to say though, this was not the case with the Hickman County/Camden girls 2nd round region matchup on Monday night at East Hickman. Both teams were tied at 62 toward the end of the game with Camden having possession of the ball on their end of the court. The ball was tied up by a Hickman player with .5 seconds showing on the clock with the possession arrow going to Camden. For whatever reason, one of the referees rushed over to the scorers table and had an additional full second put back on the clock. As most basketball fans know, the difference between half a second and a second and a half is daylight and dark. At most, if .5 had been left on the clock Camden would have had no more than a tip at the basket. As it was, 1.5 seconds gave Camden just enough time to get the ball in bounds under the basket, which to their credit they did, and win as the buzzer sounded ..... which they did. I hope I don't come across as a bitter fan because I am not. Camden played a fantastic game and has a really good team. But, the same could be said about the Hickman County team. The Lady Dawgs, I believe, were down in the first half by as much as eleven or twelve points. They clawed their way back in the second half to take the lead a time or two. My point is this ..... if the referee had a instant replay monitor to look at and then determine that time should be put back on the clock, that's one thing. But of course he/she did not have that luxury. The referee made a judgment call, and according to the film, was not even looking at the clock to begin with. In a game that close with that much at stake, the time on the clock should have remained at .5 seconds. If Camden would have been able to get the ball in and score in time, then so be it. If not, then let the game be decided in OT. Both teams fought way too hard for 31 minutes & 59.5 seconds for the game to end that way. Allow the players to decide the outcome of whose season ends ..... not the referees. I know what some will say .... "If that call had gone in Hickman's favor, you would not be posting this at all." My answer is ..... "You are exactly right. I would have run out of the gym celebrating exactly the way Camden did, as they should." But, since it did not go in Hickman's favor, I shall use this as a way to vent :?

A nice, calm, admittedly biased and thorough opinion.

TALK TO THE REF DEARING THE TIMEOUT NOT AFTER THE GAMES OVER .YOUR COACH COULD HAVE CALL TIMEOUT AND TALK TO REF.WHY DID HE NOT CALL A TIMEOUT AND TALK TO REF.

Interesting stuff. "TALK TO REF DEARING THE TIMEOUT ....." Good to see that the button works on your keyboard. Too bad your keyboard does not have a button on it as well. Do you honestly think that if Hickman's coach would have talked to the ref dearing, oh, I mean DURING, the timeout, even if one had been called, that he/she would have changed the call? Have you gone back to look at the tape? Do you want us to believe that you were looking at the clock instead of the play at the time? If so, then you did more than all 3 referees because the tape clearly shows that not one of them checked the clock at the time. If you think that neither charge should have been called, which apparently you don't know what one is, then you must also not know what a TRAVELING call is. Some people like to call it WALKING, which is exactly what the Camden player did before any of this even happened. To be exact, she took 3 steps backwards, which if I understand the rule correctly, is a traveling violation. Find a video of the game and you will see that I am correct. None of this would have ever happened if the ref had made the appropriate traveling call in the first place. Camden may have still won had the game gone in overtime, because as both Hickman posts say above, Camden has a fine team. But, I don't guess we will ever know.

Our coach did not have time to call a time out. As soon as a jump ball was called the female ref came over to the score table and told them to add the second back on the clock and the ball was handed to Camden so he did not have time. I hope for Camden and Lewis to have better refs for tonigh's game.