Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Here we go again with another high school football season in Tennessee. Memphis will probably have at least one marquee match-up on any given week-end ... but it is usually more then one and sometimes it's hard to choose what game you may want to go see. I love this forum for the simple reason that we can share out points of view and experiences with the local teams. That being said, I'm going to try to do what I did last year and give us something to talk about each week like we did last year. I know I enjoyed it a great deal.

Soooooooo .... here we go!

Everybody, you know how we do this ... I'll list some games that I believe to be big games ... If I have ommited some ... feel free to add it in. Then we prognositcate ... that's where the fun really begins. (It's ok to be a homer ... I know I am when it comes to Whitehaven) Everybody ... let's have some fun shall we?

Fiday, August 20, 2010:

Melrose @ CBHS

Bartlett @ Bolton

Craigmont @ Kirby

Southwind @ Lake Coromont

Saturday, August 21, 2010:

White Station @ Briarcrest

Millington vs MUS @ CBHS

Well well well ... what do we have here? Man ... these are some good games indeed! Our cup overfloweth. I know where I will be, and that is at the Whitehaven Classic where I will hopefully watch all 3 contests and see Fairley, Mitchell, and Whitehaven play. Then again ... that's a looooooong day! Anywho ... my picks.

Friday Night:

CBHS is 8-1 since the Bridges has started. I'm going with them in a thriller ... 24 - 21

Bolton in a smash mouth game .... 10 - 7

Kirby outscores Craigmont tossing the ball all over the field .... 28 - 21

I don't know anything about LC ... But I hear they are good ... I'mma be a homer ... SW wins 21 - 17

Saturday:

Man ... this one is tough ... but I'm going to go with the 2010 6A champ and say WSHS wins ... 28 - 21

Millington has a new coaching staff ... but, this is a 26-0 MUS team we are talking about so ... MUS wins 35 -21

Well ... that's it for me. Jump in everybody ... the water is FINE!

Edited by kwc

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone attend the Wooddale/Central game last night? I'm curious about Central. I've read enough to know that they have improved significantly. I know that yesterdays game started with everybody having a clean slate ... but those stats don't lie. Deunte Strickland, the Central RB, had 187 yards on 26 carries for an average of 7.19 ypc. Jovon Robinson for Wooddale had 177 yards on 22 carries for an avergae of 8.04 ypc. Those are impressive numbers.

I saw Jovon last year when they played Whitehaven ... I know he's special. I wasn't aware of Deunte however.

According to the 'Most Wanted' article in the "CA" ... Central has Cameron Clear, a 6'-5", 265 lb. OL/TE whereas, Wooddale has Ryan Mack @ OL, 6'-4", 310 lb and Kevin Green @ LB/DB, 6'-1", 210 lb.

I'm keeping my eye on Central. I already expected Wooddale to be good based upon last years improvement.

Being that I have not seen or read about most of these teams yet, most of my picks are just based on their performances in past years and my recollection of their style of play or system.

Fiday, August 20, 2010:

Melrose @ CBHS- CBHS by 7 or more

Bartlett @ Bolton- Bolton by 7 or more

Craigmont @ Kirby- Craigmont by 6 or more

Southwind @ Lake Coromont- Lake Coromont

Saturday, August 21, 2010:

White Station @ Briarcrest- Too close to call- I may attend this one. Okay, WS, in a tight one.

Millington vs MUS @ CBHS- MUS by 10 or more.

Edited by fourthree

I may have given some teams bulletin board material last season. I wanna talk about the other games mainly the Melrose/CBHS game but we play both of those schools... :unsure:

I understand completely. I bet I know where I can find some Whitehaven coaches come Friday night ... LOL. On the same token ... I bet I know where I can find some CBHS and Melrose coaches come Saturday night!

fourthree and BigSneaky ... thanks for your prognostications. I hope we can get others to follow suit. I will try to get the 'Big Games in Memphis' topic up sooner then on a Friday to get more people an opportunity to participate. I know some of you guys can't prognosticate for various reasons ... but those of us who can ... jump on in!

Edited by kwc

Here is the Memphis scores from the Commercial appeal in Memphis

Bartlett 27, Bolton 7

Brentwood Aca. 48, Kingsbury 38

Brighton 56, Raleigh-Egypt 6

Christian Brothers 13, Melrose 6

Craigmont 33, Kirby 18

First Assembly 23, Douglass 7

Lake Coromorant 23, Southwind 14

Marshall Aca. 43, Rossville Christian 0

Munford 33, Fayette-Ware 0

Neshoba Central 43, DeSoto Central 6