South Panola @ MUS

BigSneaky

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Can the Owls repeat last years upset victory over the Tigers of Batesville? The tape I've seen of both makes it seem unlikely, but I think MUS can make it a game if they execute in typical fashion and catch a few breaks.

(This is a re-post of my comments -- made on the Mississippi board:)

South Panola 28 --- MUS 13

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------

I'm sticking with my initial prediction of a mere 15-point South Panola victory, moreso out of wishful thinking (that MUS does not get blown out) than anything else... in all honesty. My gut is telling me that South Panola will defeat Memphis University School by 3 or 4 TD's. Lord knows...I hope I'm wrong on this one!

While I know that MUS is down this year (especially vs the run) and has fewer game-changers, I remain very hopeful that MUS' top-flight coaching staff will have figured out a way to slow down South Panola's freight-train of a running game and, as a result, keep this game respectable.

From an offensive perspective, I believe that MUS' passing game will enable them to move the chains and keep South Panola off-balance enough... enough to find a way to manufacture some points. If this indeed materializes (particularly the passing game), then do NOT expect to see MUS fall into the viscious trap of becoming predictable and one-dimensional; MUS will likely look to exploit opportunities in the RUNNING game, even moreso. This should help slow the game down and keep SP's offense off the field.

Now, will all of the perfect planning and scheming translate to actual results on the field, and enable MUS to (somehow) outscore South Panola.... pull off the upset of the year?

Frankly, I doubt it.....BUT, hey -- that's why they play the game!

Anything is possible.

Go MUS. Defeat South Panola!!!!!

------------------------------------------------

P.S.. Many of you Tennessee HS fans probably heard about this final score, from yesterday's game. I watched it LIVE, via streaming internet:

Final:..... South Panola 65 ---- Colquitt, GA 35

Key highlights:

-- South Panola's running game simply overwhelmed (that's putting it nicely) Colquitt's defense to the tune of 439 yards, including 276 by Quen Griffin.....The beastly 215-pound Griffin scored six touchdowns, on runs of 8, 5, 75, 15, 77 and 1 yards. He LITERALLY ran over and through Colquitt County tacklers throughout the entire game!!

-- Colquitt's QB torched SP on 22-of-37 passes for 280 yards, 90% via screen passes and short passes out into the flat. The other passes were those quick-hitting slant routes.

(This is a re-post of my comments -- made on the Mississippi board:)

While I know that MUS is down this year (especially vs the run) and has fewer game-changers, I remain very hopeful that MUS' top-flight coaching staff will have figured out a way to slow down South Panola's freight-train of a running game and, as a result, keep this game respectable.

If MUS is considered to be down this year, I am sure there are a lot of coaches out there that still be envious of the Owls "down" status.

I agree that this will be a tough game for MUS to win, even tougher than last in my opinion. Win or lose this game, they are still going to be one of the favorites to compete for a state championship. It is easy to say a down year because they have set the bar so high for themselves the past two years. Anything less than that seems not up to par, but the reality is that they play such a loaded schedule that they could lose to a team like SP, and then still be the best team in D2 AA or the state even.

I have been trying to come up with a prediction for this game, but keep having a hard time. Talent usually wins out in the end, but the MUS consistently has defied that logic in the past. And that is not to say that MUS lacks talent, bc they definitely have some, especially on the OL, but SP churns out talented football players like its going out of style.

I really hope MUS can pull an upset here, but I seriously doubt it. S. Panola's rushing attack will just be too much to handle. Last year's MUS team was fantastic and beating S. Panola last year was NOT an upset. This year, it would be. My prediction:

Tigers 38

Owls 21

regardless of what happens in this game...from among all of the impressive out-of-state victories put up by the private schools in TN--namely MBA and BA--I don't think there is any more impressive win than MUS' victory last year over S. Panola.

I do agree and good luck to the Owls Friday night! :thumb:

Edited by zebra99

regardless of what happens in this game...from among all of the impressive out-of-state victories put up by the private schools in TN--namely MBA and BA--I don't think there is any more impressive win than MUS' victory last year over S. Panola.

BA over Pascagoula and MBA over Moeller, Trinity, and Bolles also come to mind.....

Edited by OmahaVol

BA over Pascagoula and MBA over Moeller, Trinity, and Bolles also come to mind.....

actually, that would have been precisely my short list.

I believe BA beat Montgomery (AL) Lee when Derrick Lassic was on the team as well.

That Pascagoula team of course featured Terrell Buckley and Shane Matthews, coached by Shane Matthews' dad.

If MUS is considered to be down this year, I am sure there are a lot of coaches out there that still be envious of the Owls "down" status.

I agree that this will be a tough game for MUS to win, even tougher than last in my opinion. Win or lose this game, they are still going to be one of the favorites to compete for a state championship. It is easy to say a down year because they have set the bar so high for themselves the past two years. Anything less than that seems not up to par, but the reality is that they play such a loaded schedule that they could lose to a team like SP, and then still be the best team in D2 AA or the state even.

I have been trying to come up with a prediction for this game, but keep having a hard time. Talent usually wins out in the end, but the MUS consistently has defied that logic in the past. And that is not to say that MUS lacks talent, bc they definitely have some, especially on the OL, but SP churns out talented football players like its going out of style.

I couldn't agree with you more, CheckerboardEZ, regarding expectations.

I definitely should have clarified my comments by adding.... "down, by MUS standards!" :thumb:

Edited by TraderB

I really wish some of you would look at the threads on the 3A/4A boards (“Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0†in particular). It’s really – well, bizarre. Here’s a summary, with some poetic license used to get the point across:

DII schools go out-of-state to play other schools because they don’t want to play in-state powers.

A DII school that does not want to entertain the notion of traveling five hours across the state in consecutive years to play a school that does not show an interest in entertaining a home-and-home series shows its yellowness by scheduling home-and-home games with national powers an hour away in incredibly strong football states.

DII schools have not proven they can beat in-state public powers.

DII scheduling of only Olive Branch and South Panola this year negates all previous years of out-of-state scheduling due to lack of volume.

When all avenues are exhausted, use the “R†word. It’s always the asterisk that renders all other arguments moot.

I tell myself every year not to get sucked it, but it’s hard not to. It’s a shame that responding to a question is perceived as snobbery because the answer doesn’t please the asker.

Someone please throw me a life preserver.

As for this game, I am behind the Tennessee team, yellow or not, snobs or not.

Well, I see brbr has joined the party over there. Come on folks, get in on the fun.

Here's another post that demonstrates the futility and short-sightedness of these debates:

Futility and Short-sightedness

Two observations:

1) DII proponents generally give laundry lists of examples and patterns to support their argument; DII detractors cherry-pick (note how the spanking of BA in 1989 doesn't reference the fact that, a year earlier, BA did the first spanking of AHS). The cherry-picking shows up again on the national ranking reference - MUS was far and away the highest ranked team in Tennessee last year, yet arguments were still made against them as the top team, and any disagreements by the DII side were met with much vitriol. But now, with AHS being the only ranked team in the state, all arguments of any other team being the best are null and void (and hey, AHS may indeed be tops in Tennessee so far, but I don't know anyone who could fairly say that is a cut-and-dried truth).

2) It is rather pitiful that one's hatred for a certain school or class of schools - or perhaps hate of the threat that a certain school may put itself in a position to be looked upon more favorably in a comparison - would keep someone from rooting for a home-state team against an OOS opponent. For all the exclusionary stereotypes placed on the DII crowd, I don't know of any examples on these boards of DII fans rooting against a DI school in an OOS matchup. Pretty darn sad if you ask me.

Of course, said poster is making references later in the thread to "spankin' monkey", so what else should we expect.

Go Owls. You have those without an axe to grind behind you.

Edited by rollredroll