Greenbrier Volleyball: Power or 1 Hit Wonder

BruinBabe

From someone who saw Father Ryan several times during the mid-2000's, it's a little silly to imply their State Championships don't mean much because of the Public/Private split. Unlike football, there is a lot cross-division competition, and it becomes fairly apparent who the best teams are. If Father Ryan has to take a discount on its Championships, then anybody not playing Div I-AAA has to be discounted. With no disrespect to either East Ridge or Notre Dame for their 2006 or 2007 State championships, and based on watching them compete directly against GPS and Baylor, I doubt either team would have won the Division II championship those years. Neither Father Ryan, GPS, Baylor or any other volleyball team can pick their division (that was driven by football, and to a lesser extent, wrestling).

Based on observations of head-to-head competition in regular season tournaments, from what I witnessed in 2007 Father Ryan probably was the second best team in the State. I doubt any problems Father Ryan may be having this year is because their coach is having them serve underhanded.

From someone who saw Father Ryan several times during the mid-2000's, it's a little silly to imply their State Championships don't mean much because of the Public/Private split. Unlike football, there is a lot cross-division competition, and it becomes fairly apparent who the best teams are. If Father Ryan has to take a discount on its Championships, then anybody not playing Div I-AAA has to be discounted. With no disrespect to either East Ridge or Notre Dame for their 2006 or 2007 State championships, and based on watching them compete directly against GPS and Baylor, I doubt either team would have won the Division II championship those years. Neither Father Ryan, GPS, Baylor or any other volleyball team can pick their division (that was driven by football, and to a lesser extent, wrestling).

Based on observations of head-to-head competition in regular season tournaments, from what I witnessed in 2007 Father Ryan probably was the second best team in the State. I doubt any problems Father Ryan may be having this year is because their coach is having them serve underhanded.

Good and accurate Post. :)

My point just proven by the "attack" and "quickly edited" post!

How is my respect for the Ryan coach and what she has done a negative?

Were these 2000 state championships when you were ONLY competiting against the oth 10 privates?

What is your hangup about edits? I edit misspelled words which happens alot with me. What respect? In an earlier post, you as much admitted that you did not even know the Ryan coach. You need to travel more. This thread was about Greenbrier, and Ryan needs no defense, it speaks for itself. Take a trip someday to Ryan's gym and look at the state championship banners in all sports. It will take you the better part of a day to look at each one. Good luck in promoting club. :wacko:

What is your hangup about edits? I edit misspelled words which happens alot with me. What respect? In an earlier post, you as much admitted that you did not even know the Ryan coach. You need to travel more. This thread was about Greenbrier, and Ryan needs no defense, it speaks for itself. Take a trip someday to Ryan's gym and look at the state championship banners in all sports. It will take you the better part of a day to look at each one. Good luck in promoting club. :wacko:

I agree with a statement I read a few post back. This thread title is a "shot" at Greenbrier and the success they had in back to back championships. I also agree with the statement that "the future isn't here yet" so if any of you can guarantee the next state championship, would you play the lottery for me? Another thing I do agree with is the Arnold twins are good volleyball players...however if you noticed, they didn't cover the court alone. There is a whole Greenbrier team that wears championship rings, and I think they were part of those wins also.

One other thing...apparently "green" is not exclusive to Greenbrier players.

I disagree that thread is a "shot" against GB. Several schools have been mentioned.

If I were GB my response at being labeled a 1 hit wonder would be "at least we have that 1 hit!!!"

Talking to the Catholic coaches they compare that GB team to a team called Hume Fogg in the late 90's. They had a couple of great years and a state championship, then disappeared from the radar. By Stbulldogs criteria why would HF be any different from GB?

Is HF a state power, or a 1 hit wonder? They also ask if David Lipscomb is a power? Stbulldog puts too much weight on a single great team, as opposed to a year in and year out great program.

By the way the Catholic coaches chastised me by saying that Bulldog was right, and that Catholic is not in the same discussion as Ryan, and they put Ryan solidly in the state power category!

Going back to a previous post, history will tell power, previous power or wannabee. Everyone is a wannabee unless they have been there and are on a downward swing. Student population has moved some Chattanooga Schools down the latter a bit. Really hasn't changed the coaches. Greenbrier is still in contention, IMO, due to an exceptional MS Coach and an exceptional HS coach. While they might surprise me, the program is on strong footing. The question is can they recruit their own student body?

That is the real question at all power schools along wwith finding players that want to and can improve themselves at club and find the right chemistry. Times do change and while some schools think they can get by without Middle School Competition and can just compete ion MS on an offseaon against like schools instead of the mainstream, will finally find that waiting to train freshman will find that being around the game earlier is valuable. Its not so just to go to a National Venue earlier but the play and technicals taught. Read those last two sentences again. Doing something other than this only causes some risk to a High School Coach for consistant play each year. It also is risky in attracting athletes in lower grades to this attractive sport and the players going to soccer and Basketball or cheerleading or for that matter, heaven forbid, NOTHING. GB does attract players as does HF and Dickson which are potentials in the AA group. I use, personally, GB as a gage for how well the sport is doing, but not necessarily the strength of club. That's their choice and the report card comes out every year. Look at the report cards each year and compare schools. The astute parent or coach will find a difference. But your Middle School Program may not be doing the job for whatever the reason and there are a lot of those.

Edited by PHargis

K2rippin',

All you've got is opinion and hot air...which makes me think that you've GOT to be in sales, of some kind (we just can't figure out what; but, here's a 'hint:' some say it's from a bull, is sometimes deep and has a terrible odor :P ).

Staying on topic, here are the facts...

2 Hit (or more) Wonders:

Brentwood 8

Germantown 7

Briarcrest 5

Chattanooga Kirkman 5

Father Ryan 4

University School of Nashville 4

Bradley Central 4

Harding Academy 4

Page 4

Sullivan South 3

Girls Preparatory School 3

Baylor 2

East Ridge 2

Harpeth Hall 2

Greenbrier 2

TRUE 1 Hit Wonders:

Anderson County

Hume Fogg

Livingston Academy

South Doyle

Glencliff

David Lipscomb

Notre Dame

Independence

Boyd Buchanan

Red Bank

Dobyns Bennett

Evangelical Christian School

St. Benedict

So, it's pretty simple...if you really are a 1 Hit Wonder, all you have to do is win just one more and you can move up to our level (Ryan's and Greenbrier's). Oh, yeah, and Middle/West beats East by about 20 gold balls...according to my calculations. Hope your 'club' sales pick up soon...'cause that's a lotta catchin' up to do, huh?... :thumb:

K2rippin',

All you've got is opinion and hot air...which makes me think that you've GOT to be in sales, of some kind (we just can't figure out what; but, here's a 'hint:' some say it's from a bull, is sometimes deep and has a terrible odor :P ).

Staying on topic, here are the facts...

2 Hit (or more) Wonders:

Brentwood 8

Germantown 7

Briarcrest 5

Chattanooga Kirkman 5

Father Ryan 4

University School of Nashville 4

Bradley Central 4

Harding Academy 4

Page 4

Sullivan South 3

Girls Preparatory School 3

Baylor 2

East Ridge 2

Harpeth Hall 2

Greenbrier 2

TRUE 1 Hit Wonders:

Anderson County

Hume Fogg

Livingston Academy

South Doyle

Glencliff

David Lipscomb

Notre Dame

Independence

Boyd Buchanan

Red Bank

Dobyns Bennett

Evangelical Christian School

St. Benedict

So, it's pretty simple...if you really are a 1 Hit Wonder, all you have to do is win just one more and you can move up to our level (Ryan's and Greenbrier's). Oh, yeah, and Middle/West beats East by about 20 gold balls...according to my calculations. Hope your 'club' sales pick up soon...'cause that's a lotta catchin' up to do, huh?... :thumb:

Those are interesting facts. Although, I don't know why you combine Middle and West Tennessee to compare to East Tennessee. If you split the state into three, as is typical, East Tennessee has 26 of 72 while Middle Tennessee has 37 and West Tennessee has 9. I would say that Middle Tennessee excels, East Tennessee holds its own and West Tennessee lags behind.

What is notable, however, is the lack of Knoxville area representation for which I see only two teams, Anderson County and South Doyle. I haven't checked, but I think that you would find that if you looked at sports like boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball and football, there would be an embarassing abundance of representation from the Knoxville area. Volleyball has just caught on in the area and I expect the results to improve in the near future.

VSD, what really is embarassing is that Knoxville Middle Schools don't even recognize VB as a sport and the high Schools don't even get players unless the middle Schoolers play club. What is obvious is that the University likely doesn't even know or maybe care about promoting VB for that age group. Doesn't sound like a UT policy.

VSD, what really is embarassing is that Knoxville Middle Schools don't even recognize VB as a sport and the high Schools don't even get players unless the middle Schoolers play club. What is obvious is that the University likely doesn't even know or maybe care about promoting VB for that age group. Doesn't sound like a UT policy.

Your right Hargis about the Knoxville middle schools. K2ruth can probably comment about this, but I think the University Women's Athletic Department does know and probably just doesn't have much control over the Knox County school board and administration. Title IX has had a positive impact on girls' sports overall, but the school administration in Knoxville seem inclined to punish both boys and girls sports at the middle school level. Most sports are "club" only and development is dependent on having solid clubs in town. Volleyball, as a club sport is more expensive than other sports and perhaps this is why it has lagged behind the other sports from a club perspective. There seems to be a growing critical mass of interest in volleyball here and perhaps this will help manage the cost along with some competition between clubs.

Not to pitch club, in general or any particular club, but it appears that K2 has substantially increased participation at the middle school age groups with numerous successful teams last year at the 11, 12 and 13 year old age groups. This should help.

Your right Hargis about the Knoxville middle schools. K2ruth can probably comment about this, but I think the University Women's Athletic Department does know and probably just doesn't have much control over the Knox County school board and administration. Title IX has had a positive impact on girls' sports overall, but the school administration in Knoxville seem inclined to punish both boys and girls sports at the middle school level. Most sports are "club" only and development is dependent on having solid clubs in town. Volleyball, as a club sport is more expensive than other sports and perhaps this is why it has lagged behind the other sports from a club perspective. There seems to be a growing critical mass of interest in volleyball here and perhaps this will help manage the cost along with some competition between clubs.

Not to pitch club, in general or any particular club, but it appears that K2 has substantially increased participation at the middle school age groups with numerous successful teams last year at the 11, 12 and 13 year old age groups. This should help.

I do understand BUT being a school program gives the sport access more months of the year. I would say that the possible problem is coaches supplements in Middle schools. IMO, parents and students are going to have to ask why most of the rest of the state has the sport and the Knoxville area does not.

This seems like starting all over as there are a few other areas in the State that are out of sync also. I can understand why K2 is promoting since she may have club participation and a number of schools with no where fro the players to play. I also understand her price being high when part of it can be absorbed in MS participation at schools. Her price is high. I am not here to promote club either. I am here to promote VB wherever quality play can be gotten. If rural play is being successfully played, why can't intercity and counties around metropolitan areas be promoted, especially around a city that is athletically efficient as Knoxville. Hope its not the football mentality.