Who will beat BA next year?

footballfan1111

Hopefully that was a clumsy attempt at being facetious.

It is my impression (i'm not trying to be argumentative) that once a team decides not to run up the score on you, both sides give reps to the younger kids. i know Kingsbury didnt have enough people to go 3rd string, but they could have gone to the 2nd string. Instead they tried to beat up on our younger guys. Not only that but actually talk junk to them on the feild. the first string was asking to go in, to remind them of the first half

-and BAVol- i do not know how it seemed, but trust me, that was not the situation. The coaching staff didnt have time to go to chili's do to the fact they left the facility close to midnight after reviewing the film for the team film session at 9 a.m Saturday morning

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my impression (i'm not trying to be argumentative) that once a team decides not to run up the score on you, both sides give reps to the younger kids. i know Kingsbury didnt have enough people to go 3rd string, but they could have gone to the 2nd string. Instead they tried to beat up on our younger guys. Not only that but actually talk junk to them on the feild. the first string was asking to go in, to remind them of the first half

-and BAVol- i do not know how it seemed, but trust me, that was not the situation. The coaching staff didnt have time to go to chili's do to the fact they left the facility close to midnight after reviewing the film for the team film session at 9 a.m Saturday morning

So are you saying that the Brentwood Academy Eagles would quit trying to win a game if the other team pulled its starters?

Bringing in the 2nd string is simply an act of mercy, ba could have easily won 80-0 but out of respect they pulled the first string to slow down the scoring and to get the 2nd string game reps they usually could not get. However kingsbury did have to right to keep in their starters and they used that right. BA still scored with the 2nd string and then put in the bottom of the depth chart. At that point kingsbury should have understood our intent and put their backups in. They didn't and that's their decision.

Overall I thought BA's 1st and 2nd strings looked pretty good, especially the defense.

fan6, you are correct, I did a poor job of communicating. Your scrutiny of my post reminds me of a MBA fan/graduate.

Ah doct, you gotta admit it was kind of funny . . . you didn't need to go all "MBA" on me . . . ! It's not like I busted you spelling or grammer. :D

• 3 weeks later...

BA, Baylor, and Briarcrest are looking better every week.

Big games still to come are BA/EHS, BA/MBA, BA/Baylor - BC/CBHS, BC/MUS, MUS/CBHS - Baylor/EHS.

Should be a interesting October.

Any mid-season observations?

BA looks to be the skunk at the garden party. There seems to be very little difference between Ensworth, Baylor, and MBA, though if Ensworth stops shooting themselves in the foot, they look to have better athletes than Baylor or MBA. I listed to McCallie-Ensworth, and the game was much tighter than the score indicated. They seem to pass well, but couldn't capitalize on EHS' mistakes to the extent that MBA did. MBA-McCallie will be worth the cost of admission: if McCallie wins a close one, put them into that group as well (probably in MBA's slot).

I watched BGA-Ryan as well. I'm hoping the result was a case of Ryan simply having a poor team, and they made BGA look good. BGA had an incredibly effective passing attack, and pretty decent run game as well. again though, I'm not sure how to rate the level of competition in that one.

I have no idea about the Memphis schools, but MUS always reminds me of MBA interms of character. Somebody else may get the big tropht this year, but they'll have to pry it away from MUS.

BA looks to be the skunk at the garden party. There seems to be very little difference between Ensworth, Baylor, and MBA, though if Ensworth stops shooting themselves in the foot, they look to have better athletes than Baylor or MBA. I listed to McCallie-Ensworth, and the game was much tighter than the score indicated. They seem to pass well, but couldn't capitalize on EHS' mistakes to the extent that MBA did. MBA-McCallie will be worth the cost of admission: if McCallie wins a close one, put them into that group as well (probably in MBA's slot).

I watched BGA-Ryan as well. I'm hoping the result was a case of Ryan simply having a poor team, and they made BGA look good. BGA had an incredibly effective passing attack, and pretty decent run game as well. again though, I'm not sure how to rate the level of competition in that one.

I have no idea about the Memphis schools, but MUS always reminds me of MBA interms of character. Somebody else may get the big tropht this year, but they'll have to pry it away from MUS.

MUS is very down. They even might finish behind CBHS and Briarcrest in the West. Offense is fair to good but inconsistent. Passing game is better than running, which is not very good, despite having a huge middle line. Defense is porous, fair at best. But they have heart. Down 25-0 against Olive Branch in the 3rd quarter, and having given up a 39 yd TD pass on the last play of the first half, they rallied to 25-22 and had a 1st down on the 14 with about a minute to go. RB VanHook went 4 yards down the right sideline but slipped and fell making a cutback left that would have allowed him to run in for the TD. On second down, an open receiver in the end zone dropped the ball. On third down, two MUS receivers in the end zone both went for the ball and one knocked the ball loose from the other. With 4th and 6 at the 10, MUS opted for a winning TD try rather than a tying FG. OB's star DB Jalen Collins deflected the pass out of the end zone. MUS lost 4 fumbles all last season. Last night they lost 2 inside the 5. Unless they improve dramatically, don't hear the Owls making a hoot this year.

After watching my second BA game, OB then PJP, I don't see anyone beating them. The QB is better than I thought and they just have too many playmakers. I don't know what coach Potter has changed this year, but this team is much more intense than what I have witnessed over the past few years. He has my vote for coach of the year.

McCallie used a last second touchdown to beat McMinn, and lost to Tyner. I will be shocked if they lose by less than 2 touchdowns to MBA