Terrible Officiating/Integrity issues

nebuntyn

I aint with the TSSAA and I aint an official. Lets do away with all refs in every sport. Let the coaches call the game or let the players call there own fouls. Now you wont be blaming the black and white shirts any more for loosing a game.

All games come down to this: WITHOUT REFS, ITS NUTTIN' BUT RECESS!!

I've seen a couple of games this year where, IMO, 'recess' refereeing would have been better. I can live with a blown call or mistakes. That's human. When it is apparent that an official deliberately makes calls to influence a game, or to get back at a coach, is what I take issue with. There is NO excuse for stealing from teenage kids. A referee who would do this should never be allowed to work for the tssaa again. I realize that it's hard to get referees, but we'd be better off using one official, rather than letting these type individuals back on the court to steal from the hard working kids.

I absolutely agree....that's my point. I can live with mistakes, but not inexcuseable calls.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I aint with the TSSAA and I aint an official. Lets do away with all refs in every sport. Let the coaches call the game or let the players call there own fouls. Now you wont be blaming the black and white shirts any more for loosing a game.

All games come down to this: WITHOUT REFS, ITS NUTTIN' BUT RECESS!!

I've seen a couple of games this year where, IMO, 'recess' refereeing would have been better. I can live with a blown call or mistakes. That's human. When it is apparent that an official deliberately makes calls to influence a game, or to get back at a coach, is what I take issue with. There is NO excuse for stealing from teenage kids. A referee who would do this should never be allowed to work for the tssaa again. I realize that it's hard to get referees, but we'd be better off using one official, rather than letting these type individuals back on the court to steal from the hard working kids.

It seems to be worse when you go out of state to play a local team. A game I saw this year the parents were literally wanting the coach to just take the team off the floor due to the game being so one-sided. Players were being knocked down all over the court with no call and on the other end the slightest touch would result in free throws. Other things like not calling it when players were obviously out of bounds or over and back, never getting the posts out of the lane (we counted 30 seconds once!) made it obvious they were cheating for the host team. Their grins and chuckles when the fans were yelling added to it, and they gave the coach a technical for just asking "did you see that foul?" in a calm voice when there was another knockdown to the floor on a shot attempt.

Best ref I saw at the boys state tournament was a woman !!!

She put the guys to shame for sure.

May sound like sour grapes but Marshall County had two horrible crews for both of its games.

Sure we killed ourselves by turning the ball over, but several turnovers were forced by hacking,clawing,grabbing,tackling and mauling...and the refs just watched. Bolivar is a really good team as is Tyner and they're even better when the refs let the games be played this way.

I just wish the TSSAA would open their eyes and realize how bad officiating is getting. It wasn't just at the state, it was all year long. Best crew I saw was the substate crew against MLK. They let the

players play and kept control at the same time. Too many of these guys think they are the show. Hate to tell them this but for $10 I'm not coming to watch the guys in stripes strut their arrogance.

I have a solution to all problems referee. In the age of technology it would be simple. The TSSAA with all their money could have this in place in less than a month.

Step 1. Have a company create an internet program that keeps a running calculation of an officials rating. (Refs with a 5star rating are the best down to 1star the worst or rookies)

Step 2. Have all referees of varsity games on a database on the TSSAA website that instantly goes into the program mentioned in step 1.

Step 3. After each game coaches from both teams are required to rate all three officials based on the following criteria....(Professionalism, Respect, Effort, and Knowlege of the Game) The knowlege of the game part would be the only gray area, because some coaches don't know all the rules. If there was a question about a specific rule then there could be a comment part to this section. If the coach was right then the ref could be corrected. If the ref was right then the coach could be corrected. Everybody Gets Better!

Step 4. The program would automatically tabulate the ratings and keep a running talley through an officials career. You have it set in the beginning that a certain percentage of high ratings gets one star, two stars, three stars, four stars, and five stars. An official has to maintain that percentage to keep that pay grade and status.

Step 5. The 5 Star officials make more money than the others (This would give an incentive to be better) They also get to advance in the tournament. With each star you get a pay raise. I also like the thought of the refs displaying their stars on their uniform as a matter of pride and status.

Step 6. Schools who's coaches do not rate the officials of a particular game would be fined by the TSSAA. (In time this would pay for itself).

The question is this....Do we really want it to get better? I can't see any reason that this wouldn't help....Please post if you think this would work....if not why?

I have a solution to all problems referee. In the age of technology it would be simple. The TSSAA with all their money could have this in place in less than a month.

I think its a good idea in theory but wouldn't work in practice. As a neutral observer of many games, I have noticed that most people have a problem with every official and 90% the losing team thinks the officials caused them to lose the game.

It would definately show trends though. If both coaches thought the official was bad, and this trend continued one might be able to why he/she is reffing varsity games. It would at least bring accountability to the profession. I would think that refs who take pride in their importance would welcome the idea of merrit pay. I as well as other coaches can't blame officials for a loss, but at least I could be part of fixing the problem.

Since the home team has a game administrator attend the games, you could have them evaluate also. Administrators or athletic directors would not be as biased as the coaches involved, therefor could give a little more objective evaluation.

Bottom line though; nobody would look to do this because it would actually give the coaches an opportunity to be involved in the process. As of now all the power and ultimately control comes from the officials. This would at least offer a means to improve a flawed system.