Austin-East Coaching vacancy

TommyTrojan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear Gillard and Tillman (another Oak Ridger) are applying. They have a lot returning and I know the kids are hoping for someone in house.

Sometimes its good to go outside the house, I think they should look outside for a chance. I mean the new coach can adapt to the players..

Austin East is not typical job. There are a lot that goes into coaching there. This year team has a bunch returning but what about 2 years down the road. There a lot of things not just on the football field that is needed there. That is why Graham was so important there for the last 10 years. If you ask the kids at that school and in that community he was very important to all of them not just football players. I know him personally and know of the committment and passion he had for all those kids over there. Even when Stevens, who I'm cool with too, was there it was Graham that was the face of the program in the community. If you think back to 2002 a lot of kids in the community started going to other schools. Graham was able to close the borders the last couple of years and keep the players. The new coach must be a staple in the community. I think new meat could be helpful, a fresh start always is but it has to be someone who is willing to spend some time there. Because from what I hear the teachers there have to work longer hours and more days. So you have to want to be there for more than football.

I hear the former OC, Coach Bragg, is looking to get back to the ET area. He is coaching somewhere in Middle Tn. now but is interested in moving back closer to family.

Bragg would be a great candidate for the job. My son was a senior when Coach Bragg was there. He did alot of things to help build team morale. All of the staff did. Right now he's the head coach at Montgomery Central (Clarksville, TN) I think.

Kids want Coach Gillard or Tillman. They want to keep it the same as possible. Not just for football but Graham had it like a family there. They want it to stay in the family. Coach Bragg left the family and a lot of the kids said he wants to come back because of the talent but how long would he stay here. He just got to new school why would he leave. I don't know him just heard Graham comment on him. And I know they stay in touch with each other. Graham thought highly of Bragg and proud he is where he is. One of the coaches questions if Bragg could handle the fans without losing it. He said Bragg had a temper. Graham has been used to the pressure. That is something else a new coach has to consider. Eastside is very demanding without giving anything back. That is one reason why I think Stanton left. I pleaded with Graham not to take it too. They are just so negative there. Wouldn't doubt that was a factor in his leave also. But wouldn't it be great if Rankin could take it. But I don't think he would do as well. He likes to have total control and on the eastside it is just not going to happen.

Kids want Coach Gillard or Tillman. They want to keep it the same as possible. Not just for football but Graham had it like a family there. They want it to stay in the family. Coach Bragg left the family and a lot of the kids said he wants to come back because of the talent but how long would he stay here. He just got to new school why would he leave. I don't know him just heard Graham comment on him. And I know they stay in touch with each other. Graham thought highly of Bragg and proud he is where he is. One of the coaches questions if Bragg could handle the fans without losing it. He said Bragg had a temper. Graham has been used to the pressure. That is something else a new coach has to consider. Eastside is very demanding without giving anything back. That is one reason why I think Stanton left. I pleaded with Graham not to take it too. They are just so negative there. Wouldn't doubt that was a factor in his leave also. But wouldn't it be great if Rankin could take it. But I don't think he would do as well. He likes to have total control and on the eastside it is just not going to happen.

Eastside or Westside or Northside can be very demanding if you're not winning.. Ask Coach Helton at Central, ask Ole Bucky at Fulton. Fans will be fans no matter what side of town it is. Coach Stevens, I think he left because he wanted to go home and try to take his alma mater to the gold ball like he did at AE. In my opinion, if Stevens would've waited a couple months before accepting the job he has now, he would've came back to AE..

I still think AE should go outside the family but more than likely Gillard will get the job.

I've never heard of Bragg losing it when he was at AE. He must be doing something right. He's the head coach of a 4A team and still in his 20's at a non-black school. I don't know if he's interested in AE or not. I probably wouldn't be if I was him. I just know how the kids responded to him when my son was there. If you've ever been inside AE's varsity locker room, that was Bragg who did all of that. I remember having to drop my son off at the church on Saturday mornings with a mentor that Bragg set up for him (as well as 12 other AE kids). I also remember going to a carnival at the Brainerd game that Bragg set up before he left with Eternal Life. I remember picking my son up from practice and he would have a fresh haircut without having any money. He said Bragg cut it for having good grades. When Graham set a team curfew, Bragg, along with other coaches, would go to parties just to make sure our kids weren't getting in trouble. When the kids and their families ate for free at Taco Bell after the games, that was Bragg too. What does any of that have to do with talent or football? AE didn't even have a football website until Bragg got there. Bragg left AE because of the money. Which is what Graham left for too. How can anyone be upset about that? That's going to always happen until AE is able to give the new head coach/ assistant coaches something besides the K-town stipend. How can you even begin to consider yourself a powerhouse school if you don't have powerhouse money to keep coaches? Did Gillard or Tillman do any of that this past year? I'm not knocking them, I'm just biast because I know the impact Bragg had on my son and his class. What coaching experience does Tilman/ Gillard have that would qualify them as head coach?

Eastside or Westside or Northside can be very demanding if you're not winning.. Ask Coach Helton at Central, ask Ole Bucky at Fulton. Fans will be fans no matter what side of town it is. Coach Stevens, I think he left because he wanted to go home and try to take his alma mater to the gold ball like he did at AE. In my opinion, if Stevens would've waited a couple months before accepting the job he has now, he would've came back to AE..

I still think AE should go outside the family but more than likely Gillard will get the job.