Taunting-Red Card?

backintheday

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Witnessed player score and get redcarded for taunting immediately after the goal. An opposing player then clapped because the player was redcarded and was also redcarded from the game. Just trying to get clarification if taunting/responding is, in fact, punishable by the redcard. Thanks for your help!

No its not. Taunting is a yellow card.

Actually, yes, it is a red card offense. Section 8, Article 3 of the NFHS rule book states "A player, coach, or bench personnel SHALL BE DISQUALIFIED (RED CARD) for b. "taunting - use of word or act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual." Then there is a NOTE that says "The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances..." I was not at this game and don't know the actual circumstances, but it seems feasible that the ref did the right thing.

Some red cards are 1 game (intentional hand ball in a goal scoring attempt). Soft red is no suspension.

The "logic" behind the 2 game suspension, is that the TSSAA wanted the same "penalty" across the board for all sports. Since football only plays once a week, they wanted a penalty that would be equal for all sports. They surmised that soccer plays an average of 2 games a week, so if you get kicked out of a game, you will miss a "weeks" worth of games (football missing one, soccer missing 2).

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

So if I am interpreting the rule correctly (and I'm fairly sure that I am), if a player makes a racist comment or insult on the field they should be ejected? I really wish refs enforced this rule because insults of this nature are ignorant and inexcusable. Over the course of this season I have heard far too many (majority of the games this year) racist remarks from not only players, but also from some very prominent coaches. As the adults in the situation, it is the officials' and coaches' responsiblity to swiftly curtail and correct this problem.

Often as sideline spectators we view yellow and red cards as harsh. We had a game recently where the first yellow card was given to our opponents player in the first minute on a seemingly tame challenge. After talking to our players after the game we learned that the "tame" challenge was highlighted with some choice words (which us spectators could not hear) and a discreet elbow to the ribs (which we could not see).

Also there is often a cumulative effect that referees employ. In the same game another of the opponents players was red carded post game. When questioned our players shaking hands said the ref told the player that his attitude, language and dirty play had existed through the game (the player had already received an earlier yellow card). Their team disliked the late red and our side wondered why he hadn't been ejected earlier.

That being said, I don't know the complete scenario in the game cited here, but I do know that trying to get in the mind of referee's interpetations will drive you crazy and we don't always know what is going on in the middle of the pitch!