Anderson County High Volleyball

TheEdge2010

Coach Wade wanted to be a "part-time" head coach. A parent complained to her and Mr Cantrell about an assistant who was in charge of the off-season program. Coach Wade kicked the kid off the team because of her Parents' complaining. The player didn't do anything wrong, the parents did. Before the kid was reinstated the parents met with principal and agreed to quit fussing about the assistant coach. Mr. Cantrell was in agreement with this decision. He told the kid that her parents complaining and her being kicked off the team was not her fault. The parents told Coach Wade themselves they wouldn't complain anymore. Coach Wade still did not want to reinstate the player and she resigned. Moral of the story- don't punish a kid for their parents actions. If the kid is doing something wrong then you deal with the kid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story is parents have no business being involved in certain type of decisions. It sounds like these parents cost this school a great coach. Society has let sports get out of control. Parents should quit trying to live their lives through their children.

The "buzz" through the Knoxville club teams is that every high school and club coach in town wants this job. Several good jobs including Farragut; Oak Ridge; CAK and Webb all came open this season. They pale in comparison to the Anderson County job, which is the volleyball job to have. The suspicion is that if the school does not get who they want they won't make a quick decision. According to the paper Coach Cantrell will manage the team until Coach Wade's replacement can be found. It wouldn't surprise me that they might even wait until next season unless they get who they want in the next few weeks. It also wouldn't surprise me if they make a hire in the next few days given the unprecedented interest.

AC is loaded with size and talent, young talent. Next year will be great.

And thats the K@ruth :roflol:

"oskie" what dream world are u in? First of all Coach Wade didn't want to be a part time coach, if she is having a baby in June it would be almost impossible to be at every practice, workout and match with such a young baby. Ever hear of the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) The Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) allows ”eligible” employees to take off up to 12 work weeks in any 12 month period for the birth or adoption of a child, to care for a family member, or if the employee themselves has serious health condition.

An “eligible” employee is an employee who has been employed by the employer for a least 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours. The 12 months do not need to be consecutive. You are only an “eligible” employee if your employer employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles of the worksite.

FMLA can be taken on an intermittent basis allowing the employee to work on a less than full-time schedule.

The employee is entitled to have their benefits maintained, but they must continue to pay their portion during the leave. The employee also has the right to return to the same or equivalent position, pay, and benefits at the conclusion of their leave.

Second of all I heard that the principal supported her decision 100%, then changed his mind after getting heat from a local politician.

Last but not least I believe I read an article in the knox news sent. when she was hired that she won her first state championship in NC when she was 24-25 years old, won another one as a player, and played somewhere in college, which in my mind puts her in class with few other people. She obviously knows what it takes to win, and anyone knows that a good team has to be a tight knit group of people. Unfortunately for the kids, parents make serious mistakes, when parents can't support the decisions of the coach, that are for the betterment of the program and the kids, then the parents have to be removed, and its hard to remove parents but keep the player. Playing sports used to be a great tool for learning/teaching life lessons. What are some of these parents going to do, follow these girls to college and on into their careers and tell their college coaches and bosses what to do, who to hire, who to play, who to give a bonus to? Their college coaches and bosses would simply fire or cut the player whose parents are the problem and concentrate on those that aren't problems. People always say that sports build character, thats wrong. People should say sports don't build character it reveals it.

On a positive note one programs loss is another programs gain.

Sounds like oskie needs to head over to the football boards where his name belongs.

I coached for a long time. During that time I took "hits" from a lot of parents in the form of late night phone calls and angry confrontations after practices and games. Never once during that time did I or one of the coaches I worked with take out their frustrations with an overly demanding or ugly parent on the player. If you are a coach you learn to deal with it, you have to have thick skin. You hurt my feelings by asking me to not be on the volleyball board. I thought volleyball people were nice.

Oskie, it sounds like you were a do what the start players' parent wants type coach!

If the parents becomes so problematic that it destroys the team how can you not ask them to go?

How is it good for the player to stay?

I agree with the other posters who think this was a way out of control parent. Coach Wade was a former player of our coach, and the two remained close. She is a fantastic coach, very mature, and classy.

Orcat,

If you remember, last season at the Oak Ridge/AC volleyball match in Oak Ridge a parent from AC came out of the stands got in the face of the referee. Then confronted and yelled at both of them, then was ejected.

same :shock:

That answers ALOT of questions. That was during the District Tournament. The TSSAA had to get involved. This guy left the stands and came down on the floor to scream at the up and down official. Our understanding was that the head official reviewed the incident and informed the school that they had to control this parent or AC would forfeit any further matches in which he interfered with game play.

Oskie, how do you condone that behavior?

You don't condone bad behavior on the part of parents or players. I think it is unfair to punish a kid for their parents behavior. You are correct that coaches not parents run the team. Unhappy parents who have complaints about playing time, position played, practices should be told, "I'm sorry but those are my decisions". If the parent is persistant then you say, "if you are unhappy then take her home". Leave the leaving up to the kid and parent. Give them the choice.

The part in the newspaper about the coach leaving because of her having a baby is bull. The AD don't have a clue. The story I have heard is a little different regarding the resignation of Coach Wade. While it is true that she and her husband are expecting their first child, this is not the reason for her resignation. I was told it was from lack of support by the administration specifically the principal. He was bullied by someone in authority into reinstating a player that the coach had released a few days prior, due to some ongoing parent problems. Too bad the principal doesn't have the same courage and moral fiber as the coach. Coach Wade will be sorely missed as a fierce competitor in this district. Scuttle Butt is she has had some calls about coaching at other programs in the area.

small vol, you don't want the ac ad to come on here and smoke you. Don't hide behind the message board, come by the school and visit the admin if you have something to say. He is at work everyday, never misses. He would love to talk to you if you are interested in the job, otherwise, I would suggest you keep your mouth shut. "Lack of support", what a joke statement from a coward who hides on a message board, ask any coach about their support from admin at AC. You are the one without courage, hiding on the board.

I dont think the principle wants to talk to anyone anymore. This is another way that the kids now run our schools. Coaches no longer have any authority to manage their programs. Also I heard a couple of county officials got involved dont worry you will hear the peoples voice in the next elections. Good luck to Coach Wade someday the principles decision will haunt him!

Edge. Call the Principal. He'll tell the truth plain and simple. Quit speculating, go to the source. He'll talk to anyone about anything and tell you straight up what he's thinking. I'm thinking you know that and won't like what you'll hear. You just want to vent.