Knoxville Volleyball

K2ruth

I have seen most of the area teams as they toon up for this season which starts Monday. Last night I watched Bearden and Anderson County.

I think Bearden will win their district. Catholic is struggling, Farragut has alot of questions, and Bearden has some size.

The Karns middles get a lot of well earned press, but the Bearden Middle is better. She made a huge improvement in club this season. She is more athletic, and a better college prospect than the Karns middles (both of whom will play small college ball) and a great person.

I was stunned at how much bigger AC seemed than last year. They wore Bearden out down the stretch. They make some needless errors, but they are the most talented team in the area. Karns will be better early, but I don't see them improving alot over the year. AC will be fantastic with a season to come together.

Maryville will be a question. They have the talent, but not the intensity.

Oak Ridge will not be in the mix.

Right now the top 4 are AC, Karns, Bearden and Farragut in that order.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen most of the area teams as they toon up for this season which starts Monday. Last night I watched Bearden and Anderson County.

I think Bearden will win their district. Catholic is struggling, Farragut has alot of questions, and Bearden has some size.

The Karns middles get a lot of well earned press, but the Bearden Middle is better. She made a huge improvement in club this season. She is more athletic, and a better college prospect than the Karns middles (both of whom will play small college ball) and a great person.

I was stunned at how much bigger AC seemed than last year. They wore Bearden out down the stretch. They make some needless errors, but they are the most talented team in the area. Karns will be better early, but I don't see them improving alot over the year. AC will be fantastic with a season to come together.

Maryville will be a question. They have the talent, but not the intensity.

Oak Ridge will not be in the mix.

Right now the top 4 are AC, Karns, Bearden and Farragut in that order.

K2ruth,

I'm glad that you've come around to my contention that Bearden would be tough to deal with. Their young players will make them better than last year which was pretty good.

I wouldn't completely count out Oak Ridge. They may actually have the best middle in the area. She is very powerful and tall and has good hands. They also have a good setter and a couple of other weapons. Very tall team and better conditioned than last year. If their passers come around, they will be tough. Right now, I agree with you that they are 3rd in the district.

Catholic replaces a lot of players, but I think that they will be very competitive in the district.

Until AC beats Karns, I will have to give Karns the nod, but I guess thats why they play the matches.

All of the teams in Knoxville need to get better, because I still think that District 3 and 4 are behind the best districts in the state. The teams need dogfights match in and match out to develop some toughness to compete at state. Right now, no team in Knoxville has what it takes, IMO.

Not sure about all of those predictions but one thing I am sure of and that's the Kil, I believe, which is on the 23 and 24th. If I'm not mistaken its at Bearden. However, I do need a schedule of play so I can post it becasuse its a "hot ticket" in the Knoxville Area. Kil means the Knoxville Interscholastic League and really a combination of Schools who will try to get bragging rights for this years play. You cwan post it on here OR PHargis@aol.com and I will format it for the Tournament.

This is the one that includes all of these schools that had a fruit basket turnover of coaches and the one in which answers the questions of who moved where and what position are they playing. Seriously, for those who are Volleyball addicts and keep up closely with the great play, this is one you want to see. August 23-24. I do need the schedule.

Edited by PHargis

Wooooooo K2R, I saw the Bearden and AC match too. Great battle at the net baby and AC has athletes all over the floor. Bearden has a very solid middle that plays all rotations and she can put the wood to it from anywhere on the floor.

But the important thing is I was the prettiest thing in the gym!!!

Nature Boy Out

As a Knoxville Area Update, I understand that Farragut and Bearden were undefeated in their matches at KIL. Obviously, they didn't play each other. Catholic was 5-1, losing a close match to Bearden. Halls and CAK also had winning records.

Karns, Blount County schools and Anderson County schools did not play in the KIL, but have played some matches that count for the record books. Karns swept both Heritage and Maryville and appear to be the class of the region, as expected. Meanwhile, both Maryville and Heritage defeated Oak Ridge and also defeated Anderson County, which will surprise some. In other matches, Oak Ridge lost in straight sets to Sevier County.

I don't know any specifics about injuries and so forth, but right now, it would appear that Karns is the team to beat for the entire region. It also seems that District 4 is developing some depth with Farragut, Bearden, Catholic, Maryville and Heritage. I have also heard that William Blount is improved, but have not seen any results for them. Intense district play may allow the winner of district 4 to compete with Karns at the regions, which competes in a district with less quality depth.

Any first hand observations of the play so far would be appreciated.

I should have given an earlier update!

I saw CAK and Farragut the other night and they had Farragut beat. I still think Bearden is the class of the district.

I didn't report on this but it will explain why AC was flat against Maryville. When I saw that they had lost I spoke to a couple of the parents and found out that there was a horrific accident that day involving 3 of the girls classmates which resulted in multiple serious injuries and a fatality. In a small community like AC where everyone knows everyone it had a devestating effect on the girls. Grief counselors were brought to the school and this was going on up till the match started. The parents knew these boys well. The fatality involved a close friend of one of the coaches family. Don't read anything into it.

Last night AC handled CAK easily and will play Catholic on T which will be a good test.

It is Karns and AC as the best, looks like Bearden, Maryville and Catholic next.

I should have given an earlier update!

I still think Bearden is the class of the district.

When I saw that they had lost I spoke to a couple of the parents and found out that there was a horrific accident that day involving 3 of the girls classmates which resulted in multiple serious injuries and a fatality.

Last night AC handled CAK easily and will play Catholic on T which will be a good test.

It is Karns and AC as the best, looks like Bearden, Maryville and Catholic next.

Sorry to hear about fatalities in the AC community. Update: Karns, Maryville, Oak Ridge and Heritage played right before the Maryville/Alcoa Football game at Heritage last week. What I saw: Karns was all over everyone. Scores of 25-9, 25-11 etc. Karns did not play Oak Ridge but the way the Karns team took out Maryville and Maryville split with Oak Ridge they will have to pull it out of a hat to beat Karns. Karns has multiple hitters and defense too. Oak Ridge had a few strong players; they loose one to overseas studies very soon. However we all had a night of football; lots of action to the end.

Good post Jumper! Karns is the team to beat this season.

Tomorrow AC and Catholic play at Catholic. I think this is an important early match for both teams. Catholic and Bearden are playing the best in their district. Now that I have seen them, and Farragut and Maryville play I think Bearden and Catholic will win the district pretty easily. Likewise I see Karns and AC winning their district. Tomorrow night will let us know how the 2 districts will stack up against each other.

Funny!

K2 is nothing more than the new voice of Catholic.

I agree that Catholic is playing well. Farragut is awful, and Catholic and Bearden will win their district easily.

Oak Ridge is ready to explode. I still think we can win our district. We have as much talent as anyone, more than most. We miss coach Smith.

Our new coach is having a hard time adjusting to the high school game. I thought that with her club experience she would hit the ground running, but it is taking her some time. Still, we think that once she gets some things figured out with our talent we will win our district.

K2 we will see how well your Catholic team fairs tonight. I predict AC in 3!

And thats K2bad!

Oak Ridge and Farragut are middle of the road volleyball teams as of now. Baylor destroyed Farragut at OR. Oak Ridge looked very slow and tired, At times a little not interested! AC looks like AC at this time of the year. Webb and AC looked alot alike with Webb winning a close one. AC has a bench load of players on that team. Coach rotated most of the girls on her bench, AC simply could wear you down in 5 games.Looks like AC will be the team for years to come. I think Karns and AC will go back to state this year. Karns doesnt play well up against biggger stronger teams, AC has simply been there and they understand what tournment volleyball is. I saw the club coaches this past weekend simply looking like club coaches. Its good when you have all superstars on a team but high school Vball is putting a team together with only a few superstars. As of now ITS Karns, AC, Maryville, and the rest just follow.