South vs. Gate City. 2010

firstrebel81

I'm shocked to....but how many QB keepers can you call in one game before a team catches on..when you have very good rb's that you could be running the ball.And our wr were open all night.And guess what lets run a QB keeper..come on...And its not Heath's fought he just run's the play's that is called from the sideline..or should I say press box.

I agree to a certain extent. There are other players on that team but the QB BY FAR is the playmaker (with his feet not his arm) and will more than likely lead the team in rushing yards by the end of the season... and the coaches obviously realize that. But they do need to spread the ball around to try to generate some other form of offense. Otherwise they won't be able to move the ball AT ALL on some of the better teams that are in the BIG 8. No disrespect... I just call it like I see it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there is more to coaching than play calling...its a team effort...If you think the play calling has been good so far then I must be the only South fan that is wrong....not. And don't get me wrong I love all of our Coaches but it's not all on the kids. And you can call it not good all you want I just call it as I see it..and sorry but I'm not the only one.If you were sitting in the stands last night you could hear it without a problem...sorry... :thumb:

I have no idea what you are saying. I DO NOT put it on the players. "There is more to coaching than just play calling." That means they are lacking in other areas. Preparation, Development, Player Placement, Dynamic Leadership from coaches, Instilling a winning attitude.....etc., etc. Take your pick.

I agree to a certain extent. There are other players on that team but the QB BY FAR is the playmaker (with his feet not his arm) and will more than likely lead the team in rushing yards by the end of the season... and the coaches obviously realize that. But they do need to spread the ball around to try to generate some other form of offense. Otherwise they won't be able to move the ball AT ALL on some of the better teams that are in the BIG 8. No disrespect... I just call it like I see it.

Thats what I'm talking about they need to spread it around more often....South is loaded with play makers...and Heath is one of them and not the only one..lets see you have Steffy,Wagner,Shanks,Garvin,Cassell,Weaver...and I hope Crowe pretty soon so we have all kinds of playmakers...and I'm not saying anything bad about Heath because he is a great player..but we don't need to be putting it all on him.And you are right this want work in the games to come.Maybe Central and then its hard core the rest of the way. :thumb:

I have no idea what you are saying. I DO NOT put it on the players. "There is more to coaching than just play calling." That means they are lacking in other areas. Preparation, Development, Player Placement, Dynamic Leadership from coaches, Instilling a winning attitude.....etc., etc. Take your pick.

I agree...Sorry but I wasn't talking about you putting it on the player's. :thumb:

Thats what I'm talking about they need to spread it around more often....South is loaded with play makers...and Heath is one of them and not the only one..lets see you have Steffy,Wagner,Shanks,Garvin,Cassell,Weaver...and I hope Crowe pretty soon so we have all kinds of playmakers...and I'm not saying anything bad about Heath because he is a great player..but we don't need to be putting it all on him.And you are right this want work in the games to come.Maybe Central and then its hard core the rest of the way. :thumb:

jhilts and RRN and other South fans:I agree on spreading it around more. that's the way of the spread. We had 3 RBS involved last night, and WRs Shanks, Garvin,& Steffey. Hopefully that will continue to evolve. Steffey had some big plays last night and shows some promise. We did have over 500 yds. of total offense last night which should be enough to win with. I still believe this one was going our way if #1 had been able to go the distance. Any word on him RRN?

Maybe others saw it differently, and I am not above constructive criticism of coaching, but the game was lost by South in 2 critical areas. The first was ball security which cost us the West game as well. The second area was very poor tackling by our DBs. We have 1 LB making 20 tackles a game and often if a ball carrier gets into our secondary he is gone. Would we look differently with Coach Weston still on board? I'm interested in how others see our shortcomings and thoughts on what coaches should be doing to tighten things up as we head down the stretch. I hope the fans of the program will stay positive and supportive of the kids. There is a lot left to play for and they need our support. We may have lost to two state champions already this season.

REBEL NATION thumb[1].gif

jhilts and RRN and other South fans:I agree on spreading it around more. that's the way of the spread. We had 3 RBS involved last night, and WRs Shanks, Garvin,& Steffey. Hopefully that will continue to evolve. Steffey had some big plays last night and shows some promise. We did have over 500 yds. of total offense last night which should be enough to win with. I still believe this one was going our way if #1 had been able to go the distance. Any word on him RRN?

Maybe others saw it differently, and I am not above constructive criticism of coaching, but the game was lost by South in 2 critical areas. The first was ball security which cost us the West game as well. The second area was very poor tackling by our DBs. We have 1 LB making 20 tackles a game and often if a ball carrier gets into our secondary he is gone. Would we look differently with Coach Weston still on board? I'm interested in how others see our shortcomings and thoughts on what coaches should be doing to tighten things up as we head down the stretch. I hope the fans of the program will stay positive and supportive of the kids. There is a lot left to play for and they need our support. We may have lost to two state champions already this season.

We lost this game in 2 areas...1)taking care of the ball and 2) our line got dominated. They ran between the tackles all night. And guess what crawdad, a "safety" is named that for a reason. If the DBs are having to make all the tackles, you've already lost.

As for the play calling, it could've been better at times. It was just a little too predictable. I thought we could've passed on them all night.

Good post Cap.People who were at the DB vs Sevier Co. game last

night,said DB moved the ball around with thier play makers so much

that the bears didn't know who had the ball.Sensabaugh was covered

and tackled all night.That left the QB and other backs open.Good

stragety and play calling.

South's QB is a player,but they need to get the other backs

involved in the game more IMO.

We lost this game in 2 areas...1)taking care of the ball and 2) our line got dominated. They ran between the tackles all night. And guess what crawdad, a "safety" is named that for a reason. If the DBs are having to make all the tackles, you've already lost.

As for the play calling, it could've been better at times. It was just a little too predictable. I thought we could've passed on them all night.

Please!

I agree 100% my friend..For number 1 he has a knee injury he hyperextended his knee last night.I don't know if he will be ready for Central or not.Only time and ice will tell.We have quite a few people beat up right now so after the Central game will be a much needed rest for our boy's. :thumb:

I thought we played wonderfully, reletively speaking. I haven't seen it yet but when you see film you will see 5 or 6 total breakdowns on the D line. Haynie, better than anyone, understands the blocking scheme of their offense. Double teams, crossblocks, isolations with fullback kickouts, tight end crashes... These are power running offense paradigms. There did not seem to be any adjustments. I think why is because for the most part our D line was handling it. And then there would be a break. Such is the core of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. The hope is that sooner or later the execution will bear on the stamina of the D line and eventually a break for a long gainer. Couple those few total breakdowns with 5 turnovers and you have a recipe for failure. We gave them the game on a silver platter. Otherwise they would have run away with it. Give DB these mistakes and it will be 50 to zip. True, our DB's are not as blood thirsty as in the past, but they still have the smell for an interception. Jerry Weston? With Weston, you get beat deep once you pay. You get beat deep twice you find yourself another job. I'm sorry but Weston's forte' was the best run lockdown corners in the league. Charlie Columbo comes to mind. He got beat deep in Maryville...never again. So I am saying, I am good with our DB's. But they need to get tougher because a good power running offense accounts for every down lineman and linebacker which leaves just the DB to save the play. You can say it's the D lines fault. Then you get down there and see what it is like to take on a crossblock and find the ball and then make the tackle. Make no mistake, a good power running offense accounts for everyone in the box...everyone. A RB gets past the box where is he? DB's need to toughen up. The offense is making headway but the core of the problem is still evident. The play calling is worlds better. The passing game is settling in. We still are not getting Jordan outside. And we still are not getting the ball in the hands of #15. But, we have other playmakers emerging...and quickly. As for the line I still see the middle clogged up. I don't think they really understand the concept of zone blocking in real time. It is so simple it is pathetic. It is almost totally oposite of a power running blocking scheme. However, I think we are improving drastically every week. But rain or shine you cannot fumble the football. Last night it cost us the game...literally. I mean we fumble on the 4 yard line with 2 minutes to go. But how did we get to the 4 yard line? We moved the ball all night. Running and passing. When a college coach looks at film the first thing on his mind is ball security. Then he looks for speed and everything else. I am still a Rebel. And I still feel we have a shot at anyone on our schedule. And I think we are finding new playmakers every week. We are getting better not worse. It has been long enough I agree. But now it is now or never. We either decide the rest of our season begins now or we will fumble our way to Halloween. The talk at the supper table for the next two weeks is probably more important than the food. Good luck Dads. Rebel Nation

Please!

Please what? I'm listening. Are you disagreeing that if the DBs are making tons of tackles (obviously downfield) tackles, that's a good thing???? You do watch football, don't you. DBs are lined up between 7-15 yards downfield when the ball is snapped.

Don't misunderstand, I saw missed tackles all night from all positions, including DBs. Regardless, if they lead you in tackles, it's not good. And if the MLB has 20 tackles, was there another lineman or linebacker with more than 1??? Couldn't have been. Although, I will congratulate 86 for several stops. Other than that, their RBs hit the defensive backfield untouched for much of the game.

Please what? I'm listening. Are you disagreeing that if the DBs are making tons of tackles (obviously downfield) tackles, that's a good thing???? You do watch football, don't you. DBs are lined up between 7-15 yards downfield when the ball is snapped.

Don't misunderstand, I saw missed tackles all night from all positions, including DBs. Regardless, if they lead you in tackles, it's not good. And if the MLB has 20 tackles, was there another lineman or linebacker with more than 1??? Couldn't have been. Although, I will congratulate 86 for several stops. Other than that, their RBs hit the defensive backfield untouched for much of the game.

I will respond to the first paragraph, but leave the second alone due to its incoherency.

First, in common usage, a defensive back is a corner or a safety. Secondly, they are not making tons of tackles. Please!

You unfairly call out the line and then absolve the backs because they are lined up 7-15 yards downfield. Please! Listen carefully: It is not illegal or uncommon for backs to make tackles downfield on running plays. Yet, in your world, the game is lost if runners get through the line. PLEASE!

Vaughn gets stopped at 7-15 or even 25 yards, any of three seperate times, South wins.

Now if you would like to continue calling out players, I can play that game.

ps I have seen every play.