Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate got inspired by the TC thread. The Pirates have played in many hard fought games and the best game to many may well be the one they felt a strong connection to. As for this old pirate.....recon OP will jest sit back and see what some others is a thinking first.

...2007, Tyner @ South Pitt, Rams driving the length of the field (SP leading by four points), with 6 seconds remaining Mckinney(SP) causes K. Johnson(Tyner) to fumble inside the 10-yard line to claim the 25-21 win. The Rams actually out gain SP in total yards 357 to 284 but only the scoreboard counts!!! That game is worthy as an all-time fantastic game!!!

No Butchie that state game from 2007 would be on the worst beatdown lists lol..Three games that stick out in my head are 1999 against Boyd in the playoffs...I remember Sam Picket got a HB toss and took it the distance but had it called back for waving goodbye at John David Blair when he went past him and then on the next play he took it to the house again. Number 2 was in 2004 against Jasper at Jasper...by far the hardest hit I have even seen in football Ben Blevins absolutly blindsided a Jasper guy (I think the poor guy is still laying on the ground) and we won like 54-0 or something like that...and 1994 state game against Lake County at Vandy I will not forget either....Honorable mention has to be games against Battle Ground Academy in the 90's.

I am like a couple of these fellars here....I have seen so many good ones it is hard to narrow them down to a few games. I would have to say there are three seasons that stick out in my mind...all resulting in state titles:

1.) 1994 - The only loss for this team was to the eventual state champions, Jasper Warriors. There were several good games during the season but the best was getting some revenge on Trousdale County in the last round of the playoffs. A big win over Lake County gave the Pirates their 2nd State Title

2.) 1999 - This senior dominated team was on a mission after the heartbreaking loss to non other than Trousdale County in the final game of 1998. Again, there were some great games in the regular season (Jasper, Courtland, Copper Basin, Boyd Buchanan) but again the best game was the win over TC to seal the state title dreams. Moore County ran into a buzz saw in the title game and the Pirates claimed their 3rd State Title.

3.) 2007 - This team was also on a mission with so much talent it was rediculous! Each game was taken seriously and these young men entered the playoffs staring at a very huge task to overcome. Many on CoachT did not think the Pirates could run the "Gauntlet" of Trousdale County, Friendship Christian, Gordonsville, and Hampton....but the Pirates proved all the doubters wrong and claimed a very big win over McKenzie in the state title game.

Been reading this board for awhile now and it seems this topic is worth a comment. All the above mentioned games were great. I was lucky enough to see several of them. My personal favorites have always been the wins over Jasper. The beat down in SP back in 98 or 99 was a great one and even though it was a loss, the 6-0 game in 94 was a classic. For you old school Pirates you have to mention the win in Jasper back around 78 or 79. Rained all night, winner went to the playoffs and the Pirates won on a trick play near the end of the game. Anyone remember the details of that one?

The answer to this one may surprise people. I would guess that Pirates are about 3 & 4 against Polk C.

All I know is that the Pirates use to scrimmage Polk twice a year all through the 80's so we are pretty familiar with them. Of course we scrimmaged them so much because the most famous Polk county football player of all time was the SP line coach. That being Dave Baxter.