So, is it a goal???

BigG

IMO, it's on the field of play, so if play wasn't stopped because of it, then it should automatically become part of the field of play. Therefore, tis a goal. In baseball when a player hits a fly ball that hits a bird, they don't take the hit away do they? I know it doesn't happen often, but the once or twice it has, I don't believe they said "sorry, redo." Same with The Rays baseball stadium, of course their situation is weird, because seems like, sometimes hitting the roof means dead ball, try again, other times, it counts? "A batted ball that hits a catwalk, lights or suspended objects in fair territory shall be judged fair of foul in relation to the striking point on the ground or where it is touched by the fielder. If the ball hits the catwalk, lights or suspended objects in fair territory and lands in the field in fair territory or is touched by a fielder in fair territory, it shall be judged a fair ball. If the ball strikes the catwalk, lights or suspended objects in fair territory and is caught by a fielder in fair or foul territory, then the batter is out and the base runners run at their own risk." ....

obviously baseball and soccer are different, but like I said. the object was in fair play, so I think it should become part of the field of play.

edit: few more random rules for Tropicana Field..

"A batted ball that hits the catwalk, lights or suspended objects and remains on or in the catwalk, lights or suspended objects in foul territory is a foul ball and it shall be called a strike.

A batted ball that hits the catwalk, lights or suspended objects and remains on or in the catwalk, lights or suspended objects in fair territory is a fair ball and it shall be called a double.

A batted ball that hits either of the lower two catwalks, lights or suspended objects in fair territory is a home run."

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ballpark/ground_rules.jsp

Catholic-West had an interesting "is it a goal?" situation last night. On one of West's long throw-in attempts, the ball went into the goal. The officials talked it over briefly and ruled that no one on either team touched the ball and so there was no goal. I'm biased, but it appeared to me that it was the correct call. Interesting situation, regardless.

Catholic-West had an interesting "is it a goal?" situation last night. On one of West's long throw-in attempts, the ball went into the goal. The officials talked it over briefly and ruled that no one on either team touched the ball and so there was no goal. I'm biased, but it appeared to me that it was the correct call. Interesting situation, regardless.

If no one from either team touched it, that was the right call. What a threat that is, though, to put a thrown in that far back post!

When I say it appeared to be the correct call, I meant that it appeared to me that the ball didn't actually touch any of the players. Obviously, West disputed this. It certainly was close, as you would expect with 16 or so players crowded into the box for what was essentially a free kick.