Week 3

MVM

Ok, I'm going to bend a bit here. First off, they are all very good schools. It may be that Baylor accepts a broader range of academic student than GPS but all these schools are top notch in meeting the needs of academically minded student-athletes. Just as someone shouldn't choose a school based on soccer, don't choose a school only on any certain reputation, scholastic or otherwise. These schools are all very different. Some kids will thrive in any of them, some kids won't. There is no right answer and you can tell this by seeing children from the same family in different schools. The private schools may offer more opportunity (hence the $$) but a kid who wants to succeed will do well wherever.

In the end, the parents are much more important than the school. I'll stop here and get back to soccer.

We could call tonight's game between GPS and Oak Ridge the "Academic Bowl". Two of the State's best academic programs, public and private, are playing. I am sincere in making this point. I think it's great that these terrific academic schools have terrific soccer programs as well.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But back to soccer - can anyone give any more details on college placement help from GPS and Baylor? Not really looking for D1 (really would like my kids to remain to keep th student in front of athlete) - but good academic schools.

Each school will help your daughter equally in finding a soccer school. College coaches look more at the clubs than school ball as far as soccer ability is concerned. Soddy-Daisy, Notre Dame, Ooltewah, they are all the same if you are looking for a soccer scholarship, so save your money if soccer is what you are banking on.

Each school will help your daughter equally in finding a soccer school. College coaches look more at the clubs than school ball as far as soccer ability is concerned. Soddy-Daisy, Notre Dame, Ooltewah, they are all the same if you are looking for a soccer scholarship, so save your money if soccer is what you are banking on.

I agree that college's couldn't care less the name of the school, and whether it is public or private, etc. However, the Head Coach's connections, experience and knowledge play a HUGE part in the recruitment process. Some coaches are willing to spend hours on the phone, some are not. Some coaches have significant connections to the college game, some do not. I know of a few girls who had zero interest from college coaches through club, but still ended up signing a college scholarship. I've also heard of parents asking for help from coaches at other schools because they weren't getting anywhere with the coach at their daughter's school. Take it for what it's worth, but the high school coach does matter, so therefore the school you go to matters.

Edited by cp7

I agree that college's couldn't care less the name of the school, and whether it is public or private, etc. However, the Head Coach's connections, experience and knowledge play a HUGE part in the recruitment process. Some coaches are willing to spend hours on the phone, some are not. Some coaches have significant connections to the college game, some do not. I know of a few girls who had zero interest from college coaches through club, but still ended up signing a college scholarship. I've also heard of parents asking for help from coaches at other schools because they weren't getting anywhere with the coach at their daughter's school. Take it for what it's worth, but the high school coach does matter, so therefore the school you go to matters.

I don't think anyone disputes that the more contacts that will help a player in recruiting, the better off the player will be. The question is does playing for a certain high school make any difference in the players chances to get a scholarship. The answer is that it does not. College coaches could care less who they play for during high school. College coaches are busy with their own seasons to bother with scouting high school teams, so they go to college showcase events, tournaments, etc., in order to see as many players as possible in as short amount of time as possible. There may be college coaches out there that give scholarships to players sight unseen, and I just am not aware of them. Maybe they exist. And of course a high school coach calling on behalf of a player will help. But if the player does not play for a club, the chances of getting a scholarship are pretty close to zero. Conversely, if a player chooses not to play high school, chances for a scholarship are not diminished. Some may argue chances are enhanced depending on what the player is doing training-wise.

Edited by ChattanoogaCannon

Maybe for local colleges...a BIG maybe