Memphis Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen 4/15

DragonSoc

Here's the Memphis newspaper's local rankings for 4/15. This was compiled before Collierville's 3-1 loss to White Station and Bolton's 8-0 rout by Houston. Collierville visit Briarcrest Tuesday 4/20.

Boys Soccer Dandy Dozen

/ Record / LastRank

1. Briarcrest / 5-2-0 / 2

2. White Station / 3-0-2 / 3

3. MUS / 3-1-2 / 5

4. Collierville / 6-0-2 / 8

5. ECS / 5-0-2 / 12

6. St. George's / 5-2-0 / 1

7. Kingsbury / 7-0-2 / 7

8. CBHS / 2-3-2 / 4

9. Houston / 5-3-0 / 9

10. Cordova / 5-3-1 / 6

11. Arlington / 5-2-1 / 10

12. Bolton / 7-1-0 / NR

Here's the Memphis newspaper's local rankings for 4/15. This was compiled before Collierville's 3-1 loss to White Station and Bolton's 8-0 rout by Houston. Collierville visit Briarcrest Tuesday 4/20.

Boys Soccer Dandy Dozen

/ Record / LastRank

1. Briarcrest / 5-2-0 / 2

2. White Station / 3-0-2 / 3

3. MUS / 3-1-2 / 5

4. Collierville / 6-0-2 / 8

5. ECS / 5-0-2 / 12

6. St. George's / 5-2-0 / 1

7. Kingsbury / 7-0-2 / 7

8. CBHS / 2-3-2 / 4

9. Houston / 5-3-0 / 9

10. Cordova / 5-3-1 / 6

11. Arlington / 5-2-1 / 10

12. Bolton / 7-1-0 / NR

Looks good to me. Unfortunately for Briarcrest, their schedule is brutal this year. Even with wins over CBHS, MUS, Germantown, and Kingsbury (scrimmage). They still have MUS, CBHS, Houston, Collierville, WHite Station, West, Independence, St.Benedict, and Henry County left. Not one game is a sure win! As a matter of fact, many would take odds on the being sure losses. Of course, that's what makes the games fun. The Briarcrest boys are having a great start to their season. First win against CBHS in school history and a tough hard fought win over MUS is a great start for anyone.

WHite Station game vs Collierville was a fun night. Both teams played very well. Score was tied 1-1 with 9 minutes to go. Rex Brown got loose in the box and found the back of the net to put White Station up. Funny how soccer goes. I had just mentioned how Collierville was starting to control the game and just like that WHite Station scores. Third goal was by Andre Shibata, with less than 2 to play on a ball that was pinging around the box after a corner kick.

Both teams played so hard. Fun to watch.

CHS's coach and players didn't walk away with the same perspective as you describe.

I don't want to sound completely negative, but I don't want to make excuses either. White Station out hustled the Dragons, plain and simple and should be commended. CHS outshot WS 19-12, but the Spartans quick defensive pressure all over the pitch blocked 6 of those shots within feet of the players. Collierville's Sophomore keeper spilled an initial save to allow a goal and is displaying a reserved energy that reflects in his reaction time that was not the case during his freshman campaign. Rex Brown, White Station's talented gun found himself open too many times and was Collierville's main demise. Unfortunately, Collierville knew he was a main threat going into the match but still failed to neutralize him.

Dragons fans, players and coaches saw many flaws in that game that cannot be labeled as playing hard or well compared to our previous games. Collierville's lone goal came off a corner kick that was shot instead of crossed (yes, he meant to do that!). Sounds good, but with your centerback up in the box and your midfield crowding in as well, the low percentage attempt could easily set up a counter attack. Hindsight shows it worked when the WS keeper uncharcteristically bobbled his near post save into the goal, but that attempt is not going to work but 1 out of 100 tries even on less talented keepers. Other opportunities were missed as players got away from team ball. CHS's attack became too predictable.

The third goal came with a disorganized defense and a lackadaisical midfield where wingers didn't get back to defend and center mids were dribbled around. This was the first game where Collierville hasn't scored two or more goals and the first match where the Dragon defense has allowed over two goals. It can labeled no other way than sub-par.

On the brightside, the Dragons got a wake up call, and had what their co-captain described as "the best practice we've had all year" today. Hopefully they are re-focused and ready for a tough stretch of games. Collierville faces Briarcrest, Brentwood, Cordova and MUS to finish out April. Father Ryan, Jackson Northside and ECS follow in May. I do agree, should be fun and as a father of a Senior, hopefully some fond memories.

Mr. Boyd,

Thanks for the comments. I love watching the boys play. I have watched so many of the players the last 10 years compete with or against my son. I really have enjoyed watching them grow as young men and as soccer players. It looks like you have the Dandy Dozen under control. I will tell you that Memphis Central is making some noise. Might want to give them a look. I heard they had a ton of players try out. Lots of excitement with their soccer program this year. I know their record is impressive as was their win against White Station. Of course, White Station might have had a bit of a hangover after their win against Collierville.

ECS has a very good team. Lots of club players litter their lineup. You are correct about their schedule. Some of the schools they have played this year have very little enrollment and ECS has been destroying them (10-0, 11-1, 7-0, 7-1). CBHS has been playing without their best player for the last two weeks. They are not the same team without him stretching the field for them. Still, it is always nice to beat a team with access to that many club players and a WIN is a WIN. With only Collierville (center back out for a while with a knee issue) Kingsbury (suffering from red card problems) and Memphis Central left as tough games, I look for ECS to finish without a loss. ECS dropping to the smaller private school division is kind of a joke. They are closer to the enrollment at Briarcrest then they are to the other schools in their division. Too bad, they obviously could have been right in the thick of things with the bigger private schools this year. Of course, winning a state title is definitely in the cards for ECS now.

ECS has a very good team. Lots of club players litter their lineup. You are correct about their schedule. Some of the schools they have played this year have very little enrollment and ECS has been destroying them (10-0, 11-1, 7-0, 7-1). CBHS has been playing without their best player for the last two weeks. They are not the same team without him stretching the field for them. Still, it is always nice to beat a team with access to that many club players and a WIN is a WIN. With only Collierville (center back out for a while with a knee issue) Kingsbury (suffering from red card problems) and Memphis Central left as tough games, I look for ECS to finish without a loss. ECS dropping to the smaller private school division is kind of a joke. They are closer to the enrollment at Briarcrest then they are to the other schools in their division. Too bad, they obviously could have been right in the thick of things with the bigger private schools this year. Of course, winning a state title is definitely in the cards for ECS now.

You are usually very good with your analysis. Can you explain what you mean by "dropping to the smaller private school division is kind of a joke" when it's the TSSAA that establishes the enrollment cut-offs for schools?

Sure, it's not ECS's fault. No harm meant. It's purely numbers. The cut off for the smaller and larger private schools was just over the ECS enrollment. I think with an enrollment of around 500 or so, they are going to have a huge advantage over most of their competition in the area. Look at the enrollment of their competition in the area. Coach T has it on each team's site. St. Georges is around 200 (I was very surprised it was this small), some Of the school's are in the 100s. So if you figure half are girls. Ecs has around 250 boys, the larger schools; Briarcrest around 300 boys, St. Benedict around 350 boys, Mus around 400 boys, and CBHS at about 900 boys. The smaller schoolls, now in ECS's division: St. Georges around 115 boys, Harding 200 boys, laussane 100 boys, tipton rosemark 80 boys, bishop bryne 80 boys, FAC 115 boys. That all I meant. The enrollment makes it easier to understand the CBHS dominace in most every sport over the years. Of course each school has had those special teams here and there, but CBHS and now ECS in their division should always be a force.

Anyway, good for ECS. They didn't make the rules.

Sure, it's not ECS's fault. No harm meant. It's purely numbers. The cut off for the smaller and larger private schools was just over the ECS enrollment. I think with an enrollment of around 500 or so, they are going to have a huge advantage over most of their competition in the area. Look at the enrollment of their competition in the area. Coach T has it on each team's site. St. Georges is around 200 (I was very surprised it was this small), some Of the school's are in the 100s. So if you figure half are girls. Ecs has around 250 boys, the larger schools; Briarcrest around 300 boys, St. Benedict around 350 boys, Mus around 400 boys, and CBHS at about 900 boys. The smaller schoolls, now in ECS's division: St. Georges around 115 boys, Harding 200 boys, laussane 100 boys, tipton rosemark 80 boys, bishop bryne 80 boys, FAC 115 boys. That all I meant. The enrollment makes it easier to understand the CBHS dominace in most every sport over the years. Of course each school has had those special teams here and there, but CBHS and now ECS in their division should always be a force.

Anyway, good for ECS. They didn't make the rules.

Understood that's what I thought you were saying. I actually think the school enrollment whether AA or A has less to do with success than the # of club players a squad has.

Agreed. It does help to have a large pool of students to choose from when you just need a couple great athletes to compliment your club players.

This year the older club players, 92s and 93s are spread across the board much better than in the past. MUS and CBHS will be a handful in the next couple years though, as they have gotten the majority of the strong club players in 94 and 95 age groups.