Elizabethton Job

Tab

Chuck Babb,Michael Morrell,Tony Gordon,Todd Whittemore,Jr Campbell,John English if the rumors are true. Maybe even Doug Phillips son from Tennessee High. Whats everyone elses thought's

Don't see Chuck Babb getting the job. He was the JV coach under Street. Can't see Morrell leaving the college ranks unless he's recently unemployed with the Purnell job change. Gordon's name has been mentioned, but his recent departure from MW (I think) is problematic. Don't know him at all, but have heard Whittemore is an absolute nut job so again not likely. My guess is J.R. Campbell would be seen as a temporary solution, so that's also doubtful. Can't imagine English leaving Unicoi for Elizabethton. Phillips has no varsity head coaching experience so that's very unlikely.

Unfortunately, I don't have any better information than what's been offered. I have heard around town that there has been some applicants that wanted to remain anonymous because they were currently employed and feared repercussions if they failed to land the job. However, I don't know who these are...

Chuck Babb might do a good job but won't get hired. Morrell well only if he doesn't get another assistant job. Gordan I don't think so. Whittemore would be a good hire if Betsy wants to win games. Campbell has a great basketball mind but I think it would be hard for him to leave his job now. English isn't leaving Unicoi County for Betsy. Phillips is a good coach but like Babb he has no head coaching experience.

I would be very interested to know who the anonymous coaches were. What head coach in the area would leave their job for it? Only few I can think of is UH's, Unaka's, and Norths.

I am not sure where the road leads. Will be interesting! :thumb:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course some of these guys havent had the head coaching experience that's why they are called assistance. Mostly every head coach has played the role of an assistant in some point of their career. It's the guys they are working under that make them who they are once they are put in that role. Phillips coaches hard and comes from a good coaching background. But mainly what you want is a winner,good intentions on making kids better not only on the floor but in the classroom. And I think once you are put in that position as a head coach you start seeing these younger guys grow up and take responsibility and actions of what a head coach is supposed to do. Just make sure you surround yourself with good assitants and do things your way and keep your main focus on whats best for the program not from the parents point of view.

Of course some of these guys havent had the head coaching experience that's why they are called assistance. Mostly every head coach has played the role of an assistant in some point of their career. It's the guys they are working under that make them who they are once they are put in that role. Phillips coaches hard and comes from a good coaching background. But mainly what you want is a winner,good intentions on making kids better not only on the floor but in the classroom. And I think once you are put in that position as a head coach you start seeing these younger guys grow up and take responsibility and actions of what a head coach is supposed to do. Just make sure you surround yourself with good assitants and do things your way and keep your main focus on whats best for the program not from the parents point of view.

I agree 100%. I think Phillips will do a good job when he gets his chance. I just think Betsy is to proud to hire a coach with out head coaching experience. I guess we will know very soon how this will play out.

Neil Phillips would be a great hire at Betsy. Young, knowledgeable, and a hard worker, his teams always play hard. You guys talk about not having experience as a head coach. That may be true but he has experience. He has been the head JV. coach at a couple inner city schools in the Greensboro area and also at Bristol for a number of years. Not only has he handled those jobs well he also has worked under some very good coaches in those schools. He comes from a strong family of educators and coaches. His father did a wonderful job at Hampton, his brother-in law is Elizabethton's Mr. Baseball, now with the Texas Rangers. What else does Betsy want? Remember Coach English at Unicoi County was an assistant, JV coach, before he got his chance. Charlie Morgan was Pitt's assistant at Science Hill. And remember, Betsy's last two head coaches were established head coaches that just didn't get it done so maybe they should look for someone younger.

Other names that Betsy should consider is John Good at Science Hill, another great coach that needs a chance. Mitch Cox at North does more with less than anybody. Coach Smith an assistant at Unicoi County, Coach Browles at Daniel Boone. These guys are hard working individuals that deserve a chance.

Neil Phillips would be a great hire at Betsy. Young, knowledgeable, and a hard worker, his teams always play hard. You guys talk about not having experience as a head coach. That may be true but he has experience. He has been the head JV. coach at a couple inner city schools in the Greensboro area and also at Bristol for a number of years. Not only has he handled those jobs well he also has worked under some very good coaches in those schools. He comes from a strong family of educators and coaches. His father did a wonderful job at Hampton, his brother-in law is Elizabethton's Mr. Baseball, now with the Texas Rangers. What else does Betsy want? Remember Coach English at Unicoi County was an assistant, JV coach, before he got his chance. Charlie Morgan was Pitt's assistant at Science Hill. And remember, Betsy's last two head coaches were established head coaches that just didn't get it done so maybe they should look for someone younger.

Other names that Betsy should consider is John Good at Science Hill, another great coach that needs a chance. Mitch Cox at North does more with less than anybody. Coach Smith an assistant at Unicoi County, Coach Browles at Daniel Boone. These guys are hard working individuals that deserve a chance.

I couldn't agree more. Cox has already proved he can be a head coach. Smith has been with English for a good amount of time and has been involved with many wins and championships. Browles has been at Boone since Arnold has and they had a great run this year. It would be great for Betsy to look at one of these guys but I just don't see it happening. They want a quick fix. If whoever they hire doesn't produce in a couple of years we will be back on here all over again. Thats just how it is there. This program needs work from the bottom to the top. I wish whoever they hire the best of luck. Betsy may be the best AA job in this area. Getting the right guy in place could show that to be true!