Knoxville Panthers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Knoxville Panthers will field 1 team this year, 17u. They have not played yet but all indications are that they will be VERY strong. Roster includes Dustin Clarke (Avery, NC)- 2010 Western Highlands Conference Player of the year, Cory Billingsly (Sweetwater HS)- 2010 District MVP, Dylan Ward (Hampton HS)- 2009 District MVP, Nathaniel Hughes (Hampton HS)- 2010 District MVP, Logan Lyle (Unicoi County)- All-District, Skyler Brown (Seymour HS)- All-District and All-County, Chase Buckner (Union County HS)- All- District, Darius Gallaher (Harriman HS)- 2010 state tournament participant, Damien Edwards (Watauga HS, NC)- All-District, Jason Steele (Johnson County HS)- All-District and scoring/rebounding leader in upper eat Tennessee.

5 of these players topped 1000 points in their junior season.

They are in need of an experienced coach. We had 2 excellent coaches lined up but both have decided to return to school- one for his masters and the other entered medical school.

Any interested party please contact me at skyshae2001@yahoo.com or 865-387-1792 to discuss. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

faiths, I looked at most of your posts and you're pretty negative about most every club team you have made a comment about. There are at least 3 really good teams in Knoxville and of course the Travelers have the best team(that money can buy) in town. Does it really matter at 17u as long as the kids are prepared by July and play in fron of college coaches? The Hustle and God's Chosen Few have dangled the Adidas promise to attract a lot of talent and the Travelers jet their 12-15 man roster all over the nation. The rest of us non-sponsored teams simply do the best we can. Plus we aren't playing sub-state. Waste of money.

I wasn't criticizing the Panthers, just making an honest observation of their talent level.

Interesting that you were pretty quick to criticize three other programs on here.

I don't know much about God's Chosen Few or the Hustle and their Adidias affiliation or lack of, so I won't comment. I know the Nashville Celtics have claimed that in the past and it wasn't true, but I can't honestly say if they are or or are not.

Interesting comments about the Travelers. Pretty impressive track record there. The "best team money can buy" comment is pretty funny. Nike invited them to participate in these tournaments, so I'd say they are doing the smart thing by going to these places.

Not criticizing, just stating the truth. The shoe sponsored teams have a distinct advantage recruiting players. We were approached by 2 2009 Travelers players that wanted to play for us. One was lured back by a promise of getting flown to tournaments out west. It's tough to convince players/parents to play for you when they are given free merchandise and promised the sky by the Adidas and Nike programs. The Travelers have historically been the best program in Tn, but, whoever was/is Nike sponsored would produce the same results.

That being said- The Knoxville Panthers finished second in their pool in this past weekend's Knox Vegas Heat Invitational, losing only to Team United Celtics out of Charlotte, NC by a score of 82-80. Team United has 2 top 100 players in 6'2" PG Ian Miller and 6'7" SG Jarrell Eddie. Not bad for an decent sub-state type team.

Actually, the Travelers program began in 1988. Prior to becoming Nike sponsored in 1995, the Travelers won 9 AAU state titles, reached the AAU Final Four four times, played in three AAU national championship games, won multiple titles at the Hoosier Shootout among other premier events, and won the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions.

All prior to Nike sponsorship.

Additionally, the Travelers are one of only a handful of teams that have maintained their Nike sponsorship. Many other programs have been sponsored for a time and lost their sponsorship. The Travelers have not.

Not criticizing, just stating the truth. The shoe sponsored teams have a distinct advantage recruiting players. We were approached by 2 2009 Travelers players that wanted to play for us. One was lured back by a promise of getting flown to tournaments out west. It's tough to convince players/parents to play for you when they are given free merchandise and promised the sky by the Adidas and Nike programs. The Travelers have historically been the best program in Tn, but, whoever was/is Nike sponsored would produce the same results.

That being said- The Knoxville Panthers finished second in their pool in this past weekend's Knox Vegas Heat Invitational, losing only to Team United Celtics out of Charlotte, NC by a score of 82-80. Team United has 2 top 100 players in 6'2" PG Ian Miller and 6'7" SG Jarrell Eddie. Not bad for an decent sub-state type team.

JARRELL EDDIE AND IAN MILLER DIDN'T PLAY AT KNOXVEGAS DID THEY??? THEY ARE 2010 KIDS WHO ARE SIGNED TO VA TECH AND FLORIDA STATE.

mrob,

You're right, my bad! They are still listed on their webpage as 17u and their coach told us they had 2 top 100 prospects on this year's team. Also said this year's team had most of the top players in the Charlotte area. Know they had 6'6" Tony Menton and 6'8" Hans Brase- recognize both of them. Not sure which ones were top 100 as they had at least 7 outstanding players. Top notch program it appears.

mrob,

You're right, my bad! They are still listed on their webpage as 17u and their coach told us they had 2 top 100 prospects on this year's team. Also said this year's team had most of the top players in the Charlotte area. Know they had 6'6" Tony Menton and 6'8" Hans Brase- recognize both of them. Not sure which ones were top 100 as they had at least 7 outstanding players. Top notch program it appears.

YEAH, TEAM UNITED IS TALENTED. MY BUDDY CED CANTY RUNS THAT PROGRAM.