South vs. Gate City. 2010

firstrebel81

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weeks game was inspiring. I guess the largest improvement was the O & D line. And it was a large improvement. As well, I think we saw intelligent coaching decisions. I would like to see the installation of the power I for those special situations. And I still would like to see Jordan get the ball on the outside. Heath was more accurate. Now our WR's just have to hold on to the ball.

Tennessee schools should always beat Virginia schools, especially early in the season. Virginia doesn't allow spring practice and Tennessee allows several scrimmages as compared to 2 for VA schools. That being said, it should be a closer game this year with what we have returning. Hopefully we'll have Clark back full speed this week. He's not the entire team, but having him out there is a major plus. Hopefully both teams will come out of this one healthy. Should be a huge crowd.

Hard to get an early read on this one. some early observations: Gate City has a huge O-line with a double RB threat this year with Clark and Vaughn. A small, Sophomore QB with some development of a passing game, completing 10 passes in the first 2 games, a lot for run oriented Gate City. Gate City defense was tough in 1st half against a tough Richlands team and took advantage of a freshman QB for Tazewell lby picking off 4 passes. Can't put too much stock in the Richlands game because Gate City played without Dusty Clark in the backfield.

The Blue Devils probably learned a lot about the spread from last years game and should serve them well in preparation for the game this year. They should be much more balanced offensively with 2 Sr. RB threats and 1 of them a former QB capable of throwing the ball on an option pass. .Word is we will not get a look at the Tazewell film. Apparently Coach Houseright does not want the Rebels to get a good look at his retooled offense at full strength. This shapes up to be a good one but a similar physical style just presented by Boone. South needs to defend the run and make the Sophomore turn it over in the passing game.

Hard to get an early read on this one. some early observations: Gate City has a huge O-line with a double RB threat this year with Clark and Vaughn. A small, Sophomore QB with some development of a passing game, completing 10 passes in the first 2 games, a lot for run oriented Gate City. Gate City defense was tough in 1st half against a tough Richlands team and took advantage of a freshman QB for Tazewell lby picking off 4 passes. Can't put too much stock in the Richlands game because Gate City played without Dusty Clark in the backfield.

The Blue Devils probably learned a lot about the spread from last years game and should serve them well in preparation for the game this year. They should be much more balanced offensively with 2 Sr. RB threats and 1 of them a former QB capable of throwing the ball on an option pass. .Word is we will not get a look at the Tazewell film. Apparently Coach Houseright does not want the Rebels to get a good look at his retooled offense at full strength. This shapes up to be a good one but a similar physical style just presented by Boone. South needs to defend the run and make the Sophomore turn it over in the passing game.

GC and most of SW Vir play a different style football than we do over here.Don't take their QB for granted he is a hold back ( as are most of the Blue Devils) and is the same age of our juniors and has been throwing the football all of his football life. I don't think film sharing is done in SW VIR much of any where. They will be tough and hard nosed but will not match up in speed and depth. IF South doesn't get the big head it will be a blow out.45 to 14 GO REBS

GC and most of SW Vir play a different style football than we do over here.Don't take their QB for granted he is a hold back ( as are most of the Blue Devils) and is the same age of our juniors and has been throwing the football all of his football life. I don't think film sharing is done in SW VIR much of any where. They will be tough and hard nosed but will not match up in speed and depth. IF South doesn't get the big head it will be a blow out.45 to 14 GO REBS

How did everything go friday at East ?

Tennessee schools should always beat Virginia schools, especially early in the season. Virginia doesn't allow spring practice and Tennessee allows several scrimmages as compared to 2 for VA schools. That being said, it should be a closer game this year with what we have returning. Hopefully we'll have Clark back full speed this week. He's not the entire team, but having him out there is a major plus. Hopefully both teams will come out of this one healthy. Should be a huge crowd.

Come own now this team has been playing together or against each other from the same play book from age 8, your boys play a year longer with the hold back option. The coaches know what they have when they step on the field on the 1st Friday night as well as any TN team. GC could play with about any Tn team their size in the state.I would think this game was set up for money more than any thing.

How did everything go friday at East ?

East has a top notch running back in #4. He went out with cramps and sealed their fate. East is playing good solid ball and getting better not worse as in the past few years. Our D made some great stops at just the right times.Turn overs hurt both teams. Mark my words East will beat some one they are not supposed to before this year is over. #7s ribs are about back to 100% and we go back to East Thur to do the JV then to to Rye Cove on Friday night. Our starting QB got 12 stiches in his head yesterday from a wake board.