South vs. Gate City. 2010

firstrebel81

I will respond to the first paragraph, but leave the second alone due to its incoherency.

First, in common usage, a defensive back is a corner or a safety. Secondly, they are not making tons of tackles. Please!

You unfairly call out the line and then absolve the backs because they are lined up 7-15 yards downfield. Please! Listen carefully: It is not illegal or uncommon for backs to make tackles downfield on running plays. Yet, in your world, the game is lost if runners get through the line. PLEASE!

Vaughn gets stopped at 7-15 or even 25 yards, any of three seperate times, South wins.

Now if you would like to continue calling out players, I can play that game.

ps I have seen every play.

Please guys, let's not argue...at least with each other. I agree that if the DB's are making the majority of the tackles then we have a problem. Of course they weren't making the majority of the tackles but they were taking the criticism for missing the tackles on the TD runs. Is that unfair? Yes. Is it unrealistic? Of course not. Why? Because of the above red highlighted statement. Our DB's have taken heat since preseason for being the soft spot in the 2010 D. Why? Mainly because Coach Weston is not with us any longer. Our DB's are in fact doing an admirable job and actually making things happen. Can they do better? Of course. But the reality is this: Our DB's will see this same scenario against DB and again against Bristol. And trust me, we need them to be well prepared for it. Their RB's are going to hit the secondary. I have always said and anyone who knows football knows that Cornerback is the hardest position to coach and play on the field. Period. So that said, it as well is one of the most important...especially against a breakaway runner. We were blessed with two runners who lived in the secondary. Breakaway runners are just that...tackle breakers...they hit 2nd gear and the secondary is the only prayer you have left. A good RB is not great until he can leave the LB'ing corp behind as he hits 2nd gear. DB has 3 that can hit 2nd gear. Bristol has 2. We lost the game because of turnovers. But it would have been nice to know the secondary had our back. And you thought the linemen had the only thankless job! And yes, AJ played a wonderful game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost this game in 2 areas...1)taking care of the ball and 2) our line got dominated. They ran between the tackles all night. And guess what crawdad, a "safety" is named that for a reason. If the DBs are having to make all the tackles, you've already lost.

As for the play calling, it could've been better at times. It was just a little too predictable. I thought we could've passed on them all night.

its time to bench some players and play your sr's......

I will respond to the first paragraph, but leave the second alone due to its incoherency.

First, in common usage, a defensive back is a corner or a safety. Secondly, they are not making tons of tackles. Please!

You unfairly call out the line and then absolve the backs because they are lined up 7-15 yards downfield. Please! Listen carefully: It is not illegal or uncommon for backs to make tackles downfield on running plays. Yet, in your world, the game is lost if runners get through the line. PLEASE!

Vaughn gets stopped at 7-15 or even 25 yards, any of three seperate times, South wins.

Now if you would like to continue calling out players, I can play that game.

ps I have seen every play.

Let me make this apology public. I'm sorry if any of your children play the positions I mentioned or happened to have any part in the turnovers Friday night. A loss is tough for all to swallow.

I was just stating what I "thought" cost us the game and I know opinions vary. Hopefully, Friday night we'll take care of the ball, win the battle in the trenches, not miss any tackles, improve our play calling, and come away with a much needed win.

We can still make the playoffs!

Go Rebels!!!!

I hit a wrong button or something. Anyway:

Let me make this apology public. I'm sorry if any of your children play the positions I mentioned or happened to have any part in the turnovers Friday night. A loss is tough for all to swallow.

I was just stating what I "thought" cost us the game and I know opinions vary. Hopefully, Friday night we'll take care of the ball, win the battle in the trenches, not miss any tackles, improve our play calling, and come away with a much needed win.

Go Rebels!!!!

I hit a wrong button or something. Anyway:

Go Rebels!!!!

Please two...did your wife make you write this? Do me a favor, when round ball season rolls around give it to me straight! Hold no punches. I trust people who can and will speak their mind. Besides, my understanding is that Nick Solt had to prove that he in fact is a dedicated Rebel Senior Captain. My son lost a game one time also. Can't run from the fact. But, win or lose they are getting better...and by a large margin! I think their best game has not happened yet. They got some fire in them...and I guarantee you we are going to see it come out at just the right time.

Please two...did your wife make you write this? Do me a favor, when round ball season rolls around give it to me straight! Hold no punches. I trust people who can and will speak their mind. Besides, my understanding is that Nick Solt had to prove that he in fact is a dedicated Rebel Senior Captain. My son lost a game one time also. Can't run from the fact. But, win or lose they are getting better...and by a large margin! I think their best game has not happened yet. They got some fire in them...and I guarantee you we are going to see it come out at just the right time.

Comp, sometimes you just have to smile and concede a fruitless battle.

You know people don't want it straight any more. We(society in general)have gotten weak and can't handle the critique...especially when it comes to our little babies. I will hold my straight talk for those that can handle it.

I, for one, hope the coaches are in their butts this week. I hope Monday is full pads again as before Boone. I hope they do tackle and blocking drills until they puke.

I too applaud Nick for his leadership...and some others. But we need more and we are starting to see more kids stepping up.

We lost this game in 2 areas...1)taking care of the ball and 2) our line got dominated. They ran between the tackles all night. And guess what crawdad, a "safety" is named that for a reason. If the DBs are having to make all the tackles, you've already lost.

As for the play calling, it could've been better at times. It was just a little too predictable. I thought we could've passed on them all night.

One thing lost this game---fumbles. Yes, neither defensive line could stop the others offense, but GC did a better job than South. DB tackling??----you are correct, if runners get to the secondary as many times as GC did, then it's bad already. But----the Corner Backs have to play tough run defense and tackle (on any playing field, I don't care if it's pro or 9 yr old football)----CBs have to come up and make tackles. If they come up and hit high--they must keep their legs driving thru the player. If they come up and give themselves up, then they must tackle low and take the runner's feet out. South has to be more agressive on the corners.

Comp, sometimes you just have to smile and concede a fruitless battle.

You know people don't want it straight any more. We(society in general)have gotten weak and can't handle the critique...especially when it comes to our little babies. I will hold my straight talk for those that can handle it.

Oh, my heavens, can't believe you said that. If you have a son, why don't you go buy a DVD and critique the film and his play on Saturday in the privacy of your living room, instead of critiquing the team on on here. Come on here and talk football, but you should try to be careful who you call out on the team. And another thing, not long ago you were being so humble and apologizing and now you come on and say "sometimes you have to smile and concede". Must not have been a sincere apology. HuHHHHHHH!!!

its time to bench some players and play your sr's......

I sure have to agree with this post. What's the deal? You get to be a Senior and you sit the bench? Me and mama didn't go to the game because of the rain so I listened to the radidido. I couldn't figure out who had paid more for advertising: Tony Shipley running for some seat or The Wonderful Outstanding Remarkable Excellent Play Caller Jordan. Shewish. Give us a break! Course most of you know how I feel about that joker anyway. I say bench him!

One thing lost this game---fumbles. Yes, neither defensive line could stop the others offense, but GC did a better job than South. DB tackling??----you are correct, if runners get to the secondary as many times as GC did, then it's bad already. But----the Corner Backs have to play tough run defense and tackle (on any playing field, I don't care if it's pro or 9 yr old football)----CBs have to come up and make tackles. If they come up and hit high--they must keep their legs driving thru the player. If they come up and give themselves up, then they must tackle low and take the runner's feet out. South has to be more agressive on the corners.

The one thing that lost the game for South was that Gate City had 3 more points than you did.