What's wrong with Oak Ridge Baseball program?

karnsbaseball

Last year, there were only two seniors, and this year only three. I heard they had two .300+ hitters quit at the beginning of the season. I know there are some good players there, but many of them seem to drift out of baseball as they progress through high school. They've started this season 0-3, two of those losses at the hands of Karns. What's going on over there?

What I have heard through the OR parents is that he keeps only 22-26 players. This year they have more freshmen (14) than all three other classes combine (12). Their is no way you can compete with other programs when they have 8 to 15 seniors alone on varsity. I was at their tounament this weekend and OR has 3 baseball fields and has the capibility of practing a freshmen team, a JV team and their varsity field which is nice. Other schools would love to have their set up. OR is a gold mine for a coach to build a great program with 40-60 boys easily. They have the atheles at OR but only have 3 seniors on the roster. If they had 6 or 7 seniors as good as the those 3, they would be very good what I have seen.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I gathered from a post I saw earlier on here, the Guymns were told they had to act right and they chose to quit instead.

I don't know the OR Coach but he seems to do a good job with the talent he is given, which isn't much. I think baseball in Oak Ridge is probably the last thing kids go out for. That will be and always has been a football school. Heck, it seems like that school does pretty well in just about every sport so I'm sure he has to scrape the barrel just to field a team.

Does anyone know where the SS is going? He seems like a decent small school pick up with some habits that could be fixed with the right college coach.

OR has a great coach that demands respect out of his players both on and off the field. some parents don't want to admit that there kid has done something wrong and has to be punished for it. So of course it turns out to be the coaches fault. Any good coach will not let his players make the program look bad and look like he has no control over his program. Even if that means letting some of his good players hit the road. In the long run OR will be fine when players/parents stop worrying about themselves and put whats best for the program first!!!!!

From what I gathered from a post I saw earlier on here, the Guymns were told they had to act right and they chose to quit instead.

I don't know the OR Coach but he seems to do a good job with the talent he is given, which isn't much. I think baseball in Oak Ridge is probably the last thing kids go out for. That will be and always has been a football school. Heck, it seems like that school does pretty well in just about every sport so I'm sure he has to scrape the barrel just to field a team.

Does anyone know where the SS is going? He seems like a decent small school pick up with some habits that could be fixed with the right college coach.

the guymons werent told to act right and chose to quit. i know the oak ridge coach and all three guymons personally. Froning has been driving players out of playing baseball for years. Oak Ridge has the talent of any team in their district year in and year out almost. the difference is how much the players develop throughout their high school careers...it seems oak ridge relies on how good there players were as a freshman. any coach that has been at a school for more than a decade with only 2 seasons above .500 maybe is doing something wrong. Nelson Glover never had problems with the talent he was given. :thumb:

Oak Ridge travels to Halls this week and at OR next week. I'll know more then.

Wow, what a game. OR gave Halls all they wanted and up 10-5 at the top of 5. Came to bases loaded and 1 out for halls and Barkley hit one over their heads for the game winner. OR had runner on 3rd and 1 out, ball hit to Beeler at 3rd, tagged the runner at 3rd and threw it to 1st for the double play. OR did make a few costly errors that last inning. Don't let Oak Ridge hang around or you're in for a game. Just my .02 of course.

i dont believe it is a coaching issue at oakridge. ive seen their team play since the coach got there. usually a solid team. they lost their best pitcher to injury and 2 more starters for whatever reason and starting catcher for a while with ankle injury. that would be tough for anyone to overcome.