Public vs. Private

tradertwo

Go back to 4 divisions:

Schools that grant financial aid would be required to play in AAA & AAAA

No private schools in Class A

AMEN cbg, No actual proof means it doesnt happen... right. OK I went to a private school on a scholarship my school was paid for so I could play basketball. So I for one knows it happens!

Sure you did. If we all had a dollar for every time that claim has been made, we would all be rich.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....looks like you stayed on the court more than you stayed in class - hope they got their money's worth.

Wow a post that has nothing to do with the Public vs. Private debate. Looks like just another pie hole that attacks a post without adding anything worth while.

Ok, how about this - if you attended a private school and it was paid for, then report it to the TSSAA so something can be done about it. If you knew it was wrong to accept the scholarship and you still accepted it, then that says something about your character. Signed: pie hole

FYI I graduated in the early 80's. I was a kid who did what I was told to. The school is closd now. As far a character go's blame the people who wanted to put together teams that dominated. Your still a pie hole for not addressing the private vs public school debate.

Go back to 4 divisions:

Schools that grant financial aid would be required to play in AAA & AAAA

No private schools in Class A

AMEN cbg, No actual proof means it doesnt happen... right. OK I went to a private school on a scholarship my school was paid for so I could play basketball. So I for one knows it happens!

Sure you did. If we all had a dollar for every time that claim has been made, we would all be rich.

I see we still cant address the topic at hand. I'm sure if I had a dollars for every nah sayer then I wouldnt be on here.

Publics will never be happy as long as privates are winning any titles in D1...

They are not even happy when privates are losing.

On this thread alone, a private school with one all-time basbeall title to its credit and no other championships (including football) in its history is being called out. This same school has been put out of the football playoffs four of the last five years by a public school.

The P/P debate always has been somewhat dysfunctional but seems to have increased in ridiculousness in recent years. I love reading the Grace Christian thread on the 1A/2A Football Board. That school's transgressions aside (for which they are seemingly being justly and harshly punished), the public furor and vitriol is being directed toward a private school that has lost playoff games in the last three years by 44, 25, and 34 - all to public schools, and only one of which has a legitimate, long-term claim as a football power. Lord knows what will be said about them should they ever fill the mudholes that have been stomped in their backsides and start winning some titles.

I would like to see people who speak out against the privates post their school affiliations in their posts. My guess is names like "South Pittsburg", "Trousdale County", "Alcoa", et al. would not show up often, with the point being that many of the naysayers out there support programs that would have difficulty winning even without the presence of privates. Private schools can and certainly have been the scapegoat for certain public schools that have difficulty competing at any level. Blaming it on the privates is an easy crutch that draws sympathy, even from the publics who don't have relative trouble athletically with privates but can easily join the cause through a general disdain of privates on non-athletic levels.

Who/what are the also-ran public schools going to use as scapegoats/excuses when there is no private competition to blame? I don't want to hear "we won't care, as long as the playing field is level". Until they stop making scoreboards, fans will always care.

I have no problem in the area of private schools playing within districts with public schools. Except to see a private school that competes way above the competion of there district or region. An example is Friendship Christian... baseball, football, (not sure about basketball) they out match any single A team and should be moved up Double or triple A. But I guess that if my small school could recruit players then it wouldnt matter.

Ya need to go to some of ur stronger A public schools and see how they use the "transfer" rules to better their teams - instead of paying tuition, u just pay to move.......

....looks like you stayed on the court more than you stayed in class - hope they got their money's worth.

Wow a post that has nothing to do with the Public vs. Private debate. Looks like just another pie hole that attacks a post without adding anything worth while.

Ok, how about this - if you attended a private school and it was paid for, then report it to the TSSAA so something can be done about it. If you knew it was wrong to accept the scholarship and you still accepted it, then that says something about your character. Signed: pie hole

FYI I graduated in the early 80's. I was a kid who did what I was told to. The school is closd now. As far a character go's blame the people who wanted to put together teams that dominated. Your still a pie hole for not addressing the private vs public school debate.

Wow...that makes you late 40's and you are still calling names? As much as I have enjoyed this banter and trying to read your posts without laughing out loud, I will end this standing by everything I have said. (Also I have a post just above your post addressing the debate) Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...
This stems from another thread, that sort'a bled over into the public vs. private debate. I personaly believe that any school with the power to control enrolment has a huge advantage athleticly,especially those in metropolitan areas. Take even a smaller "city",and condense the best athleates into one small school,and it spells DYNASTY, even with the multiplier. Small rural schools which draw only from the local talent pool are at the mercy of fate,as it should be. I'm not saying that coaching doesn't matter,just the opposite. I'm pointing out the fact that it's disheartening to see a team consisting of local kids play up to their potential, only to have to face a virtual "all-star team" to be recognised other than localy. Anyone else?

This can go two ways - our small private school felt the same way after being multiplied into AA. We are playing by the rules, and our starting 5 have been playing together since 1st grade (no one was recruited then :roflol: ) We could compete with any of the 5 county schools in Junior High. The high school that we have to compete with now pulls the "all-stars" from those 5 Jr. High teams, and we are still playing our same starting 5 that we played in Jr. High.

I understand the dead end argument on public-private, but just thought I would throw out an opinion from "the other side"

Super post movinonup, this is exactly the reason that I started this thread! I NEVER intended to point fingers, just to get real opinions to the contrary! This just shows that there are never valid disagreements in which only one side is compleatly right. It does however point out that almost any situation can be manipulated to either's advantage if "bending" the rules to win is acceptable. This thread was posted before the situation with Graces' star player came to light,sorry for the kid,but proof that it does sometimes happen. Hurts the schools on both sides of this debate,and punishment should be (in my opinion) severe. Thanks for the honest reply,and for not taking the opportunity to " bash" someone for difference of point of view!!! :roflol:

• 2 years later...

PUBLIC (thats been here for decades, if not anyone can come for free) Vs. PUBLIC

PRIVATE (CHEATERS,STUCKUP,NEW,ADVANTAGED) VS. PRIVATE

Keep what it used to be!!

Someone got a bright idea that they would do this so they could beat a public school.

To be honest there isnt enough people that care about that private horse crap.

Be REAL LEGIT and POWERFUL= PUBLIC

not FAKE,CHEATED WEAK = PRIVATE

PUBLIC (thats been here for decades, if not anyone can come for free) Vs. PUBLIC

PRIVATE (CHEATERS,STUCKUP,NEW,ADVANTAGED) VS. PRIVATE

Keep what it used to be!!

Someone got a bright idea that they would do this so they could beat a public school.

To be honest there isnt enough people that care about that private horse crap.

Be REAL LEGIT and POWERFUL= PUBLIC

not FAKE,CHEATED WEAK = PRIVATE

Does you Mom know you figured out the password to get on the internet?