HALLS VS SEVIER COUNTY

pxtra2010

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV you are right but my point was we already play 3 6a schools why play another?

I understand. The contracts for those games were done before the TSSAA tweaked the playoff system - again, so it's hard to make judgment on them right now. It will be interesting to see if Halls continues playing Sevier County or another bigger school beginning next year.

The issue is that for a 5A or 6A school it isn't easy to find a non district game against a school of equal or lesser size, and you have to play decent opponents since even your non district games now have a bearing on who does and doesn't make the playoffs.

Halls is a baseball and band school. If it wasn't for the band no one would come watch football and if it wasn't for baseball no one would care about anything else. Last week the only Halls people cheered were band fans. Interception nothing, fumble recovery nothing, flute and bells heck yea. SC by as many as they want. Somebody see if they can play fall baseball.

ScrappyCoco...not sure how you come to his conclusion but you are WAY off base. Guess you never really followed a Halls football game as their fans travel well. Band? Really? You are obviously a band fan which says it all in its self. Let me guess...your next comment would be that if it weren't for the band there would be no football team. Go back to tooting your flute and playing your bells and stay off the REAL SPORTS boards.

Halls is a baseball and band school. If it wasn't for the band no one would come watch football and if it wasn't for baseball no one would care about anything else. Last week the only Halls people cheered were band fans. Interception nothing, fumble recovery nothing, flute and bells heck yea. SC by as many as they want. Somebody see if they can play fall baseball.

I find this pretty hard to believe. I see where you are coming from - the same argument could have been made during the late 90s when Powell failed to make the playoffs 3 times out of 4 years (1997, 1999, 2000). The stadium would be less than half-full after halftime, with all of the band parents leaving early. However, when you have a team that is competitive (which Halls and Powell typically are), I'm not sure how you can say that Halls is suddenly a band school and not a football school. Talent comes in cycles, and right now Halls is just going through a "down" cycle.

10 years ago, Halls had a band half its current size, and they weren't very good. I agree that Halls now has a great band, but just like football, band talent cycles as well. We had the same challenges in the Powell band, drum corps, and the Ohio State Marching Band. Devilsden and pxtra, the marching band wouldn't exist in its current state without football, but it would still continue. There are marching band competitions throughout the fall, plus drum and bugle corps (DCI) does just fine, and they have nothing to do with football. Remember, marching bands existed long before football was invented.

The Halls faithful just needs to continue to support the football program. Things could be a lot worse (Karns comes to mind).

Edited by osunut2

Good, glad that has woken up the message boards. There is still a little fight in Halls fans. They are just on life support. I agree talent comes in cycles, but that cycle has been good at Halls the last three years. Look at the talent in that school in the last three years. I remember all those kids growing up and they could play. Once high school rolled around it seems as if no one took advantage of that talent. I have no clue how to play a musical instrument so no I am not a band member, ever a band member, or have a child that plays in the band. I am just saying maybe you should support the only thing that is still good at that school. If people didn't have to come watch that powerhouse offense you may have even more ticket sales to see the band at half :roflol: . Don't get bent out of shape, I am just stating what I saw. I think I will go watch a real game tonight with Powell and Fulton, again SC by as many as they want.

I agree talent comes in cycles, but that cycle has been good at Halls the last three years. Look at the talent in that school in the last three years. I remember all those kids growing up and they could play. Once high school rolled around it seems as if no one took advantage of that talent.

Agreed, Scrappy!

Hope the Devils can win tonight but I well understand that they're decided underdogs.

Good, glad that has woken up the message boards. There is still a little fight in Halls fans. They are just on life support. I agree talent comes in cycles, but that cycle has been good at Halls the last three years. Look at the talent in that school in the last three years. I remember all those kids growing up and they could play. Once high school rolled around it seems as if no one took advantage of that talent. I have no clue how to play a musical instrument so no I am not a band member, ever a band member, or have a child that plays in the band. I am just saying maybe you should support the only thing that is still good at that school. If people didn't have to come watch that powerhouse offense you may have even more ticket sales to see the band at half :roflol: . Don't get bent out of shape, I am just stating what I saw. I think I will go watch a real game tonight with Powell and Fulton, again SC by as many as they want.

Who cares about the band? Most of the band parents leave after they see their child march on and off the field. This is not a true football fan. They are "band fans" and have no place for discussion on this board. It is stupid to bring the band in on a football message board. Yes, we may not be the most talented, and we defiantly are not the best coached. Rain, sleet, tornados, hot as heck heat; I've never left a game early and I never will.

Any word on the final?

31 - 0 Sevier County over Halls

Sloppy, Sloppy game by all parties involved. Bears committed 13 penalties for over a 150 yards with one turnover. Not sharp at all. The defense played great but just like last week's game against WB it's hard to guage their performance based upon the limited offense of their opponent.

As for Halls, they have a lot of work to do. I believe they had something like 7 yards of total offense and three turnovers thru 3 quarters. looked disjointed and out of sync from the get go. Hope the O'Loughlin kid is OK.

After two weeks of play still don't really know what kind of team SC has. Both WB and Halls are down this year.