Greenbrier Volleyball: Power or 1 Hit Wonder

BruinBabe

There has been alot of discussion on here about whether Greenbrier should be included with the elite programs of the state like Brentwood, Ryan etc.

Does winning 2 state championships make a school a state power. No, it does not.

Greenbrier had 2 great players, but before they came and after they left they are middle of the pack. Sometimes a great player or a great class can have a magical run. When they leave it is over. Thus they are a 1 hit wonder.

Sometimes a great program never wins a state championship but year in year out compete for one ie Ooltewah. Which is the better program, no question it is the Owls.

At Brentwood we think Father Ryan is a great program. Every year they are competitive. Several local schools are showing promise ie Seigal; BM and Ind, but haven't sustained it long enough to be established. Other schools like Page were 1 hit with Perilli, but became a great program by sustaining it with multiple coaches and now are an elite.

Germantown used to be elite, but now are mediocre.

GB had a pair of great players that had a good run. But put them in the record bin with 1 hit wonders!

Nothing wrong with that. They are Katrina and the Waves to the Wood's Rolling Stones.

Babe, you've done it again and discussing your posts PM said that twice a year you come out of nowhere and bring all of the partisons out of the boonies from all over the Sate to challenge everything you say. But yes, I have to agree with your premise. Sustainability and tradition is the most telling aspect and there are few schools that have been able to do it but you stopped just short of naming a few on your list that are historic despite their records. They certainly have the respect of many even though in the education field, schools change strength with popoulation and especially with great coaching. Tradition builds sustainability.

There is no question about Brentwood over 9 years with State Championships and a great coach who always is going to retire, so they say, comes back with 3 deep this year. And Ryan, who every year finds 6 players and 6 cheerleaders on the bench who have the best choragraphy and spirit one can imagine. And a coach, with two assts who insist on carrying thru their tradition. Both of these coaches believe in programs. Ooltewah believes in the program theory also with another one of those tradition builders and a school who just knows they belong there and I think they do despite not winning a State. But also there are others and theeir mentors like the ever battling GPS with a coach you know you have to beat. His players never give you a thing. And a legendary program, who is down due to population, but with a coach that history has already judged in East Ridge. While other programs are in more areas that the student population does not fluctuate, aome aren't and East Ridge, GPS and a couple of other schools have proved over time that lacing up ones sneakers with them will never be easy.

Dobyns Bennett is making a run and again here is a coach who has built a program and it appears that they might be able to knock on the door soon. Farragut and Anderson have made an attempt but time will tell. And you mention Siegel and Indy who have some connection at this point as Siegel in its short time of existance found a coach who stayed the course and built a tradition just short of winning a State and turned it over to another coach who as a player did and their sustainability has been exceptional, another great program. And Indy, who just keeps coming up with players and Coaches whose program is very good.

Page has made it as an elite an elite team in AA and competes with AAA schools every year. Germantown did go thru a rezoning after a run and along with Bartlett, the talent has diminished a bit but trying to fill those slots now are Collierville and Houston with two great coaches who have programs that will compete every year. And there is SBA in Memphis who sems to have their program together and could be the next multiyear winner in the State in DII.

So your list is a little short and confined to Middle Tennessee a little. but those in the State know who they nare and will be on here posting. And many of the rest of us realize the competition that exists and quickly can disappear. Are their others, Knox Catholic and others. Yours was a fine post even if I thought thee were others.

Greenbrier is a 1 hit wonder. Without the Arnold twins Greenbrier is not even discussed. End of story. The only reason they are even mentioned now is 5 sport dad (obviously related to the twins) wants to relive the "glory days."

Page used to get the "You only win with Perilli" then, when we kept winnin, we only win with coach Berry; guess what, still winning.

That is the most telling stat about a team: Can they be competitive with 1)different players or a different coach? If not, then I say 1 hit wonder.

Before Bruin Babe starts screaming "But Brentwood has only had 1 coach" there are exceptions. Wood is a power. So is Ryan. East Ridge would be there and so would Anderson County. I think Ooltewah, GPS, Baylor, and Sullivan South can be counted on to have a competitive team each year.

Greenbriar is the most recent David Lipscomb, Sullivan East, or Knoxville Catholic. Teams that had a couple of great players, who made a good run, and we all like quirky songs, but its 2010!

Greenbrier is a 1 hit wonder. Without the Arnold twins Greenbrier is not even discussed. End of story. The only reason they are even mentioned now is 5 sport dad (obviously related to the twins) wants to relive the "glory days."

That is the most telling stat about a team: Can they be competitive with 1)different players or a different coach? If not, then I say 1 hit wonder.

Greenbriar is the most recent David Lipscomb, Sullivan East, or Knoxville Catholic. Teams that had a couple of great players, who made a good run, and we all like quirky songs, but its 2010!

Dear PagePoser,

Blah, blah, blah! Our twins beat your team...with or without Nicole...regularly! And as good as the twins were, they had a pretty good supporting cast, too. That 2008 team was something wasn't it? REAL State Champions (beat the AAA - Independence - and DII - GPS - champs)!

The jealousy on this thread is crazy. And I'm not even in this except that you mentioned me. Relive the glory days? Please! My daughter plays softball for an education now. She only played volleyball because she liked the sport and loved the twins and her teammates. And because it used to be fun. When it started to be a pain with all the drama, she quit...with no regrets. She had a great career. Hope you do, too.

One more thing...those 2 gold balls sho do look good in our trophy case...I'll admit that. Oh, and those 2 rings are nice, too! Uhhh, how many do you have? :P

Sorry, but one more: I heard that BruinBabe isn't a 'babe' at all. I heard she should be called 'BruinYougly.' :ph34r:

Edited by 5-Sport Dad

You can call Greenbrier a one hit wonder or whatever you choose to, but the fact remains that they won back to back state championships. That places them in the top fifteen of all Tennessee high schools in number of titles. It puts them ahead of programs such as Anderson County in number of titles and many other so called powerhouses. As to the future, unless anyone has the ability to predict the future, what impact the two titles have on the program at Greenbrier remains to be seen. I would have to believe that the programs expectations are a little higher than prior to winning it all twice. But my main question is, what is the purpose of disrespecting any particular school? It can only be bad feelings or jealously, what other credible reason would there be? Ask any school that has won back to back titles and they will quickly tell you that it ain't easy. So Greenbrier is to be commended for their accomplishments. And to top it off, it is one of the most pleasant places to live in the state of Tennessee. :P

Edited by stbulldog

PHargis,

You obviously have been around the block a few times and have a sense of "perspective" about what it takes to have a quality program in the long run. Things like coaching, community support, demographics, quality feeder programs (both club and school), school system support, and even a little luck.

Its striking to observe a school like Dobyns Bennett or Brentwood and the depth that they have. I imagine that these schools probably have 15 to 20 girls, many club trained, trying out for Freshman ball. Right now, these schools' programs benefit from all of the mentioned factors. That could change in the future.

In and around Knoxville, several teams are going through transitions which are likely to impact their volleyball programs.

Rezoning last year is redistributing talent from Farragut and Karns to Hardin Valley and somewhat to Bearden.

Reclassification has moved Knox Catholic and Anderson County to AAA from A-AA. These schools will re-calibrate as they try to compete at a higher level. This is very striking for Catholic which, as the only private school competing in in AAA, not only cannot recruit, but is playing against teams three times its size. This doesn't mean that these schools are not good programs, but it will likely impact their results.

The Knox County school system is not particularly supportive of volleyball and does not sanction the sport for middle school, which affects Farragut, Bearden, Karns and Hardin Valley which all have a significant level of interest from the community.

From a demographics standpoint, some communities have a critical mass of interest that make club ball easier. I know that club teams in Nashville travel, but they really don't have to in order to face some good competition. Chattanooga is within two hours of Nashville and Atlanta, which helps. Also, parents from more affluent communities, such as Brentwood, can better afford to pay for club ball.

Anyway, the sport provides a positive influence to a lot of kids around the State and it seems that we should have a more positive communication rather than diminishing the accomplishments of our competitors. It wouldn't mean much to beat our rival if they stink.

VSD, your post has information and a great deal of perspective. Isn't it true that most all great High Schools, due to population changes and new areas of growth, finally outgrow their tradition and family trees and others close by pick up those traditions and start it anew. And maybe they are relatives of those in the older school. However things keep going on.

Never fear, things will keep going on, and while traditions certainly move on, names will still be remembered like the schools you have just mentioned. They are all over the state. They are in East Ridge, Red Bank, in upper east Tennessee, in inner city Nashville, in inner city Memphis like Bartlett.

Transition will continue on and while the older schools will continue to try to keep their name and their postion some times its hard to do. Sometimes open zoning makes a difference. Sometimes generations just move on. People will be remembered.

What is rather obvious on your post about Middle Schools and the lack of Volleyball in the Knoxville Area. Sounds like what is happening in a lot of major cities in Tennessee and the lack of importance of girls athletics being exhibited in the Inter-City. If this is falling out to be inhibiting Girls volleyball in some of the near by High Schools, only citizens voice in this can get it to change. It is true, due to the sport and its cost to play, could be the reason. But if no one is asking about it, could be another reason. Low cost clubs such as Spike evidently have not shown up in Knoxville. This club placed some players in colleges on partial scholarships. But its also evident that most anywhere except intercity, middle school play is doing well except in schools who are primarily k-8 and seem to have no interest in breaking out 6-8 grades for middle School play. I'm not sure what they have for girls to play except basketball. But I'm not sure how many coaches there are to coach volleyball. Greater play can be seen outside of the Intercity Middle School area. Knoxville needs to explain that to interested Knoxville Middle School volleyball fans. it may be just tradition. but there may be some good reasons. I can assure you that it is effecting high schools that don't have Vb in their feeder schools. thats a thread in itself and I think covers the whole state in metropolitan areas. Its a tradition that is evident in its absence. There could be good reasons. VSD, I have posted on this in some other areas and again you are very perceptive in your comments. We will try this again sometimes.

Edited by PHargis

5 sport, you and stbulldog are 2 of the biggest haters on here. Maybe the "drama" was caused by you trying to live through your kid? Or was it you having her play 5 sports?

One hit wonder, because the Arnold girls had 2 good years.

Keep ranting, just proves the point even more!

Are you suffering from a mental problem? I don't hate anybody, certainly not over a highschool sport which would be the highest form of immaturity. Greenbrier did what they did, and you can keep ranting, doesn't change anything. They are back to back state champions and in the top fifteen schools in number of titles and thats a fact. By the way, did 5-sport start this thread, no I believe you did. My Mistake, Bruinbabe started it. :)

Edited by stbulldog

Are you high! I didn't start this thread, nor do I "rant." You and 5 sport live on these boards. Dads, get a life. You don't even have kids in high school any more. This is sad. There is more to life than high school sports. I am sure you are making your daughters proud!

The question was a great question, and I responded.

Is UNLV a traditional power? I say no. Winning a title is not enough? I think PH is right, it is a multitude of factors:

1)How many state play-offs;

2)How many all-state or college players come from the program;

3)What is the win %;

4)Is the schools success linked to (1) group of players;

5)Do they have a complete program, ie. booster support, middle school programs ect.;

Under your analogy all it takes is to win a state championship. You are wrong, that was a great TEAM, not a great PROGRAM.

Honestly, do you think Greenbrier is a better volleyball program than Ooltewah or Seigal neither of which has won a state championship. Come on. You guys are probably in your 50's. Had you even watched volleyball before your kids played?

At Page it took us years to establish our program, as in about 12 of them! We started with a great group of players, then when they left we kept it going through multiple coaching changes. We have alot of interest. You guys had 2 years in the history of your school, and that was caused because you had 2 big time players come through together. No Arnold twins, and there is no discussion.

5 sport, you and stbulldog are 2 of the biggest haters on here. Maybe the "drama" was caused by you trying to live through your kid? Or was it you having her play 5 sports?

One hit wonder, because the Arnold girls had 2 good years.

Keep ranting, just proves the point even more!

Says the person who is in a thread hating on Greenbrier.

Edited by CheckerboardEndzones

Are you high! I didn't start this thread, nor do I "rant." You and 5 sport live on these boards. Dads, get a life. You don't even have kids in high school any more. This is sad. There is more to life than high school sports. I am sure you are making your daughters proud!

The question was a great question, and I responded.

Is UNLV a traditional power? I say no. Winning a title is not enough? I think PH is right, it is a multitude of factors: One last comment, I have been watching volleyball since the 1970's, bet you haven't

1)How many state play-offs;

2)How many all-state or college players come from the program;

3)What is the win %;

4)Is the schools success linked to (1) group of players;

5)Do they have a complete program, ie. booster support, middle school programs ect.;

Under your analogy all it takes is to win a state championship. You are wrong, that was a great TEAM, not a great PROGRAM.

Honestly, do you think Greenbrier is a better volleyball program than Ooltewah or Seigal neither of which has won a state championship. Come on. You guys are probably in your 50's. Had you even watched volleyball before your kids played?

At Page it took us years to establish our program, as in about 12 of them! We started with a great group of players, then when they left we kept it going through multiple coaching changes. We have alot of interest. You guys had 2 years in the history of your school, and that was caused because you had 2 big time players come through together. No Arnold twins, and there is no discussion.

Nothing more needs to be said, your post explains everything. You have serious problems and by the way, I have never been high ever. You can post until you are blue in the face, although it should be red from embarrassment, but Greenbrier's accomplishments are what they are and no matter how much you get on here and whine, you take nothing from them. All you are doing is giving them a good laugh. I have no history with Greenbrier volleyball, but recognize accomplishments and give praise where it is due, something you might learn to do. :) Ps if you don't call your last post ranting, then are you just an overemotional person that can't control themselves. Maybe thats it. Oh one other comment, I have been watching or playing volleyball since the 70"s, bet you can't say the same. Another last comment, I don't care whether Greenbrier's program is better than Siegal or anyone else, but they do have more titles than Siegal and more or as many as Hooterville, that what sticks in your craw. Oh, wait a minute, Hooterville don't have any titles. hee hee.

Edited by stbulldog