Good bye coach Powell

doorbell

10 members have voted

1. 1. If this was your school, would it be alright with you

• Yes
    • no
    • it's alright Girls play this sport.

I must have been living in a cave here lately, I was told by a friend that coach Powell has left FCS. 3 years ago I would have been jumping up and down with JOY. Over the years I have watched her coach she has done the school proud, sorry to see her leave. Then I hear they have replaced her with a baseball coach ??? go figure. One question for all of you FCS people!!! Would you be alright with a volleyball coach for you basketball coach? NO. Would you be all right with a softball coach as a football coach ? NO Would you be alright with someone that never has coach football as your new football coach ? another big NO. Then why is it alright to put someone as a head coach that has never coached softball of any kind??? Maybe because GIRLS are playing this game.

Edited by doorbell

I must have been living in a cave here lately, I was told by a friend that coach Powell has left FCS. 3 years ago I would have been jumping up and down with JOY. Over the years I have watched her coach she has done the school proud, sorry to see her leave. Then I hear they have replaced her with a baseball coach ??? go figure. One question for all of you FCS people!!! Would you be alright with a volleyball coach for you basketball coach? NO. Would you be all right with a softball coach as a football coach ? NO Would you be alright with someone that never has coach football as your new football coach ? another big NO. Then why is it alright to put someone as a head coach that has never coached softball of any kind??? Maybe because GIRLS are playing this game.

Why don't you go and coach the team since you know so much.

First let me make it clear that I nor my daughter attend or are affiliated with Friendship but its safe to say that whenever a coach leaves or is asked to leave, as the case may be, there is a reason. As far as a baseball coach coaching softball, there are some differences but many of the fundamentals are the same. Yes he may not be able to teach your pitchers anything but he can call pitches much the same. The swing is a bit different and the offenseive game alot more fast paced but he can adapt. Coaching is more than all that anyway. I'd take a good motivator who has an "honest" interest in what is best for the girls and their potention prospects. Most are only interested in "their" win/loss records vs. what is best for their "students". Too many schools are losing foccus!

Coach Powell is now at MJHS with Coach Pedigo.

Edited by coachcap

I agree with the doorbell on this one. It is not fair to the girls that work so hard to have to play under a coach who knows less about the sport than teenagers! FCS has a long history of making bad coaching changes/hires. From what i gather they have just stuck someone in there to coach and comply with title 9 and to heck with the girls. Its a complete insult to the team and school to not even conduct a coaching search for someone that has at the very least coached softball on some level. But as most people that are close to the situation know this is just how they operate up there. I have never met any of the coaches that will be coaching but do know a "yes man" when i see one. A yes man that will do whatever the athletic dept wants, will do whatever the board wants and will not question anything or anybody. And to the previous post saying that softball and baseball are the same except for pitching, you must be out of your mind! The coaching of a softball game and baseball game are night and day. Do they slap bunt in baseball? Do they bait and switch in baseball? Do they have a courtesy runner in baseball? Do they have the ability to steal bases like in baseball? These questions i'm sure the coaching staff now have never even heard of or know until now. Just hope they make a "Coaching Softball for Dummies" book for him to read. Coach Powell cared very much about those girls and trying to make them better women and christians. FCS was lucky to have her as long as they did. She went to school there and poured her heart into that program, to only be forced out and never given the support that she needed. Well they have what they want now, a mediocore program that can stay out of the way of baseball and football. Congrats!!!!

They also hired an asst coach who spent 4 years picthing at a D1 school. From what I hear the girls are very excited about the new staff.

Darci will be a great assistant coach and hopefully she will be able to teach the new head coach the differences betwenn softball and baseball.

So what you are saying is that the assistant coach has to teach the head coach!?!?!?! That is the most backwards logic i have ever heard in my life. Why not start with first graders teaching the teachers on how to teach. Or how about letting a nurse perform surgery on you? How bout a mall security guard investigate murders and thefts. I'm sure that she is a VERY capable coach...but isn't the point for the head coach by every defintion of the word to be the person at the HEAD of the team and the main coach. LOL love the way ppl on here can defend the worst causes and cases.

For some reason this school came weave them self into some tangled webs!!! My DD played at FCS awhile back, I want say how long ago, It is no secret I am not a fan of Coach Powell. I do not think she is a very good coach. She had the team in 06 and 07 to win it all but did not know how.I think it was time for her to leave. BUT. She did cared and love the girls she has coached. I do not know who the new coach is, and don't care. and that's a shame. The school Softball program has gone down hill ever since they FIRED Randy Sampson. FCS will never be back on top like they once was. When my DD played there the kids came to school to play on a winning team, It will not happen any more. I feel sorry the new coach, the parents at that school are total heck on the coach, They have a meeting with the AD every time there BABY is pulled out of the game. Then if they have GAVE to the school the AD will tell the coach to play them. IT IS A SHAME that the program has turned in to this.

They also hired an asst coach who spent 4 years picthing at a D1 school. From what I hear the girls are very excited about the new staff.

Now folks I remember when Darci was a pitchin for the "Big Man" and she did a good job, now I dont think people on here understand it aint her pitchin ability or knowing the game that she has to face, havin a head coach who has never coached a softball game himself cant be good for any youngin comin out of college. Between them they have ZERO experience of coachin high school softball.....hmmmm What can he teach her about softball please share! She has more problems to worry about than his lack of knowledge of the game she better worry

about the future of this program. Girls athletics has never been a high priory of this school. Now just go look at the baseball field and the football field, as well as the locker rooms for the boys sports compared to the girls, then go look at the softball field, soccer field you will see what I am a talkin about. Now their field is great compare to Boyd Cowpasture! The word in the park is that folks are a fleein the school rapidly and when that new school in Lebanon opens up you will see more a runnin away from FCS. Just listen to folks at the park sounds like this school has more problems than a youngin out of college can fix. Plus she has to always be concern about them parents cause when you pay you want your princess to play......now I aint sure but can only play 9 at a time and you got some parents who will expect their youngin to be playin should be a very interestin year. But the good thing is that they are in a very weak district, region and with any luck should be back at the "Boro". Below would be what Darci has done in college.....good luck you will need it! :flower:

2009: Named to the Atlantic Sun All-Academic Team … went 8-7 with a 2.06 ERA (33 ER/112.0IP) and tallied a career high four shutouts … limited the opposition to only four home runs in 112.0 IP … began the year with a 6-2 mark and a 1.75 ERA before being sidelined with an injury in her throwing arm.

2008: Named to the Atlantic Sun All-Academic List … made 24 appearances and 14 starts for the Lady Bucs in the circle … tossed 76.1 innings and totaled four wins on the season … opened the season with a five-hit shutout over Furman on Feb. 9 … struck out a season-high six batters in the win over Western Carolina on April 23.

2007: Appeared in 33 games, starting in 25 for the Bucs … started 23 games as a pitcher with a 10-14 record and a 3.48 ERA through 148.2 innings pitched … recorded 14 complete games, two shutouts and 66 strikeouts … her three saves put her in the top five in school history … had two hits driving in two runners and was a perfect 2-2 in stolen base attempts … received A-Sun All-Academic Honors.

High School: Coached by Jeff Breeden at Riverdale High School and played pitcher, infield and outfield positions … four-year letterwinner in softball and posted a 95-15 (.864) record in her final two seasons … named class 7AAA Pitcher of the Year … 2003 and 2005 All-County Team … 2005 7AAA MVP.

Personal: Daughter of Jim and Marie Gilbert … majoring in art … born May 22, 1988.

Edited by MrNoitAll

Maybe she can have a coach like Jeff Breeden to call upon when she needs too. Public and Private schools should just split anyway. I know there used to be a forum on here for that but its becoming harder for these private schools to compete. Plus if a kid is on a full ride for academics (which actually does happen) they can't even play sports. Isn't one of the main topics in schools these days that kids don't get enough exercise and child obesity is growing as fast as my waist line at an all you can eat dinner

So what you are saying is that the assistant coach has to teach the head coach!?!?!?! That is the most backwards logic i have ever heard in my life. Why not start with first graders teaching the teachers on how to teach. Or how about letting a nurse perform surgery on you? How bout a mall security guard investigate murders and thefts. I'm sure that she is a VERY capable coach...but isn't the point for the head coach by every defintion of the word to be the person at the HEAD of the team and the main coach. LOL love the way ppl on here can defend the worst causes and cases.

You guys are kidding right?

Do you even know what goes on out there?

Obviously you are close to this situation and likely even a friend of Ms. Powell as you have only 4 total posts on these forums. What I have seen in my years coaching baseball, softball and wrestling is that AD's have some influence but for the most part decisions are made based on the need of the school. Just going by what has been said here and knowing a few involved persons I'd make the assumption that the school needs and AP English teacher and someone with strong people skills to "communicate" with the parents. Keep in mind this is a private school where the parents are directly responsible for the funding and budget of the school, so it's only natural their concerns will be heard. Unlike public schools whereas the money is stolen from the tax paying constituents in the name of education and then spent and mismanaged on political pet projects, the parents concerns are ignored and swept under the bureaucratic rug. Friendship has to weigh all factors and do what's in the best interest of the school and the kids as a whole, that likely involves allot of prayer and consideration on the part of their administrators. It is highly likely that I could be way off base on the situation over there as I'm not close to it but what I do know is that the new coaches are more than qualified to step in. I too have also heard the players are happy. You guys are judging them based on emotion alone and not common sense. There are several active high school coaches that have no experience and many more who have a wealth of experience but no skill set to do the job. Friendship has at least put forth two that can and likely will step up to the plate, otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it. As a coach you must have the passion to do it as the pay check is a little on the short side…

As far as the comments about people fleeing FCS by Mr. KIA. That is happening in many private schools as people are loosing jobs. It's a fiscal decison... I'm sure people would stay for the moral enviroment and better education alone if they were able.

Edited by coachcap

• 2 weeks later...

And to the previous post saying that softball and baseball are the same except for pitching, you must be out of your mind!

A. The coaching of a softball game and baseball game are night and day.

B. Do they slap bunt in baseball?

C, Do they bait and switch in baseball?

D. Do they have a courtesy runner in baseball?

E, Do they have the ability to steal bases like in baseball?

F. These questions i'm sure the coaching staff now have never even heard of or know until now.

G, Just hope they make a "Coaching Softball for Dummies" book for him to read.

This whole post was enough to make my head explode, but the baseball/softball comparison necessitates a response since I can't find my roll of duct tape. I gave your questions letters to assist those following along at home. The one thing I have learned in 30+ years of coaching softball and baseball is that if one doesn't correct incorrect information and/or myths, that false knowledge will simply replicate and perpetuate. Given the information in your post, you may be too far gone, but other readers may benefit from the knowledge.

A. While it's not worth arguing, although baseball and softball are different sports, they certainly are not "night and day" or anything close. I don't know anybody who has successfully coached both who would tell you differently.

B. No they don't "slap bunt" in baseball. But "they" don't "slap bunt" in softball either. They slap [hit] in softball. They bunt in softball. But they don't "slap bunt." By the rules of the game, a "slap bunt" would be an oxymoron. Let me guess, you also think that the player positioned just behind home plate and in front of the umpire is the "hind-catcher" too, don't you? I digress. Just for the record, slapping originated in baseball and was adapted into fastpitch, and there are still slappers in baseball today. Ichiro slaps. Furcal slaps.

C. What the crap is "bait and switch?" That's an unethical and potentially illegal marketing ploy. Just think, my teams have been able to win all those championships over the years without even knowing what this phrase means, much less how to use it. Just for kicks, I texted 3 very successful and very experienced softball coaches to see if I was missing something. They hadn't heard of it either. We apparently don't have a copy of the book "Screwed up Softball Terminology: Incorrect, Obscure Phrases Used only by the Untrained." (See slap-bunt, hind-catcher, etc)

D. Do they have a courtesy runner in baseball? Sure they do. Many rule books governing travel teams specically allow for courtesy runners and have had the provision for years. I haven't coached travel baseball since 90s and we were using courtesy runners in 18U then. The NFHS baseball rulebook (that is the rulebook that governs high school play) has a provision (2-33-1) allowing courtesy runners to be used, and the majority of states do so.

E. Did you think stealing was illegal in fastpitch? Perhaps you mean the whole leading off thing. Ever watched 12U baseball where the smaller field with shorter basepaths are used? Depending upon the organization, the baseball runners can't leave the base until the ball crosses the plate or leaves the pitchers hand... just like softball. Where did you think softball got the rule? Using your logic, 12U baseball is night and day different than 13U baseball too and a coach moving from 12U to 13U would be completely unqualified to make the move.

F. If the coaching staff hasn't heard of these questions, they are in good company... right along with virtually every knowledgeable and experienced travel, college, and high school softball coach. Oh my gosh, how have we survived without hearing these ridculous questions?

G. Strange you mention a book. I am actually in the middle of writing a book on softball. From your post, my guess is that it would be of great benefit to you.

I thought that would help me a bit, but I still need some duct tape to keep my head from exploding.

Edited by dore83
  • Upvote 1