Greenbrier Volleyball: Power or 1 Hit Wonder

BruinBabe

But at this point, history may show that in this time frame, with this fine coach and the fine Middle school program, and the hardworking players involved, that possibility is there. History will tell along with many other schools. Its not over till its over. And only a schools parents and fans, can really know what it took for a school to get where they are. It means final results mean a lot but also what means a lot are schools records, and over time, what they achieve. Banners in school facilities are without names.Sometimes team pictures are placed to recognize players and coaches. Anytime you walk into a facility and see that, a program has been established and likely a powerhouse program is underneath that structure.

I know about banners since Father Ryan has 38 state championships in all sports, thats fourth in the state of Tennessee. I agree that usually shows a powerhouse. :P

Then you agree, and I doubt it seriously, with the post Bruinbabe started this thread. I cannot believe anything you post. Someone from Ryan, in no way could be associated with your thoughts and that includes JPII also. I know people there and their values are different than yours. Just where are your friends?? They don't know who you are. I do agree with the post that this thread started with, in its entirity and if you disagree with it you have the right to ask any or all of it to be deleted. Now we're back on subject.

Then you agree, and I doubt it seriously, with the post Bruinbabe started this thread. I cannot believe anything you post. Someone from Ryan, in no way could be associated with your thoughts and that includes JPII also. I know people there and their values are different than yours. Just where are your friends?? They don't know who you are. I do agree with the post that this thread started with, in its entirity and if you disagree with it you have the right to ask any or all of it to be deleted. Now we're back on subject.

Kinda skirting the rules there hargoo. I have no idea what you mean about my thoughts and Ryan or JPII, your insults bore me. You sir have no class as this post clearly demostrates. End of story. I disagree with the thread and there we have it. I have more friends than Carter has liver pills. Quit trying to pry into my personal life, grow up. I don't request for anything to be deleted, but I bet you are still stewing about having one of your posts deleted. So clean up your act, and make Seagull proud. Ps to comment on someone's values is really low-class, so stop it now, you don't know me, read all my posts before you comment on values and then you are only guessing, you are crossing the line once again. Try Ginkoba. :roflol:

Edited by stbulldog

I agree with PH and BB on this topic, although "1 Hit Wonders" sounds a little harsh. When we got to TN we talked to the UT coaches, and other college coaches, about TN high school volleyball.

The general agreement was that Nashville area volleyball was totally supported by 2 strong clubs. The successful high school programs were the ones that embraced club, and encouraged their players to participate in club. Brentwood embraced club early, and essentially let the club run the program, yet still had strong traditions and school pride. Coach Berry was generally considered to be the best Middle TN coach, Coach Brock and the Anderson County coaches were tops in East Tenn, and nobody really looked west of Nashville.

The best "programs" is a little deceiving. Brentwood is obviously the winningest program, but are they the "best." I would look at how many all-state players and college players they produce; what is their overall record; etc. It is more than winning titles, but for argument sake I would put them at the top.

Father Ryan is a private school and doesn't really have to compete against the powerhouse public programs to win anything, and they can't really be in the discussion with the other power teams in Nashville. I would not put them in the top 5 of the middle school programs.

Nashville has 3 POWER programs right now:

1)Brentwood 2)Independance; 3)siegel that are as well run as any in the south. Page and Ravenwood are really strong volleyball programs. Father Ryan and GPS are the top privates, with GPS having the edge because of coaching.

Nashville has a huge advantage because of the strength of the clubs. East TN doesn't have the depth. AC can compete state wide, and DB has a strong group, but everybody else lacks consitency, and lag behind middle tennessee. I think that will change.

I agree that GB has an opportunity to get in the mix if they can build on those 2 titles. I was at the 2007 state tournament. GB and AC were the best 2 teams in the state that season by far. They played each other in the finals at the same time as Brentwood and Ooltewah. Gps and Father Ryan were the 2 privates. GB and AC were a level above the other 4 finals teams, and GB was better than AC. Not just the 2 Arnold sisters, but the GB team. They had a great setter, a big middle and a terrific Libero. They were well coached, with great fan support. That was not a 1 hit wonder, but a great team! If they buy into club 10 years from now they may be talked about like these other schools. They took a great first step.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with PH and BB on this topic, although "1 Hit Wonders" sounds a little harsh. When we got to TN we talked to the UT coaches, and other college coaches, about TN high school volleyball.

The general agreement was that Nashville area volleyball was totally supported by 2 strong clubs. The successful high school programs were the ones that embraced club, and encouraged their players to participate in club. Brentwood embraced club early, and essentially let the club run the program, yet still had strong traditions and school pride. Coach Berry was generally considered to be the best Middle TN coach, Coach Brock and the Anderson County coaches were tops in East Tenn, and nobody really looked west of Nashville.

The best "programs" is a little deceiving. Brentwood is obviously the winningest program, but are they the "best." I would look at how many all-state players and college players they produce; what is their overall record; etc. It is more than winning titles, but for argument sake I would put them at the top.

Father Ryan is a private school and doesn't really have to compete against the powerhouse public programs to win anything, and they can't really be in the discussion with the other power teams in Nashville. I would not put them in the top 5 of the middle school programs.

Nashville has 3 POWER programs right now:

1)Brentwood 2)Independance; 3)siegel that are as well run as any in the south. Page and Ravenwood are really strong volleyball programs. Father Ryan and GPS are the top privates, with GPS having the edge because of coaching.

Nashville has a huge advantage because of the strength of the clubs. East TN doesn't have the depth. AC can compete state wide, and DB has a strong group, but everybody else lacks consitency, and lag behind middle tennessee. I think that will change.

I agree that GB has an opportunity to get in the mix if they can build on those 2 titles. I was at the 2007 state tournament. GB and AC were the best 2 teams in the state that season by far. They played each other in the finals at the same time as Brentwood and Ooltewah. Gps and Father Ryan were the 2 privates. GB and AC were a level above the other 4 finals teams, and GB was better than AC. Not just the 2 Arnold sisters, but the GB team. They had a great setter, a big middle and a terrific Libero. They were well coached, with great fan support. That was not a 1 hit wonder, but a great team! If they buy into club 10 years from now they may be talked about like these other schools. They took a great first step.

Your statements about Father Ryan are interesting reading, but totally inaccurate, Father Ryan has and continues to compete against the toughest competition in the South. While this particular season will indeed be a struggle for them, they have won four state championships one before the split and historically could compete with anyone. Father Ryan does not have a middle school, never has had one. Father Ryan's coach is Jinx Cockerham, who I believe measures up against anyone. Your opinions are just that, your opinions, but don't carry much history or facts. Try researching before posting. You stated that nobody looked west of Nashville, I guess you are not counting Germantown with their 6 or so titles in the past. Or are you posting from this year 2010 toward the future only. An interesting post from someone in an area that hardly has any titles to speak of no matter what team you mention. As I have posted many times before, only a few years from now can anyone determine whether Greenbrier is a one hit wonder or not. But they are a two time state champion, and thats enough to be about number 7 in titles in Tennesse. Many teams over the years have had several great players and not won the title, just look at Anderson County. You stated that you talked to UT when you came to Tennessee and that the general opinion among whoever at UT was there were two strong programs in Nashville. I guess things have changed since UT has had two Ryan players on their roster in the last ten years. I do agree with you on one point, Siegal is run well by that Ryan Alumni that played for UT. Don't you see, I am just as biased toward Ryan as you are toward whatever team you support,the only difference is that I admit it. :P

No real bias too speak of, other than the acknowledged connect with Catholic High School, just the facts. Since we have been in TN Germantown has not been a team that we have heard much about. Looking at the internet it appears that their success was some time ago.

Have never met Jinx (cool name though) but don't doubt that she is a solid coach. Private school titles don't carry the same weight. How many privates sompete in Ryan's division? Less than 12? East of Chattanooga there is only 1 private school, Webb. 6 make the tournament.

I have worked with the Ryan player that you refer and she is fantastic. Great attitude. My feeling is that she got her skills from club. Am I wrong?

Volleyball has changed alot over the last few years.

No real bias too speak of, other than the acknowledged connect with Catholic High School, just the facts. Since we have been in TN Germantown has not been a team that we have heard much about. Looking at the internet it appears that their success was some time ago.

Have never met Jinx (cool name though) but don't doubt that she is a solid coach. Private school titles don't carry the same weight. How many privates sompete in Ryan's division? Less than 12? East of Chattanooga there is only 1 private school, Webb. 6 make the tournament.

I have worked with the Ryan player that you refer and she is fantastic. Great attitude. My feeling is that she got her skills from club. Am I wrong?

K2, you are observant in your comments. One thing I have to emphasize. Two of the three schools you mentioned have now some comparisons as being well run. Siegel and now Indy both now have had the same coach. Siegel had the same one for its existance and she now is at Indy this year. The thing that is important is that those who run the booster

club at Siegel have been involved with it and the siblings for a number of years and make it work.

As far as the coach is concerned, the coach is hired by the Principal and no one else. She is approved by the District Office. Thats the procedure. Does it mean the Booster has no influence? They do have influence. Because it has been posted on here, Ann Mullins is a great person and motivator. She was hired because she played at David Lipscomb University, was technically a great player, a student assistant, a leader, and was from a Volleyball family. She was a Director of a Club. She was finishing up from Lipscomb University. Those were her qualifications. She didn't take the position to become an overnight success. She was already one in everything she did. She didn't take it for the money. She's waiting on that. She took it because of relationships with players and a school who really needed her and she needed the background of working with a quality program that Kathy Slaughter left at Siegel. Siegel is a mature program whose booster club runs a great program and the principal of the school knows only one way to opeerate. Ann Mullins will admit she has learned a lot and Siegel has gotten a lot out of Coach Mullins. The reason I am posting to this is to explain the process she had to go thru to be hired. It wasn't easy and is still not. If she continues to coach, she could be one of the top coaches in the State. Likely it might not be at a high school. Siegel has crammed 4 years of coaching experience in to, at the end of this year, two years of coaching with her record. All of this just fills up the space of the accomplishments of a person. Coach Mullins could have graduated from any high school and any University. She would still be the same person.

She got some of her skills from club, and some from the Olympic Coach

that runs Ryan's team camp, perhaps you have heard of him Arnie Ball, and some from Coach Jinx. Having contact with Knoxville Catholic hardly qualifies your blanket statements you made about private schools and Germantown. Germantown was a perennial powerhouse less than ten years ago. Your statements about the privates are hardly facts, just your opinion and you can post it till the cows come home, still just your opinion. Ryan can compete with anyone private or public (not this year) for the past 30 years, if you don't know that, I question all your so called facts. :angry: PS By the way, is this just another veiled attempt to promote club. Or are you just kinda biased toward public schools. I think both and your response won't change my mind.

Edited by stbulldog

K2, you are observant in your comments. One thing I have to emphasize. Two of the three schools you mentioned have now some comparisons as being well run. Siegel and now Indy both now have had the same coach. Siegel had the same one for its existance and she now is at Indy this year. The thing that is important is that those who run the booster

club at Siegel have been involved with it and the siblings for a number of years and make it work.

As far as the coach is concerned, the coach is hired by the Principal and no one else. She is approved by the District Office. Thats the procedure. Does it mean the Booster has no influence? They do have influence. Because it has been posted on here, Ann Mullins is a great person and motivator. She was hired because she played at David Lipscomb University, was technically a great player, a student assistant, a leader, and was from a Volleyball family. She was a Director of a Club. She was finishing up from Lipscomb University. Those were her qualifications. She didn't take the position to become an overnight success. She was already one in everything she did. She didn't take it for the money. She's waiting on that. She took it because of relationships with players and a school who really needed her and she needed the background of working with a quality program that Kathy Slaughter left at Siegel. Siegel is a mature program whose booster club runs a great program and the principal of the school knows only one way to opeerate. Ann Mullins will admit she has learned a lot and Siegel has gotten a lot out of Coach Mullins. The reason I am posting to this is to explain the process she had to go thru to be hired. It wasn't easy and is still not. If she continues to coach, she could be one of the top coaches in the State. Likely it might not be at a high school. Siegel has crammed 4 years of coaching experience in to, at the end of this year, two years of coaching with her record. All of this just fills up the space of the accomplishments of a person. Coach Mullins could have graduated from any high school and any University. She would still be the same person.

I think Ann is a good person also. But I have to disagree with the statement that she could have graduated from any high school and still be the same person. I and I bet Ann would say the same that Father Ryan had and continues to have a great influence on her and in forming her to be the person she is, along with her parents who also are devoted Catholics. This may be the last year after 36 years of coaching for Jinx at Ryan. It will be interesting to see who succeeds her, I know who I would like see get it. :D By the way, Ann also played for the University of Tennessee for at least one season and possible two seasons, I forget. She of course is one of the two players that I mentioned to K-Club or whoever that stated that Ryan could not compete with the top publics, what a silly statement. Edited by stbulldog

Stbulldog, I have read your posts where you just randomly attack the kids that post on here, and make totally absurd staements that have no basis in fact.

I don't doubt that "back in the day" Germantown and Father Ryan were competitive volleyball programs. "Back in the day" most high schools relied on PE teachers to coach the underhand serve.

Those tactics won't succeed in 2010. Club has revolutionized the sport. The level of instruction in TN is now top notch. People like your coach, and the East Ridge coach and the old AC coach who were around in the 70's when volleyball started in this state deserve our respect for creating what we have now.

I am not going to play your sly game where you make an inflammatory post (then edit it to make you look like you are being reasonable) just to belittle someone.

By your own admission Father Ryan and Germantown aren't very good this season. Ryan is a similiar school to Catholic (who is having a good year) and it is tough to beat the more established programs.

Stbulldog, I have read your posts where you just randomly attack the kids that post on here, and make totally absurd staements that have no basis in fact.

I don't doubt that "back in the day" Germantown and Father Ryan were competitive volleyball programs. "Back in the day" most high schools relied on PE teachers to coach the underhand serve.

Those tactics won't succeed in 2010. Club has revolutionized the sport. The level of instruction in TN is now top notch. People like your coach, and the East Ridge coach and the old AC coach who were around in the 70's when volleyball started in this state deserve our respect for creating what we have now.

I am not going to play your sly game where you make an inflammatory post (then edit it to make you look like you are being reasonable) just to belittle someone.

By your own admission Father Ryan and Germantown aren't very good this season. Ryan is a similiar school to Catholic (who is having a good year) and it is tough to beat the more established programs.

Back in the day, Back in the day. Father Ryan has won two state championships during the 2000's. As to your comment about attacking players, you must be mistaking me for someone else, I have never attacked any player ever. Disagreeging with someone is not attacking. You whoever you are have just posted something silly and most every volleyball poster knows this. Just because Ryan is not at the top level this season means what, it means nothing. If you had any real knowledge of volleyball, you would know that. So go ahead with your marketing posts and your praise of two or three coaches and act as if they somehow by themselves took the game to a different level. Nobody and I mean nobody would mention any coach in the state of Tennessee without mentioning Jinx Cockerham and Ryan's program which she has led for 36 years. So please, don't be foolish, you are showing a newness to the state, haven't learned everything yet. Your statement attempting to label me as something I am not didn't work, as most posters know. :D Oh by the way, you do not know who are kids and who are 75 year olds on this site, no more than anybody else. One more thing, I haven't seen an underhanded serve at Ryan in 30 years, what a silly statement to post. There is nothing similiar to Ryan and Catholic, except they are both Catholic schools and thats where the similiarity ends, especially in volleyball. Over the last 30 years, Ryan would have wiped up the floor with Catholic if they had played on a regular basis, keep posting, because the more you post, the more you show your lack of knowledge concerning volleyball in this state. One last comment, ask any Coach of any program in the state of Tennessee if it is easy playing or beating Ryan and then have the guts to post on this site their answer and admit you are wrongggggggg. Call Brock at GPS,or call the former coach at ER and ask about Ryan. Edited by stbulldog