Games for week 3-15

dins8

Bearden 1

Alcoa 0

Very good game. Both teams played hard and played to win. Bearden scored on a quick counter late in the game--vintage Bearden. They also had more chances but didn't always have the run of play. For instance, Alcoa dominated the first ten minutes of the game before Bearden seemed to own the last 30 of the first half. I thought maybe Bearden was going to blow the game open, but then Alcoa had a 15-20 minute spurt in the second half where they had the better play. Momentum is a funny thing.

Alcoa will do very well in AA/A this year. By far they had the best player on the field tonight (Austin Stone). He is intelligent, elusive, and knows how to make others around him better. Like all sophomores, he gets lulled into complaceny, but as he matures he will be a consistent force for the Tornadoes for years to come. Overall, I thought the game was well-managed by Alcoa. They had their chances, and they had chances to tie it in the end. I think this game will only help them in the long run.

Bearden, on the other hand, is down this year, and could (for once) have an early exit come May. They still look like Bearden--physical, direct, organized on defense--but they lack the one, two punch up top that they have had in the past w/ kids like Webster, Shoenfield, and Campbell. This is not to say that they won't have a solid season. After all, the dogs have proven year after year that they are resilient and they know how to win when it matters. Moreover, Wilkerson had an off night, and a veteran player like him will sharpen up down the road. So, paradoxically, despite the fact that they are nowhere near as strong as they have been in the past, don't be surprised if we see Bearden slip through the D.O.D. yet again.

Player of the game: Austin Stone (Alcoa)

Player of the game: Seth Williams (Bearden) What a tackler!

Funniest part of the game: Austin Stone jogged over to the bench in the middle of the game and popped a pill. It was illegal, and I am going to report it to the state. (Just kidding, akula. I thought it was hilarious, and it was obviously nothing illegal).

Scare of the game: #2 for Bearden went down late in the game ostensibly with a knee injury. He did proceed to walk off the field, so I think it fortunately was just a bad cramp. Hope he is okay--he is a very good player who showed off a cannon from long range.

Best,

dins

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ravenwood goals scored by: 3 - Will Linder (Jr.); 2 - Brandon Saunders (Sr.); Andrew Mason (Jr.); and Eric Wurster (Jr.).

looking like ravenwood's center mid tandem is off to a good start. will be interesting to see how they do when the competition ramps up. they will be at the hendersonville classic where i believe they play knox catholic and father ryan. will also be in cleveland end of march against alcoa, cleveland, and others. i think ravenwood led by saunders, linder, and a host of other returning players may be a pretty good side to watch this year. maybe a state tournament attendee?

This is second hand info, so please correct if wrong:

Catholic 2

Hardin Valley 1

Heard that there was a controversial "no goal" for Hardin Valley, and then Catholic caught them celebrating on a quick restart and scored.

Don't know much more than that.