McCallie's T.J. Kemp Lacrosse All-American Game Choice

bbb

McCallie lacrosse All-American T.J. Kemp has received the ultimate complement to summarize his stellar prep career.

The senior midfielder has been selected as an Under Armour High School All-American and is one of 44 high school seniors who will play in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Classic on Saturday, July 3 at Towson (Md.) University’s Johnny Unitas Stadium.

The north-south all-star game – 22 seniors on each roster - will be aired live on ESPNU at 8 p.m. EDT. The All-Americans are selected by a panel of lacrosse experts at Inside Lacrosse Magazine.

Under Armour, Inc. and Corrigan Sports Enterprises released the names of the 2010 All-Americans earlier today.

Kemp is the first player from Tennessee to be selected in the five-year history of the game. One of his teammates in the game will be Joe Meurer of McDonogh School (Towson, Md.). Kemp led McCallie to a 9-8 double overtime win against McDonogh in March in a game played at Duke University.

“This is a great honor for T.J. to play in this game which is lacrosse’s version of the McDonald’s High School All-Star game for basketball All-Americans,’’ said McCallie lacrosse coach Troy Kemp.

A three-year starter for the Blue Tornado, Kemp’s career statistics are impressive; 74 goals, 31 assists and 160 face-offs won (65%).

The two-time All-American and two-time first team all-state player led McCallie to back-to-back state championships the past two years.

“It is an honor to be selected to play in this prestigious all-star game and have the opportunity to play in a nationally televised event that represents the pinnacle of high school lacrosse,’’ said T.J. who is a National Achievement semi-finalist and a National Merit Commended Scholar. “I am excited to represent my family, my school and my region while competing with the best lacrosse players from around the country. It is awesome that the event will also feature seven of my Carolina teammates.

Kemp will attend the University of North Carolina in the fall on a lacrosse scholarship.

“T.J.’s selection to the Under Armour team is like a dream come true,’’ said coach Kemp.

“I am proud, excited and relieved.

“T.J. is very talented, but it is hard to be objective when you are coaching your own son. I am glad others recognized his play and potential to contribute at the next level. He will now have the chance to represent hundreds of young men who have been a part of the McCallie lacrosse tradition. Players and coaches in Tennessee and around the Southeast are thrilled as well.

T.J. Kemp

Two-time All-American (2009, 2010) … first team all-state (2009, 2010) …

2010 – led McCallie to state title … 28 goals in 16 games (15-1), 16 assists, 98 face-offs won (67%) … 2009 – led McCallie to state title … 2008 – starter as a sophomore … led McCallie to state runner-up finish ... second team all-state … career stats: 74 goals, 31 assists, 160 face-offs won (65%).

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com