Radio Announcer displays poor sportsmanship!!

vic

Guest caligula
Posted by CrnchyBlakLives:

KIDS KIDS KIDS KIDS KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone on this board seems to like saying it so much i thought id give it a try. frankly i dont like it. let these dudes grow up and gain some maturity and stop calling them kids. dont try to argue, im right. shout out to kd in n'ville, keep it real maine!

LOL, when you are under 18 you are a kid! But it would be nicer to be refered to as a young man, but if his parent wants to say kid then just keepin' on rappin like someone is standing on your toungue...Countryblac. :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all the posts on this thread, not one person has indicated that they have first hand knowledge about the subject.

Perhaps the most insightful post in the thread is by Indian... "I would bet those who were at the game know what prompted the comments by the announcer. For some reason they'd rather just focus on his comments instead of telling everyone what happened. I was not there, obviously, so I can't say for sure until someone with some credibility explains things on here. But maybe someone is afraid we would agree with the announcer?"

One thing that is occurring in sports these days is the classless lack of sportsmanship. It all started with the professional athletes and their "look at me" attitudes. Unfortunately, the professional athletes' behavior has filtered down to every level of sports. The taunting, pointing, and dancing after a play is over has no place in sports.

Call me old-fashioned, but I truly admire the athlete who makes the outstanding play and goes on as if nothing happened. The athlete does his job on the playing field without any tribal dances or any choreographed displays to draw attention away from the team aspect of the sport.

I would really like to know what happened and what the announcer actually said.

Bottom line... I agree with Indian's post, "...maybe someone is afraid we would agree with the announcer."

O.K.

I promise that this is going to be my last post to this thread. I feel like Vic started it to get his point across and his frustrations out and it has turned into more than he expected. Everyone that is posting to this thread, for the most part, seems to be very reasonable and understanding. I know that there is always two sides to a story but I just want to pose each of you this question. You have all been active on Coach-T for some time now and have read hundreds and maybe thousands of posts about football. Of those posts, have you ever came across anything that even eluded to the "class-less-ness" of Jacob and Jonathon? (the two players in question who also just happen to be the stars of the Collinwood team who will PROBABLY both sign D-I scholarships) This is a team that has been in the "thick" of things for 3 years now and to my knowledge I have never once seen a post that negatively portrayed even these fans much less these players. In fact, everything that I HAVE read on here about Collinwood has mentioned class. Let me say that was until this recent game with Forrest. Then the players are shouting profanities and the guys are classless. Listen, I am not naive enough to believe that our guys are perfect. I know that young men will be young men but it is only right for "us" to be offensive when an accusation like this comes along seeing as how it is not normal behavior for these guys. Sure, maybe they got caught-up in the emotion of the moment and reacted in a way that was "class-less" for them but I truly find it hard to belive and I find it even harder to imagine that a grown "on-air personality" would portray this to the people at home. Thanks everyone for a greater insight into this. I know the announcer has a side too but I just didn't feel like everyone was seeing it from all of our angles as well. Best wishes to all of you on the rest of your seasons and hey, you radio-men.....keep things in check. ;)

T

[Edited by thelma on 9-25-02 1:35P]

Thelma,

Congratulations on the success of your team.

Kudos to Jacob and Jonathon for their athletic ability and the possibility of their moving on to Division I. I don't know Jacob or Jonathon nor have I ever heard of them.

You mentioned someone was shouting profanities. Is this what the announcer labeled as "classless"?

If this is the scenario and even if this is totally out of character for your players, why is it wrong for the announcer to voice his opinion? Is it politically incorrect to point out bad behavior?

Kids are kids everyone that plays football is gonna let out a fould word or have late hit but for the most part they are good kids.

Im sure they did something to draw attentions to themselves i wasnt there but i agree with most of the people on here that THEY HAD TO DO SOMETHING.

Doesnt matter that was probably the only thing they could point out that you guys did wrong that night and wanted to try to make his listeners maybe feel well at least e beat them in something, even though they were probably doin the same thing.

I saw you guys drop this threa because it has become ridiculous, and you guys have bigger fishes to fry than some homer announcer.

OK, now that I've finished reading the 5 pages of posts, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents worth.

First of all, in my opinion, the Collinwood players didn't act classless, just cocky. But then they're good, sometimes good players will act cocky. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. But then, the cockiness didn't show until that last touchdown. (Ward did a little taunting)Think they might have been a bit worried till then.

Second, Vic, your son WAS holding, on several occasions, even pushed our #80 about 30 yards off the line of scrimmage (knocking him out of his pattern) on pass coverage, but he got away with it. It happens on both sides, you just hope your side doesn't get caught. And Vic, Jacob is a very talented young man. We wish him well.

Third, I don't know what was said by our radio announcer. I was in the press box, but they are in the opposite end and had the door closed. None of the these guys are paid for what they do, they volunteer their time. They do, however, get a little emotional sometimes. That is no excuse, but it happens. Especially when your team is 0-4, and you've just given the top team in the region a run for their money.As for our coach calling to apologise, he is a class act. He would never say anything bad to a player. And for the record, all our coaches said Ward and Victory are great kids to talk to off the field. They are both very talented, and should go far. Good luck to them both and to the Trojans for the remainder of the season. Hope to watch you kick butt in Murfreeesboro in December. And it was very classy to "take a knee" at the end when you guys knew you had it in the bag.

Two final points -

1. vic has a right to defend his son. The game was over. The announcer should not have made the comments he made. What good does that do?

2. If the boys did something out of line, I am sure between their coach, their principal and their dads they have been shown the error of their ways. I will bet my lfe on it. And that is the way it should be handled.

LovethoseRockets,

I will give you a good mark for your post. I will also agree that this thread needs to end. It has gotten a little out of hand. I was at the game and opposing sides don't always see the same thing. I didn't see the holds you are talking about, but I'm not going to argue about that. I feel this was a great game and I give the Rockets credit for the way they played. There are always penalties that aren't called that both teams can point out. Most of the time you hope they aren't ones that could have cost you a game. Best of luck for the remainder of the year.