Ooltewah to 5A?

Indian

There were some interesting numbers on the Hamilton County Department Education site, http://www.hcde.org/media-room/hcde-in-the-news/enrollment-up-by-500-students.

Those are 5 days counts but they're probably not much different than the 10 day counts the TSSAA will use. By those numbers, Ooltewah dropped 35 percent, well below the range to drop into the Class 5A playoff group. They would still be Class AAA for the regular season in football and in other sports. If students who would be attending East Hamilton are instead shifted in the next couple of years to Ooltewah (a possible plan, to relieve EH overcrowding) Ooltewah could go back to 6A but it looks like you may see them in 5A next season.

A few more topics, Brainerd has quite a few less than last year. Their total would be similar to current 3A playoff schools but if they go by the method used in previous mid-classification periods, Brainerd would have had to also drop 20 percent and they haven't.

East Hamilton, by these numbers, could go either way. Class AA or AAA with 1,030 in 9-12. No doubt they'd like to remain AA for all sports for two more years as they build up their programs.

Signal Mountain with a little over 600 in 9-12 should go to Class AA, and 3A in football playoffs as mentioned in the small school topics.

It's a shame Hixson has dropped 30 percent in just a couple of years. Like Brainerd their 709 number is low enough for 3A playoffs but they didn't have a 20 percent drop, they actually gained 10. Look for them in 3A football at the end of the four-year classification period, though. They're probably better suited for it now anyway.

None of the other schools looked to have any chance of moving. Red Bank lost just four from last year and looks to have leveled off at around 850. Lookout Valley may dip under 200 if they keep losing students, no wonder they just have about 25 players. If budget woes continue there may be talk again (which I heard a long time ago) of closing the 9-12 and shifting those students to Howard. It would be a shame for the community if that happened.

Edited by Indian

My personal opinion is Hamilton County has to many High Schools. They have been trying to make all the schools AA in size. EH and Signal will be the new dominant force in sports in the Hamilton county area for several years as they continue to grow. There are quite a few Hamilton county kids now going to school in Bradley county for various reason's. Allot of the parent's cite gang problems and violence in allot of the Hamilton schools.

Edited by volntn

I don't think Ooltewah will lose any more. In fact, they will start to grow again as East Hamilton gets rezoned sending more students back to Ooltewah. Several of the negatives about Ooltewah have gone and now the remaining student body is happy about the current changes. The new principal has brought a bright spot back to a school that was in much need of new blood. With a new football coach that cares about ALL players will keep the athletes in the school. Their basketball and baseball program look to be on the rise with quality coaching in both of those sports. I have talked with several parents and the buzz is something I have not seen at that school in a long time. Word is spreading and they will soon be back to overcrowding. If I am not mistaking... that school was only built to hold around 1,200 students and they are still over that total by a couple of hundred students.

As far as East Hamilton, there are so many new subdivisions popping up in that area that they are doomed to be overcrowded. I think Hamilton County needs to review the policies in many Florida counties where they make developers pay a certain amount of money to the local schools with every property they develop. They were having similar problems and this slow down the development and took care of the added burden to the schools.

As far as shutting down Lookout Valley and rerouting them to Howard... don't think but a handful of students would change. Most would just find a way to attend South Pittsburg or start attending a private school. I think developers should be given an incentive to develop in that direction to help replenish an area that has less upcoming students.

I don't think Ooltewah will lose any more. In fact, they will start to grow again as East Hamilton gets rezoned sending more students back to Ooltewah. Several of the negatives about Ooltewah have gone and now the remaining student body is happy about the current changes. The new principal has brought a bright spot back to a school that was in much need of new blood. With a new football coach that cares about ALL players will keep the athletes in the school. Their basketball and baseball program look to be on the rise with quality coaching in both of those sports. I have talked with several parents and the buzz is something I have not seen at that school in a long time. Word is spreading and they will soon be back to overcrowding. If I am not mistaking... that school was only built to hold around 1,200 students and they are still over that total by a couple of hundred students.

As far as East Hamilton, there are so many new subdivisions popping up in that area that they are doomed to be overcrowded. I think Hamilton County needs to review the policies in many Florida counties where they make developers pay a certain amount of money to the local schools with every property they develop. They were having similar problems and this slow down the development and took care of the added burden to the schools.

As far as shutting down Lookout Valley and rerouting them to Howard... don't think but a handful of students would change. Most would just find a way to attend South Pittsburg or start attending a private school. I think developers should be given an incentive to develop in that direction to help replenish an area that has less upcoming students.

Edited by GOOSESDAD