Running up the Score?

Luvdagame

I had a response for you soccerkeeper last night, but my phone kept screwing up and wouldn't let me post it. Hopefully I can remember all of it..

I guess kids that play sports to win don't love the sport? I can't recall ever having played a sport I don't love, except when playing my uncle in tennis, and the occasional volleyball game in gym class. I guess I shouldn't put it that way, that people play to win, but that is the goal. So, imo, that's part of the reason for playing. Also, if you are on a team capable of routing a team, then your team is obviously pretty decent, therefore you are more likely to be playing to win, whereas a team who hasn't won a game in 3 years, they will find a different reason to play. I think we all know that in these discussions no one is going to change their opinion. That usually seems to be how they all end up on here. We enter them with our mind made up, we read, usually, valid points made by the opposing side, then at best, we leave the discussion with the same opinion we came in with just maybe with a different view of it. That's usually what happens with me. Come in thinking one thing, leave thinking the same thing, but maybe a different way of going about it and an understanding/appreciation for how the other side feels about the subject.

Also, I think the walmart comparison is valid (of course I am going to think so, since I brought it up). Wally World is good at what they do. They go about their business. I don't think it's so much that they don't care about the little guy, just more so, they exist to make money and be successful. They'd rather just not deal with the little guy at all. I think, now I am not saying Farragut, so no need to announce that I have no connection with them, because who cares? I'm not speaking for them or anything, so stop obsessing over that... But good teams in sports, would just rather not play the weak teams. Generally can end up in a lose/lose situation. You risk getting starters hurt, or you look bad because you won by too much. They would rather just win their games and do what they set out to accomplish, win games. If the little guy gets in the way, then so be it. I know business isn't the greatest comparison with sports, butI think atleast someone will see what I mean? I sure am going to miss going to games when I go out west for school in the fall and next spring. Luckily I still have coacht? Maybe we should just get together and have this discussion in a public place screaming and yelling making a scene (all in good fun).. Just seems slightly more entertaining, and a good way to get our points across. haha.

I agree though BigG, the boards have been rather dry lately. Disappointing signing on and seeing that there are no new posts, and the latest post was 6 hours ago. And really? only 2 pages in the Farragut/Bearden thread? VERY unusual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have read through this entire thread, and have to give a quick comment. As someone who has played and coached soccer for the good part of 30 years now (wow, I'm getting old), this is exactly why the general American sports public will never embrace soccer. It IS different from every other sport in the sense that is it not just about how many times I can put the ball in the back of the net. A great team can dominate a team and only win 2 or 3 to 0. America does not get that, as proven by the long posts I have read. Of course, you play to win in sports, but does that mean that I should have one of my players slide tackle with both feet the other team's best player and break his ankle? Without him/her on the field I have a better chance to "win." I don't know many coaches (fortunately) that would do that. So, while winning is what you are always trying to do, there are ways in soccer to do that with respect and sportsmanship. Let us also remember we are talking about youth soccer here. I don't know of a single soccer player in the US that is high school age that is good enough to be playing professionally around the world right now. If you are playing professionally, there are no excuses, I agree. You should be able to stop a team from scoring 10 goals in a game because that is your profession and what you are getting paid to do. But this is youth soccer, where you are teaching not only the game, but how to play it with respect to the game and your opponent. I have been up 6-0 at halftime twice this season, and both times we did not score a single time in the second half. I put restrictions on as several of you have talked about, which does not mean you stop trying to score, but there is more to soccer than scoring goals - unlike football, basketball, or any other US accepted major sport, where that is all the game is about. There is a huge difference between not trying/quitting and working on good soccer with restrictions on your players. Okay, maybe not so quick of a comment - sorry!

I took a look at the results from some of the traditional top teams in the state (CAK, Farragut, Bearden, Christian Bros, Father Ryan, and Brentwood. Between these six teams they have a total of 11 games where they either shut a team out and won by more than 6 or beat a team by a score of 7-1 or more. The highest score I could find was 9-0, followed by two 8-0 games. I'm thinking these teams understand when to call off the dogs / work on other skills / or maybe they just understand karma. Lessons are learned from hard fought victories and defeats, not humilating or being humiated.

I think most of the traditional power houses don't need to beat the mess out of teams. They use their subs and work with their younger players in game situations. These schools have good soccer programs, not just the occasional strong team. Some of the scores have been horrible this year. What makes it worse is when you see the box scores and find out that the main starters, ODP and top players are scoring 3,4,5 goals even when they are the 8th, 9th, 10th, and even 11th goals for their team in an 11-0 romp. It is just stat building and the better schools and the better coaches don't play in that fashion.

You should be able to stop a team from scoring 10 goals in a game because that is your profession and what you are getting paid to do. But this is youth soccer, where you are teaching not only the game, but how to play it with respect to the game and your opponent.

I wouldn't go so far as to say this is our profession, and what we get paid to do...

This is a passion, and what we love to do. The sup's that most of us get barley cover our cell phone bills or car insurance for a year, let alone a season. I have 24 boys, and getting up by 3 gets my starters a break. But it is hard to not score sometimes. Even with restrictions. Sometimes keepers mis-judge balls. There are tons of own goals. I just say, play with class, and the other team will know it. I have a a physically challenged player who has been with me 3 yrs. Last year we were up 5-0 with Waverly Central, when the other team captain told my captain that they were going to let him score when he came in. That is class. Last girls season, the keeper from the #10 team in our district won keeper of the year. Yeah, I know, there was probably one that deserved it more, but she did have class, and kept putting on those gloves. That is class. We have had many games this year that were pretty wide spreads, but all of us coaches around here are friends. We know that next year, or maybe 2 years from now, it is going to be the other way around. It is just the way it is.

I love this game! And I love coaching and teaching it.

PPssssttttt! Hey, Ihavenofriendzz!!

As we close the season and we tire of the Boys boards, I just wanted to give you one last thing to digest for the summer. Ya know, if your "boy" has any desire to play at the next level, it would be a shame if a college coach took a minute to look over his career only to see that his team was never challenged. Ya may find this difficult to accept, but a record on two goal wins actually looks more impressive than a sheet of blowouts. You see, sometimes winning the game doesn't mean how many goals you can score. There is a much bigger game being played.

Who knows, soon you maybe Ihavenoscholarshipmoney ;)

random, but ok? I never said I wanted a team to only play scrubs on their schedule. Suppose the coach is educated in the strengths of teams in the kids area and see they beat a CAK or Bearden or Brentwood or Christian Brothers by 8 or 9 instead of 1. He may be impressed. If all a coach is looking at is the the scores of games, he isn't doing a good job recruiting. I never disagreed that there was more to a game than the score.

come on bigG, he can stir it all he wants... It's not going to make a difference. Everyone knows where they stand in this debate. No one will change their mind. It's all in good fun? I do know I love to argue so at least it was finally something to do on here. It has been a bit dead, imo, since the playoffs started.

I'm with ya, friendzz. Cane's knows me pretty well. Gotta give him a hard time, too.

CoachMike,

I totally agree with you. You can not help it if the other team makes mistakes that allow goals and the score gets pushed up. We are barely meeting bills on my coaching salary, so I agree with the pay issue as well. None of us are getting rich in the states coaching soccer, so we have to love it, right? :lol:.