AAA State Tournament

mjuhb

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Centennial. Farragut you have nothing to be ashamed of, you still had a great season.

OK Bearden, it is up to you to bring the trophy back to East TN. Good luck Bulldogs!

Sorry, coach, but that ain't the way it works. This isn't the World Series or NBA playoffs. You had your chance and came up short.

We hit their players over and over and over with our shots,” Farragut Coach Wallie Culbreth said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t put the ball in the net and their keeper made some great saves. Like my son said, we play that game 10 times and they win one time. We made one mistake.”

I called Farragut Losing 2 weeks ago so im not surpised...its a shame they couldnt win out and finish possibly the greastest season in TN HS history. Thats how soccer goes tho..like the world cup slogan "one game changes everything"...kinda bummed out East TN wont hold the title tho :roflol: ...good luck to both hendersonville and Centential in the finals.

Centennial & Hendersonville. Hmm, I guess when it comes down to the knock out rounds; any team at any time. I don't seem to recall if either team has met before. Anyone?

Both are physical and emotions tend to run high with both teams, so the verbal game could get out of hand as well. Centennial will come out with the win.

The two teams have met earlier in the year in a scrimmage. If I am not mistaken, Hendersonville won the scrimmage 2-0. I cannot wait for this game on friday! Go Commandos!!

Hendersonville - 1

Centennial - 0

Yesterday was the first time that I saw Farragut play this year and I wasn't impressed at all. Nothing seperated them from any other of the good teams that I have seen this year. Bearden couldn't stand up to the physical Hendersonville team. Hendersonville has alot of weapons and is very deep. Just like travel soccer the state champion will be from Middle Tenneessee. I said at the first of the year that I thought East Tn. soccer was very overrated! I wish Sandy the best on Fri night but HHS this is your time!!

I called Farragut Losing 2 weeks ago so im not surpised...its a shame they couldnt win out and finish possibly the greastest season in TN HS history. Thats how soccer goes tho..like the world cup slogan "one game changes everything"...kinda bummed out East TN wont hold the title tho :roflol: ...good luck to both hendersonville and Centential in the finals.

I'm not sure you can say it would have been the 'greatest season in TN HS history'---Brentwood went 24-0, won State AAA and was number one on Fab Fifty in 2008. Had Farragut won, it would have been the same. Centennial has been overlooked by many all year---I heard a guy working the game last night asking where they were located. The answer: District 11AAA in Williamson County--MIDDLE TENNESSEE

Greatest season in TN HS history?...that would be a good thread. Brentwood in '08 would be up there...but in my opinion I don't think any team comes close to CBHS from '90-'92 (Ross Paule, Chris Michner (sp?), Talley) they were incredible won state three years in a row...

Looks like Coach Sandy and the Centennial boys watched a lot of Inter Milan videos...Congrats - wouldn't be surprised to see them win it all.

Gonna stick with my pick though - Hendersonville (2-0)

Yesterday was the first time that I saw Farragut play this year and I wasn't impressed at all. Nothing seperated them from any other of the good teams that I have seen this year. Bearden couldn't stand up to the physical Hendersonville team. Hendersonville has alot of weapons and is very deep. Just like travel soccer the state champion will be from Middle Tenneessee. I said at the first of the year that I thought East Tn. soccer was very overrated! I wish Sandy the best on Fri night but HHS this is your time!!

That's unfortunate that you didn't get to see them play more. centennial's coach recognized how impressive they were and adjusted accordingly (see Tennessean article). It is frustrating playing against a team that packs it in. But, if that is what you are faced with, then you must adjust accordingly and devise a way to break them down. Farragut was not able to figure it out.

Farragut was probably the best player for player team in the tournament (even with 4 starters out)...Centennial executed a great game plan and their keeper is outstanding.

Farragut's gameplan vs top teams all year was to put service into the 18 and crash the goal. I am very surprised teams didnt park the bus in front of goal more often against them. Parking the bus is very common in higher levels of soccer and I respect the coach's decision to play this way. The players played it right, and they came up big. I am surprised to hear Farragut couldnt crack the code, but they never really game up against that style this year so I am assuming they were quite baffled as how to penetrate the back line. Cody would of definitely helped out their cause, such a shame him being out and all. I guess thats where experience comes in, I hope to see great things from him at Farragut in the future, great player.

Congrats to Centennial and Farragut on a great year.

p.s.- I have to comment on this "greatest TN HS soccer season ever" though. First off, I do not think this Farragut team is as good as say the Farragut/Bearden teams of 2000-2005 with all their accolades etc., but I do have to say that STAT wise it might of been the greatest TN HS soccer season ever if they had pulled it off. How many goals did Farragut let in this year? Like 5 or something? With 80+ goals? That is why it would of been a greater season. With all this said though, it didnt happen, so no use talking about it anymore.

Farragut's gameplan vs top teams all year was to put service into the 18 and crash the goal. I am very surprised teams didnt park the bus in front of goal more often against them. Parking the bus is very common in higher levels of soccer and I respect the coach's decision to play this way. The players played it right, and they came up big. I am surprised to hear Farragut couldnt crack the code, but they never really game up against that style this year so I am assuming they were quite baffled as how to penetrate the back line. Cody would of definitely helped out their cause, such a shame him being out and all. I guess thats where experience comes in, I hope to see great things from him at Farragut in the future, great player.

p.s.- I have to comment on this "greatest TN HS soccer season ever" though. First off, I do not think this Farragut team is as good as say the Farragut/Bearden teams of 2000-2005 with all their accolades etc., but I do have to say that STAT wise it might of been the greatest TN HS soccer season ever if they had pulled it off. How many goals did Farragut let in this year? Like 5 or something? With 80+ goals? That is why it would of been a greater season. With all this said though, it didnt happen, so no use talking about it anymore.

Great post. Very well said on all points. You definitely pointed out some key things here.

Pinball,

Good to see you on the boards. As always, you have some good insight, yet I think a lot of people might be overlooking or rather inadvertently dancing around the biggest factor in this game: Centennial's keeper. I respect Centenial's plan to keep numbers behind the ball, or as you put it, "park the bus in front of the goal." After all, as Siegel pointed out, Inter was crowned kings of Europe by implementing this same tactical plan. However, I disagree with you that Centennial's coach was the first to give this tactical strategy a go against the Admirals. Farragut has seen numerous teams excersise this tactical plan, and, like you said, they continued to play the ball into the 18 and have at times DRILLED teams that try to play a bunker and counter game.

In essence, I don't think that Centennial's coach finally figured out a way to crack Farragut; instead, I think he realized that his best shot was to roll the dice and take his chances with a bunkering strategy and rely on the best keeper in the state. After all, who is to say that this game wouldn't have been at least 4-1 had Centennial fielded someone between the pipes who didn't appear to be superhuman. Now, to anyone who says that Farragut wasn't that good in the first place...that's just ridiculous. Farragut's last two seasons speak volumes about their coaching staff, their senior class and the program as a whole. Unfortunately for Farragut, soccer is a cruel game and one of the few sports where an inferior side stands an honest chance against a powerhouse. This is not to take anything away from Centennial's victory at all. Hats off to both teams. Good luck to Hville and Centennial in the finals.