Millington vs MUS week Zero

Rob_M

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millington's performance was a lot better than last year's game vs MUS. The Trojans had over 230 yds rushing and averaged almost 6 yds a carry. We had some penalties in the wrong spots that extended some drives. We made adjustments on defense after that first quarter in which MUS went up 14-0. Had a couple of breakdowns that led to that late TD right before the half but all in all I thought we did all right on D. It was all dink and dunk stuff that the Owls were throwing. The longest completion of the night was 36 yds and that was the TD right before the half. We struggled throwing the ball but that was to be expected when you don't have a QB on the roster with any experience at the varsity level. But I know Coach Michael and his staff will correct the mistakes and have us ready to go vs Bartlett in 2 weeks.

Millington's performance was a lot better than last year's game vs MUS. The Trojans had over 230 yds rushing and averaged almost 6 yds a carry. We had some penalties in the wrong spots that extended some drives. We made adjustments on defense after that first quarter in which MUS went up 14-0. Had a couple of breakdowns that led to that late TD right before the half but all in all I thought we did all right on D. It was all dink and dunk stuff that the Owls were throwing. The longest completion of the night was 36 yds and that was the TD right before the half. We struggled throwing the ball but that was to be expected when you don't have a QB on the roster with any experience at the varsity level. But I know Coach Michael and his staff will correct the mistakes and have us ready to go vs Bartlett in 2 weeks.

I thought number 2 did a good job for his lack of experience several dropped passes,we threw deep twice but both times I thought they were catchable.overall i think he managed the offense.We looked good and we were not outclassed.

"LET'S GO TROJANS"

I also thought Millington did a decent job.. One thing that needs alot of improvement is the short pass defensive coverage. Giving them all the time in the world to catch and run. Our corners have got to be more aggressive and not just sit back and let them catch the ball then decide to tackle. Roland looked very good running the ball. Millington will do just fine in there district but needs to be more disciplined and stop making simple mistakes causing penailties. Can someone explain why #12 is running the football instead of webber?

In order for this offense to work at its peak, blocking is a must. There can not be any plays taken off. That's why #12-Josh Wilmer has been in there. Right now he is a much better blocker than Antonio Webber. If you aren't going to block when you're not getting the ball, you're hurting the team.

Doug, I thought Brady was fine for his first varsity start. There were plenty of catchable balls. Now he just needs to take the next step and improve in the next 2 weeks during practice for the Bartlett game.

Only one problem as far as I can see....QB's lack of an arm! Know we have a young one in the wings with ability but needs to develop some confidence. Not trying to be a downer...however, if we don't improve with the passing game, defenses are going to fill the box and make the run game much more difficult. Early yet, however, we've got to improve dramatically with the play action passing game. JMO

Go Trojans!!!

I want to see the Trojans win as bad as anybody I really do!!! But when you have a qb completing about 70% of his passes avging. 10 yrds a pass, offsides, delay of game, illegal shifts penalties and a kid trying to field a 10 yard punt,not to mention busted coverage resulting in the 3rd td right before the half ended, I dont know. I thought we would be more disciplined than that. The Def. coordinator has some work to do. Every team has had the same amount of time to prepare and we didnt look prepared. I still believe this team has a lot of potential.

In order for this offense to work at its peak, blocking is a must. There can not be any plays taken off. That's why #12-Josh Wilmer has been in there. Right now he is a much better blocker than Antonio Webber. If you aren't going to block when you're not getting the ball, you're hurting the team.

Doug, I thought Brady was fine for his first varsity start.

There were plenty of catchable balls. Now he just needs to take the next step and improve in the next 2 weeks during

practice for the Bartlett game.

I have complete faith that Coach Michael is putting the players on the field that give us the best shot to win. The qb position was up for grabs going into fall camp and as late as 2 weeks ago it was a virtual dead heat between #2 and #7. in the last two weeks #2 has practiced better and won the job. He now needs to step up and take command of the huddle. The multiple delay of game penaties have to be eliminated. The plays were sent in with plenty of time.

Webber is going to get plenty of touches by the end of the year. He is one of a number of our rb's that can take it the distance on any given play.

I was impressed with the adjustments that were made at the half that atleast slowed down the mus attack. The score of the second half was 7-7.

Can't wait for the home opener in two weeks. Should be a Great crowd with a possible 2-0 Bartlett coming to town.

Go Trojans!

• Upvote 1

I want to see the Trojans win as bad as anybody I really do!!! But when you have a qb completing about 70% of his passes avging. 10 yrds a pass, offsides, delay of game, illegal shifts penalties and a kid trying to field a 10 yard punt,not to mention busted coverage resulting in the 3rd td right before the half ended, I dont know. I thought we would be more disciplined than that. The Def. coordinator has some work to do. Every team has had the same amount of time to prepare and we didnt look prepared. I still believe this team has a lot of potential.

That TD right before the half was against our 3rd team DB. Oliver had just been taken out due to cramps and credit MUS for going right at his replacement. Everything that went wrong can be fixed. This is still a young team. There are only 3 returning starters on offense (Cross, Collier, Rhodes) There are a number of others that got to play last year but they didn't start. On D there are 4 returning starters (Vaughn, Wilmer, Cross, Taylor). Punting game was better. Derek averaged about 28 yds a kick last yr and averaged 40 a kick Saturday night. Last yr we had only 103 yds of total offense to go along with 3 turnovers. This year 250 yds (and almost 6 yds a carry) and no turnovers. We can get better and we will!

Edited by MarkH

I think they will get better also as they should. I was just a little disappointed at that many errors. A lot of those kids did not start last year but did play a lot. MUS is fairly young also. I expect Millington to play at that level. I believe they have the athletes.