TSSAA regional meetings

bearmen

I hear alot of complaints by different coaches,athletic directors and principals but I see very few "wrestling people" at these meetings. The TSSAA regional meetings will take place in early Nov. in Memphis,Knoxville and Nashville. Each school can present proposals or changes that they want to become part of the TSSAA bylaws. The proposals are voted on in each region and usually if their is a strong majority vote across the state,the legislative coumcil will make those changes. You must get your proposal in about four weeks prior to the meetings. Not all proposals that pass in the regional meetings become part of our bylaws. These meetings are held at 1PM at different schools and are open to coaches also. I know that most coaches are involved with their practices and that makes it hard for you to attend. The meetings last about two hours,depending on what is on the agenda. If you don't like how things are being done get your school involved and try to change it.

I agree Bearmen. Those who have been using this board to vent and share their frustrations regarding the rules of TSSAA should contact their coach or AD and have them attend these meetings and ask for change. If you really want change you have to use the process thats available and these meetings are to be used for this purpose. Bearmen, I know you attend these meetings and have told me that wrestling usually has no one at these meetings. So for those of you who aren't happy with things as they are now, here is your chance to do something other than go back and forth on these boards with no hope for results.

Walkenvol, will you be talking to Coach Connell or Bill Cherry about attending this meeting? If so let us know things turn out and what they tell you. Thanks.

The agenda for the Regional Meetings is determined by the Board and Council. If they receive a "sticky" proposal, they may put it on the Regional agenda to get the feel of the membership. So proposals must first go to the Board or Council. Two years ago a proposal for one wrestling tournament was on the agenda of the March Board meeting in Murfreesboro. It failed because no one was there to speak in favor of the proposal - not even the folks who got it on the agenda! My opinion is there will never be one tournament again. Reason: Publics will demand a financial aid rule for privates and we've already been there/done that. It won't happen. Give it up.

Bill Cherry

Bill you have been at every Board and Council meeting that I have attended over the last ten years but every proposal that our school has sent in has been on the agenda of the regional meeting. I agree that the wrestling community doesn't get very involved with the Board or Council. IMO going back to one tournament will not happen anytime soon.