Greenbrier Volleyball: Power or 1 Hit Wonder

BruinBabe

Greenbrier is a 1 hit wonder. We see them at sub-state. They never had anything before the 2 sisters, haven't had anything since.

From what I witnessed , they have a very competitive team that played Page a very good match. With their coach, there is no doubt that they will continue to improve this entire season. As has been stated before, time will tell and only time will tell, not the wishes or desires of some very petty fans of other schools. They are back to back state champions and continue to play at a high level. Hats off to Greenbrier both in the past and presently. :P

I started this topic, and I think Stbulldog has totally missed the point.

At Wood we talk history with Coach, alot. In this state, during the 40 years of volleyball, ONLY 28 schools have won a state championship.

All are not power programs, some are 1 hit wonders. Likewise, several that have never won are legitimate powerhouses.

Stbulldog, Kirkman won 5 state championships, in a row. Are they still a state power? Still even a school?

They won at a time when VB was dominated by East TN. According to coach THE 5 VB schools were Kirkman and ER from Chatt; Norris (now called Anderson County) and West from Knoxville, and Sullivan South from the Tri Cities. South, AC, and ER are still winning, and are legitimate powers.

NOTE: to Stbulldog you seem to really not like AC. We don't either (who does), but each year they do more with less, and all of the attention they receive is earned. No school in the state would pick to play them in a big game because they are the most intense and aggressive school in the state.

USN and Bradley have 4 titles. Still a power?

No. They had a great group come through, and then they were done. Just like Hume Fogg, Livingston Academy, South Doyle, Lipscomb and Greenbriar.

Wood, Ryan, Germantown, Harding academy, AC, ER, Baylor, GPS, Red Bank, Page South all have titles, and all are POWERS.

Independance, DB, Notre Dame have titles and are becoming powers. Ooltewah, Farragut, Catholic, no title, but are established powers.

By the way, what school do you follow?

AC, ER, South have been at the top since the begining. Wood, Ryan, Page have been great a long time, with multiple teams. GB had a good 2 years. They have not earned Powerhouse status, yet.

While I don't have a dog in the specific school fights going on here I do have a general opinion on the topic at hand.

I think in the end the powerhouse status only matters as a means of getting championships. These girls are not going out there playing to lose in a high round. They're playing and working for championships. Your school is a perennial power? That's great. Why? Because you'll have more chances to get that championship. They don't give rings for almost making it to the top each year. And I'm sure most players will tell you they'd rather win it all once and end up as a one hit wonder than lose in the finals four times.

While I don't have a dog in the specific school fights going on here I do have a general opinion on the topic at hand.

I think in the end the powerhouse status only matters as a means of getting championships. These girls are not going out there playing to lose in a high round. They're playing and working for championships. Your school is a perennial power? That's great. Why? Because you'll have more chances to get that championship. They don't give rings for almost making it to the top each year. And I'm sure most players will tell you they'd rather win it all once and end up as a one hit wonder than lose in the finals four times.

Programs plan out year by year improvement and consistancy and goals realizing it takes that just to sometime get the opportunity for a State Championship. It appears that those who achieve it start there and then finish. It doesn't mean they always make it but they are generally known to be around the top. Some satisfaction likely can be had by being in that catagory.

Have any of you ever played a competitive sport?

I estimate that in the last 40 years 7000 teams and over 100,000 athletes have tried to win a state championship. Of those 100,000 + athletes only about 500 have a ring. State championships are special. There are alot of schools, over 85%, that have never won a state championship in ANY sport.

Being a 1 hit wonder is fantastic for that team. What GB did is special, they are elite. They hold 25 of the 500 rings!

That doesn't make the school a power, it makes the Arnold sisters great players.

Just making it to a state tournament is special. Making it to the final four, or the finals is fantastic. Teams that year in and year out that are in the mix for a title are state powers.

This post was never meant to be critical. Some posters like 5 sport dad, and Stbulldog, just like to say mean things and stir stuff up. The 2 GB teams deserve everyones respect because they are elite. That doesn't make them a power.

Have any of you ever played a competitive sport?

I estimate that in the last 40 years 7000 teams and over 100,000 athletes have tried to win a state championship. Of those 100,000 + athletes only about 500 have a ring. State championships are special. There are alot of schools, over 85%, that have never won a state championship in ANY sport.

Being a 1 hit wonder is fantastic for that team. What GB did is special, they are elite. They hold 25 of the 500 rings!

That doesn't make the school a power, it makes the Arnold sisters great players.

Just making it to a state tournament is special. Making it to the final four, or the finals is fantastic. Teams that year in and year out that are in the mix for a title are state powers. This post was never meant to be critical. Some posters like 5 sport dad, and Stbulldog, just like to say mean things and stir stuff up. The 2 GB teams deserve everyones respect because they are elite. That doesn't make them a power.

I couldn't agree with you more, and thats basically what I posted. The difference between you and me seems to be about the future. I posted that nobody can predict the future, only time will tell if Greenbrier builds on the dual state championships. That can't be disputed. You are incorrect in your statement about me posting mean things, perhaps you can't tell the difference between mean and harmless banter, but in this case, the attacked will always counter-attack. I still find it interesting that this thread ever started and can see nothing positive about it. The hidden agenda here seemed to be one of putting Greenbrier in its place for whatever reason. I don't think any of the players current or past ever posted on this thread, so this thread is addressing who. All teams had to start somwhere in being what you describe as a state power. Who can dispute that Greenbrier has not started down the road to be a perennial state power. Only time will tell. Disagreeing with other posters is not being mean. Thats your opinion, there are just as many opinions that would disagree with you. It seems to me that a respectful post about Greenbrier would have made a statement about their two state titles which places them among the top fifteen schools in the state in number of titles, instead of saying something like they are a one hit wonder. Why would anyone say that? The future is not here yet,how do you know.Have a nice day. :P Oh by the way, I have played competitive sports before both high school and college. Okay

Edited by stbulldog

My post was aimed at those denigrating "one hit wonders". Of course powerhouses are the best teams in the long run, with or without championships. Though sometimes it seems powerhouse fans get used to winning, expect it, and then take it for granted. These one hit wonders who have to work harder and hope for a bit of luck (with maybe an elite player or two to coming their way occasionally) seem to enjoy their run a lot more!

But at this point, history may show that in this time frame, with this fine coach and the fine Middle school program, and the hardworking players involved, that possibility is there. History will tell along with many other schools. Its not over till its over. And only a schools parents and fans, can really know what it took for a school to get where they are. It means final results mean a lot but also what means a lot are schools records, and over time, what they achieve. Banners in school facilities are without names.Sometimes team pictures are placed to recognize players and coaches. Anytime you walk into a facility and see that, a program has been established and likely a powerhouse program is underneath that structure.

Babe, generally on this issue, with your explanation, it is difficult to disagree with you on anything you have posted. You have respectfully recognized a great school, with great players, and IMO one of the finest coaches. She and her cohorts deal with what she is dealt, year after year, after year. After that other things come into play. Sites like this are built on facts, not opinion in ones own mind. Making a case just on opinion in ones own mind leads to a self elevation. As you have likely seen,there are many out there to disagree with anyones position and say they are the one that is right. It's dangerous to assume that or any other position. Likely its the way its done but I could be wrong. :blush:

Edited by PHargis

I started this topic, and I think Stbulldog has totally missed the point.

At Wood we talk history with Coach, alot. In this state, during the 40 years of volleyball, ONLY 28 schools have won a state championship.

All are not power programs, some are 1 hit wonders. Likewise, several that have never won are legitimate powerhouses.

Stbulldog, Kirkman won 5 state championships, in a row. Are they still a state power? Still even a school?

They won at a time when VB was dominated by East TN. According to coach THE 5 VB schools were Kirkman and ER from Chatt; Norris (now called Anderson County) and West from Knoxville, and Sullivan South from the Tri Cities. South, AC, and ER are still winning, and are legitimate powers.

NOTE: to Stbulldog you seem to really not like AC. We don't either (who does), but each year they do more with less, and all of the attention they receive is earned. No school in the state would pick to play them in a big game because they are the most intense and aggressive school in the state.

USN and Bradley have 4 titles. Still a power?

No. They had a great group come through, and then they were done. Just like Hume Fogg, Livingston Academy, South Doyle, Lipscomb and Greenbriar.

Wood, Ryan, Germantown, Harding academy, AC, ER, Baylor, GPS, Red Bank, Page South all have titles, and all are POWERS.

Independance, DB, Notre Dame have titles and are becoming powers. Ooltewah, Farragut, Catholic, no title, but are established powers.

By the way, what school do you follow?

AC, ER, South have been at the top since the begining. Wood, Ryan, Page have been great a long time, with multiple teams. GB had a good 2 years. They have not earned Powerhouse status, yet.

Hold the phone here, we have another clairvoyant here. I have absolutely nothing against Anderson County. Your opinions about who will become powerhouses, who won't, are simply your opinion. Other posters have other opinions. I could care less about your discussions at the "wood". I am a member of the Father Ryan family and have been for a long time. I have tasted the same kind of success that you might have,I am talking about the experience of winning state championships. The difference between me and you is you have your opinion and I have mine. I don't believe you can predict the future, so you can say that Greenbrier is one and done, but it is still just your opinion. You can say that Germantown is still a power, but you might need to do a little homework since their circumstances have changed in the recent past. But on Greenbrier you are certain, they are one and done. I say you have a crick in your neck about Greenbrier, perhaps due to the fact that they are little country town that won back to back state titles. Maybe that bothers you, but there was no purpose for posting a thread that called one team in the state of Tennessee a one hit wonder. Nobody will change my mind, I maintain that I understand sports as much as you and perhaps more if we discussed multiple sports, but thats just my opinion. :) PS AC, ER, maybe powerhouses, but Greenbrier has the same number of titles as ER and one more than AC. So its all in how you look at it. We look at it differently.

Edited by stbulldog

Programs plan out year by year improvement and consistancy and goals realizing it takes that just to sometime get the opportunity for a State Championship. It appears that those who achieve it start there and then finish. It doesn't mean they always make it but they are generally known to be around the top. Some satisfaction likely can be had by being in that catagory.

I agree, some satisfaction can be found by getting very close to the title. But this thread is not about titles or no titles, its about a poster who can see the future when it concerns schools like Knoxville Catholic, DB etc and describes as powerhouses to be, but in the same breath, says Greenbrier has no future or chance of becoming a perennial power, me thinks something is amiss here, how can any poster see the future, of course they can't, they are predicting off of the past. Perhaps now Greenbrier has a past and will build on it in the future. That a positive statement about a school as it should be. I hope many more schools across the state win titles or compete for them at the highest level, nothing would make me happier. Of course I hope that Ryan win a few more to go with the four they possess. :)