What are your thoughts on officiating this weekend?

Canesoverhere

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canes,

Several big mistakes in recent games obviously.

My first reaction is that the WC needs to be "Americanized" by instituting US rules for electronic review.

But on second thought, we have to try think about the other countries who may not feel the same way about instituting these changes.

We (in the US) may be extremely indignant about the injustice associated with these obvious errors, but the rest of the world may be more comfortable living with injustice.

Add to this possible cultural issue the issue of the long, unchanging history of soccer around the world, and you can start to understand the massive momentum that needs to be overcome.

Having said all this, a reasonable first step that would be acceptable to anyone (I would think) is using electronic means to verify a goal.

I am fairly sure that England and Mexico are on the "Review" side of this.

As always, FIFA takes an immediate position of ignoring the facts...then in classic fashion does a 180 24 hours later.

Add this to a long list of reasons why Soccer doesn't have the interest in the US. Incompetent people whose opinions change the outcome of the game.

I had to laugh...FIFA shared that replay would affect the "flow" of the game. Yea, and the 35 minutes of malingering by the Ghana players was considered acceptable?

Officiating is not the centerpiece of soccer, nor should it be. Americans love to blame an imperfect, subjective process that has been long standing. I believe we should take steps to elevate our national play. When a country 1/100th the size of ours can consistently beat us on the world stage, it would appear that would be our priority. The best women in the world play for the US, in the US. Why can't the men follow suit? Americans won't get it, and this thread shows, they never will.

Listening to the game yesterday while driving. it seemed that's all the commentators wanted to discuss.

All of these athletes have trained to be the at the top of their game and peaked at the best of their possible condition. When they score a goal it shouldn't be stripped away from them. That shouldn't matter whether they are wearing Red White & Blue or any other color combination.

If these are the absolutely best officials that FIFA chose....we have some serious problems.

Socref1 face it. We all think that the pictures of our own children in each of our wallets are beautiful. Reality is...they are not.

We need to start taking some steps to prevent these situations from taking place.

Listening to the game yesterday while driving. it seemed that's all the commentators wanted to discuss.

All of these athletes have trained to be the at the top of their game and peaked at the best of their possible condition. When they score a goal it shouldn't be stripped away from them. That shouldn't matter whether they are wearing Red White & Blue or any other color combination.

If these are the absolutely best officials that FIFA chose....we have some serious problems.

Socref1 face it. We all think that the pictures of our own children in each of our wallets are beautiful. Reality is...they are not.

We need to start taking some steps to prevent these situations from taking place.

Canes, if I can be so informal

One of the "experiments" that UEFA used in the Europa League (formerly the UEFA Cup) was the use of goal line officials in addition to the normal 3 man crew. Why FIFA did not take this into the world cup is beyond me. It does appear that they understood the issue of missed goals long before the world cup got here. It would be interesting to see what they learned internally from the use of goal line officials.

There does appear to be a middle ground between video replay and totally missing a call.

Theses articles are from 2009;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... -officials

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... t-referees

The goal line referees were inaccurate as well, as such, they were not implemented. Based on the discussion and review of all the calls this evening on ESPN, it appears they will implement video review or a similar technology on goals, likely similar to ice hockey.

The correction of off-sides appears to much further in the future despite the fact that the technology is there to review it likely faster than the goal line. I am gathering this is spare additional embarrassment to the linesman. The review of the Teves goal shows the linesman is in no position to make the call and the center looks to the linesman for the call. If the linesman cant keep pace with the last man, they need to replace him...and it looks like those calling that match will not advance.

The segment also looked at the Kaka Red Card which was ludicrous. No contact on Kaka's part, total fabrication of an injury and the center pulls a second yellow and then a red without any eye contact of what took place. The conversation continued that after the match the player who fabricated the call should receive significant fines as well as his team. There is very little to deter players from this activity and the group felt it is influencing the young players of soccer to embellish rather than man-up.

I guess it was the referee's fault for Ghana missing the PK at the end of extra time. Get a life Canes.

I actually have one, I was working and couldn't catch the match. But If it is anything like the previous evening, it will be sure to be on the highlights and dominate the conversation.

Apparently someone values the opinion of the 4 commentators last night on ESPN as they were on for hours and were paid an awful lot to provide the same critique on the officiating.

And you get it for just $12!!! Hah! You're getting a bargain!!

Honestly. What reform do you see coming out of all this?

I actually have one, I was working and couldn't catch the match. But If it is anything like the previous evening, it will be sure to be on the highlights and dominate the conversation.

Apparently someone values the opinion of the 4 commentators last night on ESPN as they were on for hours and were paid an awful lot to provide the same critique on the officiating.

And you get it for just $12!!! Hah! You're getting a bargain!!

Honestly. What reform do you see coming out of all this?

Soccer does not need reform. Get over it Canes.

The Laws of the Game are intended to provide that games should be played

with as little interference as possible, and in this view it is the duty of referees

to penalize only deliberate breaches of the Law. Constant whistling for trifling

and doubtful breaches produces bad feeling and loss of temper on the part of

the players and spoils the pleasure of spectators. (FIFA IBD V)

If FIFA wants to instill an instant replay, then there will be interference in the flow of the game, and soccer as the world knows it, will no longer exist. What will take its place is a sport bent on placating the whims of a public that wants zero defects, which is impossible. Zero defects in playing, as Ghana proves, is impossible. Zero defects in coaching, as all losing coaches show, is impossible. Zero defects in officiating, impossible. It is a no win situation that FIFA will fall to the trap of destroying the beautiful game for those that do not understand it.