TSSAA state pentathlon/decathlon

crawdad

While your answer is correct for the team standings, I think he means how the multi-event standings are computed from the performances in the individual events. A discussion of how they came about is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon_scoring_tables

and the actual formulæ and tables at http://www.icosathlon.net/rul.htm (note that the commas in their tables there are really decimal points).

(Reference to that site instead of IAAF because the IAAF does not have a table for the triple jump--world-class decathlons have the javelin throw instead. Other differences from the international style are some changes to the order of events, to make it easier to hold three classes and possibly two genders on one day, and of course the somewhat smaller high school implements.)

While your answer is correct for the team standings, I think he means how the multi-event standings are computed from the performances in the individual events. A discussion of how they came about is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon_scoring_tables

and the actual formulæ and tables at http://www.icosathlon.net/rul.htm (note that the commas in their tables there are really decimal points).

(Reference to that site instead of IAAF because the IAAF does not have a table for the triple jump--world-class decathlons have the javelin throw instead. Other differences from the international style are some changes to the order of events, to make it easier to hold three classes and possibly two genders on one day, and of course the somewhat smaller high school implements.)

Thank you so much for the links, silverpie. I find this a fascinating subject and regard it as our most thorough way to evaluate the "true and total athlete". I think it interesting to speculate on scores that a "in-the-prime" Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders type athlete might produce.

I doubt many of our casual sports fans understand the level of training and hours of practice it takes to become proficient at the varied jumps,vaults,throws and running distances. I have great respect for our high school athletes competing in these events and will continue to follow it each year. it really helps to understand the scoring rationale. :roflol: