Public vs. Private

tradertwo

This stems from another thread, that sort'a bled over into the public vs. private debate. I personaly believe that any school with the power to control enrolment has a huge advantage athleticly,especially those in metropolitan areas. Take even a smaller "city",and condense the best athleates into one small school,and it spells DYNASTY, even with the multiplier. Small rural schools which draw only from the local talent pool are at the mercy of fate,as it should be. I'm not saying that coaching doesn't matter,just the opposite. I'm pointing out the fact that it's disheartening to see a team consisting of local kids play up to their potential, only to have to face a virtual "all-star team" to be recognised other than localy. Anyone else?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is relative to the resources available to you. Urban and highly populated suburban areas have more kids to draw from. Private schools are typically located in these locales as are most AAA teams. Smaller populated AA and A schools have fewer kids to draw from. Still, I've been thoroughly impressed with the baseball teams from smaller towns that come out of West Tennessee. Hardin Co. and Dyer Co., Lexington and Milan don't necessarily fit the mold. Union City has one of the finest facilities that you'll see anywhere and they compete. Good coaching, pride in a tradition and community play factors there and to me, it's much more rewarding to see guys from a small town compete at the highest level.

It is what it is. Not everybody is going to be happy with a multiplier or not, but I agree that open enrollment or magnet schools should have the same penalty as the privates if we're trying to level the playing field. If we're not, stick them in a division and let them go at it.

This stems from another thread, that sort'a bled over into the public vs. private debate. I personaly believe that any school with the power to control enrolment has a huge advantage athleticly,especially those in metropolitan areas. Take even a smaller "city",and condense the best athleates into one small school,and it spells DYNASTY, even with the multiplier. Small rural schools which draw only from the local talent pool are at the mercy of fate,as it should be. I'm not saying that coaching doesn't matter,just the opposite. I'm pointing out the fact that it's disheartening to see a team consisting of local kids play up to their potential, only to have to face a virtual "all-star team" to be recognised other than localy. Anyone else?

Sounds like your school got pounded by a private school.... Don't hate! How about we talk about the public schools that take players away from other schools that the players are not zoned for. We can go on and on about this but it will not do any good. What is your experience with this?

This can go two ways - our small private school felt the same way after being multiplied into AA. We are playing by the rules, and our starting 5 have been playing together since 1st grade (no one was recruited then :?: ) We could compete with any of the 5 county schools in Junior High. The high school that we have to compete with now pulls the "all-stars" from those 5 Jr. High teams, and we are still playing our same starting 5 that we played in Jr. High.

I understand the dead end argument on public-private, but just thought I would throw out an opinion from "the other side"

How do you not see the disadvantage if you are a public school? Why is it fair for a private school to come sit in the gym of a public school and openly recruit their players but a public school sends a flyer to a middle school to all of their students inviting them to come to a game and that school has the book thrown at them? (riverdale girls)

How do you not see the disadvantage if you are a public school? Why is it fair for a private school to come sit in the gym of a public school and openly recruit their players but a public school sends a flyer to a middle school to all of their students inviting them to come to a game and that school has the book thrown at them? (riverdale girls)

Ha ha ha, because you do not have the power of the mighty Ricky Bowers on your side!!!

Sounds like your school got pounded by a private school.... Don't hate! How about we talk about the public schools that take players away from other schools that the players are not zoned for. We can go on and on about this but it will not do any good. What is your experience with this?

I'm not sure Trader is talking about getting pounded by a private school..I think he's saying..may as well go back to years ago when the privates were playing the public schools..I think Trader is refering to schools like Jackcon Co that has other schools in the same county ..maybe even Clarkrange..But like several of the girls leaving York Institute to play for Jackson Co..basically going from a strong team to an all star team..May as well play the privates..Until the TSSAA puts a stop to students going to any school they want to attend as freshmen without sitting out a year..is going to keep happening..Especially with AAU ball and open gyms..The TSSAA needs to step up...If a family moves..nothing to be said..!

Back a few years ago, in the late 80's and 90's, a couple of private schools (MUS & David Lipscomb) may have kept Union City from advancing to at least the state semi-finals, maybe even state championship appearances but the Tornadoes weren't blown out in any of the games....The Union City basketball team has had to beat David Lipscomb, Brentwood Acd.,Harding Acd. (twice), Chattanooga Grace and Temple on their way to some of their 5 state championships...Going back to football, UC has had to face JCS, Fayette Acd and TCA in the playoffs since they dropped to 1A....My feeling has always been that you have to beat whatever team is in your way...Public or private, it doesn't matter...

Back a few years ago, in the late 80's and 90's, a couple of private schools (MUS & David Lipscomb) may have kept Union City from advancing to at least the state semi-finals, maybe even state championship appearances but the Tornadoes weren't blown out in any of the games....The Union City basketball team has had to beat David Lipscomb, Brentwood Acd.,Harding Acd. (twice), Chattanooga Grace and Temple on their way to some of their 5 state championships...Going back to football, UC has had to face JCS, Fayette Acd and TCA in the playoffs since they dropped to 1A....My feeling has always been that you have to beat whatever team is in your way...Public or private, it doesn't matter...

I agree..I imagine U.S.J. has kept Lake Co out in past years when both were loaded along with Bruceton..I'd just as soon still be playing those teams..

• 1 month later...

I have no problem in the area of private schools playing within districts with public schools. Except to see a private school that competes way above the competion of there district or region. An example is Friendship Christian... baseball, football, (not sure about basketball) they out match any single A team and should be moved up Double or triple A. But I guess that if my small school could recruit players then it wouldnt matter.