Unaka vs. Hampton Rivalry...It's the Money, Stupid

krichunaka

Was amazed at last night's Unaka football game to experience the now county-wide ramifications of Ranger head Coach Acie Ensor's decision to temporarily forego the Hampton football game. Many visitors to this site have bashed the Unaka program, it's players, coaches, our board members, School Superintendent, etc.. But before commenting further, THANK YOU JOHN FINE for standing firm in the face of official and political pressure, and allowing your head football coach to do what he truly feels is in the best interest of the kids, expecially under their present miserable circumstances. They are suffering not only the blow after blow effect of losing to bigger, stronger, and better teams; but just as nauseating, they're being harrassed in the hallways and on the internet chat lines by those who should be supporting them most, their fellow Unaka High School athletes.

Those in the know are very concerned about the "financial stress" this will cause to the overall Unaka athletic budget. Unaka's girls softball coach, Ronnie Hicks, estimated that as much as 11,000 dollars could be lost if Hampton decides to return the favor, and chooses not to play Unaka in basketball. This figure probably takes into account both the football and basketball games. Again, little regard for the well-being of the football players, which is most personally offensive.

For those who feel strongly that you have to "Play Up" to get better. Well, Rangers Coach Donald Ensor has proven that in basketball this is arguable true, though many teams have fared quite well by playing other teams their equal. Unaka's baseball team took so many beatings last season at the hands of some of the area's best AAA and AAAA teams that for a while they didn't even resemble a real baseball team. Luckily they managed to get it together just enough to salvage a district tournament championship, but lost in a Regional tournament that they probably should've won.

The opinion that the Rangers should be playing all the local teams, rather than drive hundreds of miles to get a win is probably the most un-thought out complaint to date. Using that logic suggests that Carson Newman - a remarkable local success football story in its own right - should simply drive forty or so miles to Knoxville on their way to yet another smaller division national title. Ask Coach Sparks, how smart is that? And isn't it St. John's University that plays in the very powerful Big East Conference in basketball, but opts to play in a lower classification in football? St. John's wants no part of playing Miami or Virginia Tech in football, which from here appears to be very sound reasoning on their part.

Bigger baseball teams can strike you out, catch or throw you out, or out hit you. Bigger basketball teams can out rebound, out shoot, out run you, and even occasionally they'll dunk over you. But Bigger footall teams will break your bones and tear your ligaments. Injuries do occur against equal competition, but it's more likely against Bigger, better teams. It's a two hour whipping that bruises and batters your players to the point where they can only hope that the other team will substitute second, and even third or fourth string players so the mercy killing will end.

As to those who'd rather lose to the local "Rival" than to lose their pride, please read the part about bones and ligaments, AGAIN. Kim Richardson

PRINCIPAL

Kim i totally argee with everything that you have said about the Unaka Rangers Football teams situation. I don't see why this has anything to do with the other sports at Unaka High School. Coach Mike Ensor has done a terrific job as the coach this year. You can tell by the way the Rangers are playing that they have improved from last year, because they have been getting more yards and have been putting more points on the board. If people are going to make fun of kids that go out and give their all in any sports they are a poor excuse for a fan anyway. To the kids who play football, keep your heads up because your day will come.

[Edited by coachtdog on 9-30-02 8:21A]