Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

1 hour ago, rlh said:

How did it compare to the '69 Jasper game?

I will always be biased lol.....alot of things happened in that game...Jimmy was great in that game but our Defence in the 2nd half helped alot in that game too. I do remember the crowd lined around the field  and it was pretty hostile for both sides. I remember going in Stroups the following week after the game and Buford told me to pick out a pair of socks lol....( people in the know will get that). Jasper and Whitwell both could have won the STATE that year imo. 

As a spectator I've never seen a more exciting game as the 2017 game with Jasper. I have never been more proud  to be a Pirate. A friend of mine came down and he said he had never seen a  game with that much intensity.  Another game that has to be mentioned is the 64 game with Knox Powell. The catch that David Hudson made is still the best catch I've ever seen at any level. My old neighbor  Roger Allison  had a great game that night. RIP Roger.  Pirates have alot of history and I'm sure there were plenty others down the line like the 65 Jasper/SP game which sticks in my mind. 

20 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

My dad always claimed that the two best games he watched were the '69 Jasper game and the Civitan Bowl against Powell.

I know the 1980 SP/Jasper game at SP was packed out and loud.  Unfortunately SP came up short late in the game 7 - 6. 

19 hours ago, team69 said:

I will always be biased lol.....alot of things happened in that game...Jimmy was great in that game but our Defence in the 2nd half helped alot in that game too. I do remember the crowd lined around the field  and it was pretty hostile for both sides. I remember going in Stroups the following week after the game and Buford told me to pick out a pair of socks lol....( people in the know will get that). Jasper and Whitwell both could have won the STATE that year imo. 

As a spectator I've never seen a more exciting game as the 2017 game with Jasper. I have never been more proud  to be a Pirate. A friend of mine came down and he said he had never seen a  game with that much intensity.  Another game that has to be mentioned is the 64 game with Knox Powell. The catch that David Hudson made is still the best catch I've ever seen at any level. My old neighbor  Roger Allison  had a great game that night. RIP Roger.  Pirates have alot of history and I'm sure there were plenty others down the line like the 65 Jasper/SP game which sticks in my mind. 

I have seen some old film of SP - Whitwell games and Whitwell - Jasper games from the 60s and thinking how tough they were.